• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethrd vs Trophline

Irondan

Ok I am just getting into saddle hunting. I am torn and have watch I think every video on the web. I am a first responder and got discount codes for both. Trophyline offers 20% off and right now you get a free ropeman 1. Tethrd is giving a 10% discount. For the same gear, saddle, pouches, and platform, Tethrd is $150 more. Thoughts on which was to go. I almost am thinking of Trophyline bundle with sticks, platform, saddle and ropeman 1 for $709 with 20% off is $567. Any input, want to make the right decision, not just base on money. Thanks and happy hunting, the itch is coming.

I went with all tethrd gear got the menace saddle and I’m very happy with the comfort and all the equipment. I haven’t had any issues with any of the gear and been out five times this year. I know it’s not a lot compared to other hunters but that my experience so far. Make sure you practice with the it all on even your bow , get to know the capabilities of the saddle hunting. Take a target with you and shoot while up 20-30 foot . Hopefully you can get comfortable by deer season . And yes the tethrd gear was more expensive unfortunately

I’ll also add some knee pads , I went no pads the first two times and my knees didn’t like that. Got me a good pair on Amazon for around $30 they look exactly the same as the tethrd knee pads but 1/2 the price

Thanks, I don’t mind spending the money if I am going to be more comfortable and get better equipment. I plan on ordering soon, and do some long distant scouting in the saddle for practice. Thanks for you post.

What's your build (height, weight)? I don't have experience with either but others with your build may be able to chime in with what saddle works for them.

What gear do you have already? Do you already have sticks or are you staying from scratch? Everything for under $600 is pretty good.

Try meeting up with some people in your state n try some on. I like a my trophyline gear but never tried their saddles. Not big on tethrd but thousands of others are for sure. If you dont like the gear u can sell it in about 5 min in the classifieds for sticker price. Dont exclude aerohunter from your search if you dont mind mixing n matching

I highly suggest not going with a TL saddle because it was NOT very comfortable. I tried the Ambush Pro and do not recommend it at all. Maybe their new Covert Lite is better, but it just a redesigned. The TL Mission seem to be popular. I understand its more convenient to order a package, but I think you would benefit more from the classified section. Shipping from sellers on there are usually 1-2 days. @MADhunts is selling the saddles from his review videos so you should check them out, selling at discount too with delivery and no taxes!

I am 5’10” 190. I have lone wolf long sticks. Thanks everyone for the input

I looked at both of those and ended up going with an H2 slingshot and so glad I did. Very good saddle and won’t break the bank.

I have a phantom and have only looked at the TL. They are made with about the same quality. The Tethrd was comfortable for me and I’m 5’8” 165. The Tethrd seems to have a little less going and I didn’t like the leg buckles on the TL. Too small to work when cold or gloves.

Trophyline's platforms are well regarded and with your extra savings it seems like a no brainer to go that route.

But I'd look beyond these two companies for your saddle.

Not saying to disregard them, just that a proper fitting and comfortable saddle is absolutely crucial to your transition into saddlehunting and for this item in particular you shouldn't limit your decision to what you can get at a discount.

Interesting.
I've owned Recon, Mantis, Covert and would rank them Covert>Recon>Mantis
Certainly nothing wrong with that either. Every one has different shape and tastes. I’m sure there are a few folks on here who would rate the recon as their last choice. Everyone Is entitled to a wrong opinion

Last edited:
I really like my TL Covert. I did change the bridge to a 1" webbing bridge instead of the included rope bridge

I really like my TL Covert. I did change the bridge to a 1" webbing bridge instead of the included rope bridge

Just curious, have you tried a cruzr XC? If so, how do you think the covert compares?
I’ve never sat in a XC.

Just curious, have you tried a cruzr XC? If so, how do you think the covert compares?
I’ve never sat in a XC.

I sat in the covert lite and the Cruzr and I have the Cruzr. Much more comfortable for me and I must kinda liked it more. Only think I had to do was change the belt buckle from a Cruzr buckle to a raptor buckle because Cruzr one kept opening when one side got pinched

I have saddle hunted for over 20 years. For the last year and half I have used a Trophy Line Covert Lite with no real complaints. I did modify both my Tether and my linemans belt. I looked at the new Trophy line Venatic. Comfort and confidence are key to me. There are many good saddles out there today.

Back