• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethrd ropes alternative

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
Did some research and tethrd seems to use 1/2" R&W rope. I bought a 9ft piece for 30.00 and paid 20.00 for a 5" hand splice. So 50.00 for a new tether. Goes to show that tethrd really does offer a good deal on their tethers selling them for 59.99 and they include a prusik and carabiner. I just wanted to post this as an FYI for those that need a tether when tethrd is sold out.

Did some research and tethrd seems to use 1/2" R&W rope. I bought a 9ft piece for 30.00 and paid 20.00 for a 5" hand splice. So 50.00 for a new tether. Goes to show that tethrd really does offer a good deal on their tethers selling them for 59.99 and they include a prusik and carabiner. I just wanted to post this as an FYI for those that need a tether when tethrd is sold out.
Other than the anchor of a caribiner, what makes the tethrd product so much better (by $40) than the HSS safety tree strap? I've been checking out replacement ideas for the HSS lately.

Other than the anchor of a caribiner, what makes the tethrd product so much better (by $40) than the HSS safety tree strap? I've been checking out replacement ideas for the HSS lately.
HSS strap is specifically a fall-arrest, not fall-prevention, rope. It’s rated about 3500# lower than the Tethrd ropes, and recommend that you chuck it in the trash if it ever has to catch a fall.
Use the HSS ropes for your lineman’s belt and put a little dough into your main support line. I don’t know you personally, but I can assume your life is worth an extra $40 ;)

Also, the HSS ropes are MUCH less fun to work with than the climbing ropes Tethrd uses. The sheaths on the Tethrd ropes ride the cores better, and are a good bit more malleable.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

HSS strap is specifically a fall-arrest, not fall-prevention, rope. It’s rated about 3500# lower than the Tethrd ropes, and recommend that you chuck it in the trash if it ever has to catch a fall.
Use the HSS ropes for your lineman’s belt and put a little dough into your main support line. I don’t know you personally, but I can assume your life is worth an extra $40 ;)

In all fairness, if you ever dynamically load ANY static rope it should be replaced. That goes for tethrd ropes as well. It doesn't take much of a fall to cause trauma to a static rope.

There are a few advantages over a HSS rope. It comes spliced which saves room or if you buy the R&W rope which is the same as tethrd uses, it is able to be spliced and that rope is much more packable because it is not nearly as stiff as the HSS rope

Also, the HSS ropes are MUCH less fun to work with than the climbing ropes Tethrd uses. The sheaths on the Tethrd ropes ride the cores better, and are a good bit more malleable.

And the spliced eyes are way more streamlined than the tied knots.

Got mine 3 weeks ago and it’s awesome, and yes, very affordable IMO.
I’m so glad I bought the rope from tethr. I was using some 1/2” static pmi rope from REI as a tether and it kept sliding down the tree at the moment I needed it to grip the tree.. tethrds rope grips well and is so easy to use.

Back