• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The Best Public-Legal Climbing Method

Nutterbuster

SH Member
After kicking it around since @DanO sent me the first prototype back in november of last year, I finally pulled the trigger and bought 8 of them. Bear in mind this happened about 3 days after I bought the LWCG minis to try. Even though I think that those are definitely the best stock sticks available (despite the fact that they are super expensive and not exactly as-promised) they still suck to pack and carry, especially since I am so accustomed to a small roll of bolts and a treehopper drill.

For those who havent done the math on 8 steps with straps and OCB buckles, they weigh roughly 4.5lbs, and fit in a 5 step wild edge step bag with room to spare. They fit inside every single backpack and fanny pack I own, and can be unpacked and slung over a shoulder (ready to climb) in less than a minute. They do not clank, slide around on the tree, or require the use of aiders. They can be completely silenced with inexpensive vet tape.

They're basically perfect.

I spent an awesome weekend with @denots and @kyler1945, and had a chance to video me and denots climbing the same tree. To get to 16ft, it took both of us 4.5 minutes. I unpacked, set, and climbed 8 steps in the time it took him to hang 2 sticks with 5 step aiders. It took him a total of 6.5 minutes to set all three sticks, and I am confident that I could have set another 4 steps in the same amount of time. Also, that climb was my very first ascent up a tree using the squirrel steps, while denots has climbed with his setup before. I think we could probably both better our time.

For my style of hunting (light, mobile, compact, simple, and safety conscious), I do not think there is a better public-legal method. Given the ease of strapping steps vs drilling, I can even see myself using these in places where bolts are legal, especially if I suspect I'll be climbing very young trees or pines.

I know a lot of you have heard my complaints regarding other public-legal methods, but I want to take a quick second to summarize my experiences with the substitute products I've tried.

The first thing I tried was Lone Wolf full-length sticks. Any full length stick is an absolute dog to pack without a treestand to strap them to. They got hung up dreadfully in palmetto flats and yaupon thickets, didn't fit well in my kayak, and were prone to swinging around and clanking. They were also the heaviest method I have ever tried.

I moved on the wild edge steps, which were definitely lighter and more compact. However, despite practicing nearly daily with them for several months, I found that they were just "fiddly" to set on a lot of trees.

Also, they didn't make sense weight-wise without some kind of aider. I am disinclined to use single step aiders, and vehemently opposed to using multistep aiders, especially with the wild edge steps. I have seen and heard about too many kick offs to trust those 20ft up and 2 miles back off a backwater slough.

And while Wild Edge advertises the steps as public-legal, I found that they frequently caused some ugly looking damage to some trees. If I am in a place where I think an encounter with an overly zealous DCNR employee is likely, I do not want to have sap oozing out of a tree! If I'm going through the hassle of carrying a public-legal method instead of bolts, I want 0 bark penetration.

I briefly experimented with bullman steps at saddlepalooza. I never hunted with them, but I found then thoroughly "meh," and didn't care for their slick feel and small step area. The curved strap slot also seemed weird and not conducive to getting them tight to a tree. They slid down a good bit when weight was applied.

Cranfords have probably proved the most satisfactory, but they are CHONKY little things weight-wise, the rope system can be fiddly, and they are hard to get tight on a tree. They are inexpensive though, and definitely usable.

I don't say all of this to bash the other alternatives. I'm just saying that they all had some shortcomings that made them frustrating for me to use. The first time I climbed with bolts, it felt natural and very safe, and they have never once inconvenienced me when it came time to load up and pound thickets. The couple of climbs and excursions I have made with squirrel steps have felt the same way.

I am much, MUCH happier with them than I have been with the cranfords and LWCG sticks I have been playing with. The only down side I can think of is price. They str not cheap.

However, compared to beast sticks, customized diy sticks, lwcg sticks, and other high-end climbing methods, they've not unreasonable. I wish I had just bought 15 of them to use as a platform and climbing method when I first started, and skipped all the other nonsense. I did talk to @DanO, and I believe he is offering a discount for folks buying 8 or more to help offset that high price.

I know that's a wall of text, but I havent been this pumped about a product since I got my first kestrel in the mail. WAY more excited about these than the LWCG sticks. Super pumped, and I think my enthusiasm rubbed off on the ever-skeptical @kyler1945 as well. ;)

I'll be doing a video on them at some point this week. The video will include the "race" I had with Denots if the footage is usable (havent seen it yet.)

Update: here's the first video of me climbing and descending with 8 steps. I start flat footed with the steps inside my Badlands Silent Reaper, and climb down and pack everything back up.

Last edited:
Really appreciate this breakdown. I believe you just saved me several hundred bucks in gear trials.

Im glad to hear that you like the squirrel steps as a climbing system. I'll be testing mine out as a climbing method once I get the straps and ocbs from dano. Very much looking forward to the bulk reduction it'll offer.

Nice write up. It’s a little costly but if it makes the best system for you it is worth it.Out of curiosity have you tried an old ameristeps strap with the cam buckle. It may be even heavier than the ocb and may not be stable enough with a 3/4 step.

Oh and for those planning on ordering squirrel steps as a platform for this season don’t wait. They are already back ordered and if @Nutterbuster starts a trend on using them for climbing people will be ordering in batches of 10.

Nice write up. It’s a little costly but if it makes the best system for you it is worth it.Out of curiosity have you tried an old ameristeps strap with the cam buckle. It may be even heavier than the ocb and may not be stable enough with a 3/4 step.
Actually, ameristeps were my first attempt at a climbing method. Before I knew what a saddle was, I had bought probably 40 of them off of an old guy for about as many dollars. They worked well enough, but 8-10 of them just got heavy and bulky fast.

