• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The “football” shaped saddle concept

Sheldon

As others I was following the intro of the Phantom. Have made 15 or so different DIY rigs trying different things in search of nirvana. I fall into the category of “fatty” with “no ass at all syndrome” so finding something that rides well has been a challenge. My efforts kept leading me to believe I needed a bigger panel. Seeing the Phantom’s much smaller symmetric design I thought there is no way this could possibly be comfortable for someone like me.

Seeing how it compared size wise to the mantis, and since I am iced in, picked up some stuff I had laying around and tacked together something similar. This thing is “rough”, as I am out of grosgrain, and just wanting to test the premise. The only word that comes to mind after test sitting is SHOCKED! This won’t be news to @G2 and the gang that have tried it but for everyone else this design is a WINNER! I see an XL Mantis for sale in the very near future.
c6c8dd58e9c863dd7bfaf485e3704574.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe the H2 saddles have a football shape to them. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought I saw it explained on another thread. Basically it doesn’t have the football shape. Waistband or top is straight, however the cupping is achieved using two panel construction in the butt cup section. Bottom line it seems there is more than 1 way to cup a hunters backside with comfort and respect.

Someone correct me if I’m off on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I saw it explained on another thread. Basically it doesn’t have the football shape. Waistband or top is straight, however the cupping is achieved using two panel construction in the butt cup section. Bottom line it seems there is more than 1 way to cup a hunters backside with comfort and respect.

Someone correct me if I’m off on this.

Never seen an H2 in real life so don’t know. Looks very similar to the kestrel clone posted here. That achieves the cupage via the 2 panel construction. Someone posted a template on that link for cutting out the panels. The panels are sewn curve to curve forming the cup with straight lines top and bottom. I used the template the opposite way putting the straight lines together. All I know is I’m liking it.

My main interest was really in the reduced footprint. That is what was counterintuitive from the direction I was going.

Reduced footprint as in overall saddle size top to bottom?

Do you have dimensions of the two?

Reduced footprint as in overall saddle size top to bottom?

Do you have dimensions of the two?

The video review from Southern Outdoorsman has the Phantom overlaid on a Mantis. One of those Easter eggs I suppose, I took my XL Mantis and the template from the DIY kestrel and started guessing. I made this longer width wise with longer bridge loops (as I am a fat ass and webbing digging in is more comfortable than the bridge digging in). But to answer your question it appears the top to bottom dimension is around 3” less or so. Will get some pics later.

Back