• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

thanksgiving day buck

colin.704

great morning, I was saddlehunting thanksgiving morning and spotted this guy tending a doe as soon as I climbed tree about 60yds away from me. smaller bucks were coming in and he kept running them off but I had no shot tru the trees. about 8:15am the herd came tru of about 15 or so, half were young bucks sparring right under me and does in all directions, but none pick me off. they all started to move away after about 15 minutes, along with the hot doe and this guy trailing behind. I rode an ebike in and had it parked about 100yds or so along a bend in the trail, heard deer blowing and figured they found my bike. hear some deer coming my way, was the doe with this guy trailing and she slowly walked right to me. he came in to about 16yds but was straight on and I had gotten to full draw when he stopped. he wasnt giving me a broadside shot so I picked a spot right behind the shoulder blade and let go, worried if I kept holding until he was broadside I would be too shakey. I hit where I was aming and got a passthru, but the arrow was still in him nockside sticking out about 4in. I was worried I only hit 1 lung so afher I got down I went to last place I saw him and found my arrow, but it had a bit of stomach matter in blood. backed out and went and got my dog Mason, a cup of coffee and came back 2hrs later. after about 100yds I'm only getting millimeter specks of blood every 15-20 yds and the deer trail hes been on starts splitting in all directions. Masons is on it though, he dissappears toward the creek and gets quiet, so when I find no more blood I head his way. Look over the bank and theres my little black dog, mouth full of hair, chewing on a pretty good deer in my book. I quarter him out, backpack it to the bike, and get to moms house right on time

Attachments

• mason found 1.jpg
    mason found 1.jpg
    629 KB · Views: 59
  • 9 point.jpg
    9 point.jpg
    751.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Great story. Congrats again. Are you training Mason as a deer search dog?
I take him any time I lose sight of 1, not really training him for it but he spends a lot of time with me in the woods and has found over a dozen of them for me. He won't chase deer, which is great, and he helps me find them a whole lot quicker just by the ground he can cover (he'll stay within 50yds of me, did train him to pay attention to where I'm at and not run off)

Back