• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The “Button Runner”. A 0.8 oz silent step attachment. **EDIT** read warning

mtsrunner

WARNING.

For entertainment purposes only!!

The Loop Alien XL in my second video below is NOT approved for supporting human weight. The newest version of this product is also thinner Titanium, therefore not as strong as the ones that I am using.
Don’t do what I do. Take my ideas and make them better, safer and easier to use.

I can climb over 20’ with a total weight of around 1.5 pounds (depending on step used), while remaining tethered the whole time. I never have to swing to the side of the tree or even put my knees against the tree (the things I don’t like about one sticking).

This is my own creation that combines a daisy chain and my own ‘button knot’ similar to an improved soft shackle. All from one continuous piece of Amsteel.

It is easily connected, disconnected and adjusted while at height.

For those who still like Ameristeps, Bullman Silent Approach Steps, the new Treehopper steps or even Climb Paws. This works great for climbing (stepping straight down on step), not so much for side pressure. You shouldn’t be applying side pressure when climbing anyway.

It works for EWO squirrel steps, but not as well due to their narrow width and design. I do have a sub-1 ounce solution for squirrel steps that also features no moving parts. Stay tuned.

Anyway, I have digressed. I use a 48” Dyneema sling as a CAYG aider. I’m traveling for work, but I can demo this and someone can video at the Greater Carolinas event Saturday.

7a5db339b7c2aba16a6d9eb47c832a5e.jpg
802a077b5f385d0a1a25127e81164f98.jpg
dd62cd552478c4f6954dc1fce028d622.jpg
e119f73bf1863e0e0b34eb935580f695.jpg
9376416aa7ca45a0d7faf0694eed3bea.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in for the vid. I will understand better once i see it. also, I love new ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Look forward to seeing this in action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really interested in the SS version. I like the ocbs but they are hard to completely cover with stealth strips. I get little clanks here and there that I would like to avoid, plus they would pack down even smaller without the buckles.

Interested, I just picked up some SS and already had some silent approach steps.

I won’t be able to get pics/videos of the squirrel step solution until this weekend. It’s a lot easier to make than the button runner, but might wear out the Amsteel faster. Definitely needs more testing.

Can’t wait for the vid. Wish I were smart enough to come up with ideas like this.

Can’t wait for the vid. Wish I were smart enough to come up with ideas like this.

Ha! I don’t know how smart it is. I’d love to know how many hours I’ve spent on my great ideas that turned out to suck.

Anyway, both of these ideas I am trying out are really just things I have tried out while trying to find lightweight ways to hang hammocks and tarps. Hammock camping and elevated hunting have a ton of crossover applications.

I like it, I tried doing something like this with the old aluminum steps, and felt like I needed to get them tighter. I bet the Ameristeps are the most forgiving of those steps you listed, is that your experience?

I like it, I tried doing something like this with the old aluminum steps, and felt like I needed to get them tighter. I bet the Ameristeps are the most forgiving of those steps you listed, is that your experience?

So far, yes the wide diameter of the Ameristeps seems to help with this design.

Silent Approach steps flip over horribly even with the cam buckle, given the design. I have 16 of them that I hardly every use. Given my experience with those steps, I can't imagine it working for those steps unless you have vastly superior climbing skills compared to me (which is possible!).

Silent Approach steps flip over horribly even with the cam buckle, given the design. I have 16 of them that I hardly every use. Given my experience with those steps, I can't imagine it working for those steps unless you have vastly superior climbing skills compared to me (which is possible!).

I will find out soon. I have 8 of them coming.

Sorry to be blunt, but then why did you recommend this method for them prior to any testing?

No worries. I will eat crow if they don’t work. The SA steps should work even better than the type of design shared by squirrel, Ameristeps and Treehopper due to physics.

Back