I don't know how steady a .75" step would be with just a cam strap. A cam buckle is definitely heavier than an OCB, and nowhere near as tight.

Cam buckle is about half the cost of an OCB. Is quieter. Possibly better weight rated. Doesn't get as tight as an OCB.

Been playing with Cranfords on a strap with both a cam and an OCB and both work well, tighter than the rope. Is it worth replacing the rope for straps? Not sure yet. I think in cold weather, the Cranford ropes won't be so fun.

For what it is worth, with Cranfords you wouldn't need a flat hook.

The setup weighs exactly as much as the Cranford's. They compare favorably for me in the ease of setup, and how tight they get to the tree.

Like Nutter said - I was quite skeptical. I didn't see the value proposition over cranfords if the weight is the same, and it becomes a three part system(buckle, strap, and step versus just a step and rope). Speed of deployment and packing in and out of whatever containment (pouch or bag) was my biggest concern.

I've come to realize that when you factor in ALL aspects of the use of a climbing method, regardless of which one, they all end up requiring about the same amount of TOTAL time and effort to pack up, pack out, unpack, climb up, climb down, pack up, and pack in. This is especially true when you have to cross a branch or two on your way up. Two methods currently stand out to me for a few reasons - bolts and one stick/rappel. The only method I can't speak to is spurs.

After seeing it action in person, I am convinced that 10 squirrel steps system is on par with bolts, and one stick/rappel. Timewise - it looks to be around 6 minutes each way(no branches) to get to 20'. But what you have to keep in mind is this is from the moment you decide to climb, to the moment you walk away from the tree - it includes all packing and unpacking.

You may say to yourself I can be at 20' with four sticks and aiders in about 3 minutes. First of all, I doubt you. But even if you can, add the time of pulling pack off, pulling sticks out, putting pack on, hanging the sticks wherever you hang em, and then climbing. And tack on the time it takes at ground level to gather it all up, stack it up, wrap it up, take off pack, put in/on pack, strap it down, and put pack on.

Is it expensive - yeh it's damn expensive.

I offer three comparisons from my perspective:

DIY Sticks/Beast sticks/LWCG - You're using aiders to match weight/cost, or buying and packing a pile of sticks, considerably bulkier, considerably less safe(if using multi step aiders), much slower start to finish. Squirrel steps win easily here for me.

Helium Sticks/Lone wolf sticks/other cost effective sticks - same issues above minus the cost. If you're ok with the bulk/weight, and the extra time to use, then not a bad option. Introducing multi step aiders adds considerable risk. Still a win for me with the squirrel steps, although the cost difference could be used for other advantages in your hunting budget that may swing it differently in your view.

cranford rope steps - advantage squirrel steps on how tight they get to the tree/ease of deployment. Cranfords have a little fiddle factor, and will not always be tight, especially the bigger the tree. Slight safety nod for Squirrel steps for me. Cost difference is close to double - again, slight win here for the squirrel steps for the reasons mentioned, but if that extra 150 bucks gets you gas for an out of state trip, or another accessory needed, you can get by.

Bottom line for me - I've settled on bolts, one stick/rappel, and 10 squirrel steps/ocb's. Each of these methods is 5.5lbs or less. Each packs really well. I feel safe using each method with my current equipment choices, with a slight nod to bolts and SS's for risk factor. Everything else is getting sold or traded.

For this being his first climb it went really smooth. I would definitely consider this over using the cranford's for the little bit I've played with both methods. And I definitely wouldn't call what we did a race. @Nutterbuster made his system look effortless and my fat tail sounded like 14 fox squirrels running up and down a pine tree. Although for approximately 24 feet for three 15in sticks my method is pretty compact for the amount of height you get. At least as far as sticks go. I will probably order at least 10 if not 12 of these for a climbing method eventually. In my opinion 8 was just not quite as high as I would want to be, 10 would be fine, 12 definitely be my go-to for later season hunts when there's not as much foliage or no foliage on the trees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Cam buckle is about half the cost of an OCB. Is quieter. Possibly better weight rated. Doesn't get as tight as an OCB.
I would disagree on the cam buckle being quieter, but I've had a lot of experience camming one over. DanO sells both buckles for the same price on his site. The cam buckle has a 1500lb break strength, OCB is 1200.

I think the cambuckle could be a valid solution for some folks. I'll never use one between the OCB, "buckleless method," and daisychains.

@denots, I was surprised with how well your setup carried and climbed for you. If I wasn't anti-aider, I would be tempted to cut some heliums super short.

@kyler1945, are you 100% sure on the weight of cranfords vs squirrelies? For 10 there's a pound of difference according to my scale.

Another perk I don't believe I mentioned over cranfords is that they have a very limited range of circumference they will work on. Very big and very small trees are out without modifications. With the squirrelies you can use the full length of the 7ft strap, or you can choke it down and strap it tight to a coke can.

While I didn't find it necessary to silence cranfords, I do like that it's cheap and easy to completely wrap a squirrel step, and they don't rust or bind in the open position. Lots of small perks that really change the experience.
d699ab3de68ed05ad89a169b6df586c7.jpg
a9f986be1a329d8c2180ea390cf03bcd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

518207df993df8894b671525a9746a9f.jpg

aa1786aef02369f5256df430208ddac0.jpg

The SS has a few wraps of vet tape and some dust, and it’s the strap I bought with my ring of steps(appears exactly the same as what Dano sent ya with the new steps)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cranfords are advertised at 9 ounces, and my scale confirms that(+/- .1 ounces for posterity).

All five of my squirrel steps weigh between 3.15-3.2 ounces (I suspect that slop above is coming into play here for a cnc machined part).

strap, flat hook and buckle weighs 6 ounces on the nose.

Back