• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethrd Phantom vs. Cruzr XC

Jayo

Has anyone compared the two? Thoughts, concerns and/or recommendations? I have the Phantom now but been hearing great things about the Cruzr xc.

Thanks. I've seen this. Wondering if anyone else has a different review or first hand experience?

Curious to hear feedback. The narrow(er) straps on the Phantom are the big point of discomfort for me. The larger arse looks awesome as well.

Curious to hear feedback. The narrow(er) straps on the Phantom are the big point of discomfort for me. The larger arse looks awesome as well.

I haven't been able to get as comfortable in the Phantom as I figured I would.

I have sat in both but only for five minutes a piece. Between the two, I thought the Cruzr XC was the most comfortable. I liked how you have the option to pull the top pleat up and the bottom pleat down...or both pleats down. I was able to get all mesh on my hips instead of webbing, which I liked. For leaning with the Cruzr, there's more coverage than the Phantom even with the flex portion closed, which I liked. I did like the phantom too. Good upgrades from the Mantis. I bought a Cruzr XC. True test will be sitting for hours. Five minutes doesn't really give either a fair shake in my opinion, but the initial comfort of the Cruzr XC left an impression.

I had both. I sold my phantom because the H2 was more comfortable for me. I will sell the H2 and keep the recon for a minimalist option.
I am sure the cruzr is more comfortable than an H2 or phantom or recon or kestrel or flex. Zero pressure on the hips. I got the Cruzr on Monday.
I like the legs straps on the Cruzr. The buckles are the best I have had on a saddle. The amsteel bridge is a cross between and ultribridge and the triad bridge.
The only draw back compared to a phantom is it is heavier and a bit bulkier. The saddle is huge but it packs small.

The lineman’s loops are visible open but not as big as a phantom.
I like the loops on the Cruzr better even though they are smaller.

Also the mesh on the Cruzr seems to flex like fleece or spandex which adds to the comfort. The material makes it more comfortable than a flex and more pack able.

I have sat in the Cruzr a couple of times for an hour each time. I have never felt so little hip pinch in any saddle other than a JX3.
I think long sits will be enjoyable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I had both. I sold my phantom because the H2 was more comfortable for me. I will sell the H2 and keep the recon for a minimalist option.
I am sure the cruzr is more comfortable than an H2 or phantom or recon or kestrel or flex. Zero pressure on the hips. I got the Cruzr on Monday.
I like the legs straps on the Cruzr. The buckles are the best I have had on a saddle. The amsteel bridge is a cross between and ultribridge and the triad bridge.
The only draw back compared to a phantom is it is heavier and a bit bulkier. The saddle is huge but it packs small.

The lineman’s loops are visible open but not as big as a phantom.
I like the loops on the Cruzr better even though they are smaller.

Also the mesh on the Cruzr seems to flex like fleece or spandex which adds to the comfort. The material makes it more comfortable than a flex and more pack able.

I have sat in the Cruzr a couple of times for an hour each time. I have never felt so little hip pinch in any saddle other than a JX3.
I think long sits will be enjoyable.

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Is there any concern being they are a newer company with no 3rd party weight testing, etc.?

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Is there any concern being they are a newer company with no 3rd party weight testing, etc.?

I think the sewing looks as good as a recon or aero hunter product. I am not worried At all

I have both. I like both but the Cruzr XC will be my preferred saddle. I'm probably going to sell the Phantom. I would keep it, but I already have a Kite with an adjustable bridge. I'm trying to keep everything (all settings, adjustments, positionings) the same. The adjustment for the bridge on my Cruzr & Kite is at my left hand, but at my right hand on the Phantom. I'm lefty and prefer the adjustment to my left. Plus I really don't need 3 or more saddles.

I have a Phantom and just ordered a Cruzr XR. Im a brand new saddle hunter and have yet to sit in either or any saddle for that matter. I did wear the Phantom around my kitchen but thats it.. Ordered the Cruzr last night after I keep reading how comfortable it is. Im going to take both out at the same time and see what I learn.

I have a Phantom and just ordered a Cruzr XR. Im a brand new saddle hunter and have yet to sit in either or any saddle for that matter. I did wear the Phantom around my kitchen but thats it.. Ordered the Cruzr last night after I keep reading how comfortable it is. Im going to take both out at the same time and see what I learn.
Good idea. We are all different. The phantom is a good choice for some people. Light, minimalistic, and likely comfortable for some guys.

Post your opinion on one vs the other. We're all learning here.

Post your opinion on one vs the other. We're all learning here.
I will take the Cruzr every day. But it is bulkier and heavier. The Cruzer is more comfortable, has a great bridge, great bridge loops, perfect linemans loops, I like the leg straps better, and the stitching better, I like the Tethrd guys but the Cruzr is the best I have tried, IMO>
I really don't like running down the competition because the saddles are so much better than four years ago, even the phantom. But I would recommend a Cruzr over a phantom, but a minimimalist leaner might not. The phantom might be a perfect saddle for a child or a young skinny guy with a 30 waist or a leaner who wants light, light, light. Maybe, some guys accept hip pinch as normal and necessary. I like the Cruzr because hip pinch is a great big zero.

Last edited:
Man I was sold on getting a recon soon (wanted to see Tetherd's version first) but the Cruzr has me slightly questioning my decision. I will most likely stick with a Recon as I mainly hunt way back on mountains. @Ontariofarmer I'm interested in your comparison of the two.

The recon is as different as a JX3 to the rest of the saddles. I am not sure what I think but I am not selling it.
The pressure points for comfort can be shifted. The Cruzr doesn’t need any shifting to be comfortable. I will use the recon this fall as my most minimalist option. I don’t think it will beat a Cruzr for comfort. It costs less and may be similar to an H2 for comfort. Good but not the best.

I was sold on the Phantom (based on reviews) until the Cruzr came along, but I don't know I'll buy it until I see some independent testing. Not trusting my life (my ability to walk, hold my kid, etc.) to any product that hasn't been thoroughly put through the ringer by an unbiased source.

I was sold on the Phantom (based on reviews) until the Cruzr came along, but I don't know I'll buy it until I see some independent testing. Not trusting my life (my ability to walk, hold my kid, etc.) to any product that hasn't been thoroughly put through the ringer by an unbiased source.

It’s as safe as any other saddle.
Check your equipment daily. Here is a picture of a phantom bridge on Facebook.
7b2dfb70a3ef74832fca4a09979ba956.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s as safe as any other saddle.
Check your equipment daily. Here is a picture of a phantom bridge on Facebook.
7b2dfb70a3ef74832fca4a09979ba956.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yea I was not a fan of the comfort channels. I would rather have plain Jane Bridge loops. I also wish they made atleast 2 sizes cuz the phantom is on the smaller side. Lots of discomfort for me when sitting on the outside of the thighs.

I am pretty confident the Cruzr XC will be a solid saddle. The stitching looks good. Seems very well made. Wish it had Raptor or ISC buckles instead of some no name buckles.

I already changed out the leg buckles and I will be changing the waist buckle for peice of mind.

Back