• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The Buck Escaped

johnd5412

Ugly feeling inside. I'm in a tree for 5 hours yesterday and 20 minutes left of daylight a nice 8 pointer (min) walks 50 yards from my tree. i call him to me and he is slowly walking my way as a result of interest in my doe decoy. My heart is bumping b/c I'm patiently tethered and hiding behind my tree...anxious to get the kill. Still haven't grabbed my bow so as not to alarm the deer though i'm 20 feet up and he is staring in my direction. All of a sudden I hear a whoop and see this beautiful buck now running at least 20 mph in my direction. He stops 15 yards in front of my tree to assess what happened or where that whoop sound came from. In my haste to take a shot I grab my bow and it makes a clanking sound as it hits my hanger. Suddenly the Buck looks at me and I freeze in hope he will look away to allow a shot. Unfortunately, He runs off before I can get set for a shot. Turns out some ground hunter took a shot and missed which caused the buck to run in my direction which led to my haste in grabbing the bow. I didn't see that coming. Even worse, the same ground hunter takes a legendary dump on the walking path before departing. Luckily saw it with my flashlight to avoid any further bad luck. I feel sick to my stomach on this one. Anybody got a similar tale or can at least lift my spirits?

I'm guessing that you haven't been deer hunting for very many years.
Here's one for you...
Several years ago I was watching 3 bucks @125yards one afternoon...a spike, a very pretty piebald 6 point, and a 150-160 class 10 point. They eventually worked their way towards me. 1st the spike passed thru a shooting lane at 12 yards. Then the piebald on the same trail
The 10 point was following 40 yards behind. Wind was perfect. What could go wrong?
Well, all of the sudden the 1st 2 deer come busting back up past me in a panic. All 3 deer cleared to parts unknown. *** just happened I wondered.
Then my question was answered.
3 stinking mutts were out for a jog. 2 adults and a yapping puppy with them! I NEVER see dogs running loose on this property but that day...1 minute too soon, they come thru and blow it for me. ONE MORE MINUTE and I would have had a true trophy in my lap. To this day I still can't believe the timing of those mutts.
Ive never been tempted to shoot a dog but I gotta say they were darn lucky I didn't have a gun in my hands that day.

Feel better?

This is my second season, no buck kills just a doe. Maybe that adds to the pain. Good story but yeah not feeling better, lol!
Ha, I'm just trying to prepare you. Bowhunting for whitetails ain't easy! I predict that won't be the last buck that slips thru your fingers. It happens more often than not. They just seem to have a way of winning the battle most of the time.
It's what makes bowhunting great. If it were easy it wouldn't be special.
Keep at it. You'll connect.

I could fill up @redsquirrel 's server with stories of dumb things that have happened to me while deer hunting. I had THE WORST "buck luck" up until about 6 or 7 years ago. Ridiculous things that made me wonder if I was legitimately cursed or a secret contestant on some sort of hidden camera game show.

Hopefully this turns into a "let's vent about the dumb things that happened to us" thread. I bet everyone has some hilarious frustrating stories...

Last Monday I sat in the tree 9:30-dark. I got down at 2:45 to move to a tree that covered all the trails better. I was on the ground for 5 minutes that whole time and that is when a shooter walked right up to me at 7 yards. I saw him coming and hit an arrow on but he figured something was up and didn’t keep coming. He turned and walked away behind brush the whole time.

Wednesday I FORGOT my pack at home, which had pretty much my ENTIRE SETUP in it. It always stays in the truck but I had taken it out to reorganize after taking my daughter out for the first time the day before. I drove 45 minutes to my spot, 45 minutes home, and 45 minutes back. I got setup in the tree at 11:25 and shot this guy at 11:45. I am naming him the stay positive buck because I texted @Jefferson10940 about my debacle but said I’m going to stay positive, it can happen at any moment.

All that to say hang in there! Bowhunting is hard. That’s why it feels so good when you make it happen.
1ec50714f670b9f9c247604a3e5ab22a.jpg

Last edited:
Last Monday I sat in the tree 9:30-dark. I got down at 2:45 to move to a tree that covered all the trails better. I was on the ground for 5 minutes that whole time and that is when a shooter walked right up to me at 7 yards. I saw him coming and hit an arrow on but he figured something was up and didn’t keep coming. He turned and walked away behind brush the whole time.

Wednesday I FORGOT my pack at home, which had pretty much my ENTIRE SETUP in it. It always stays in the truck but I had taken it out to reorganize after taking my daughter out for the first time the day before. I drove 45 minutes to my spot, 45 minutes home, and 45 minutes back. I got setup in the tree at 11:25 and shot this guy at 11:45. I am naming him the stay positive buck because I texted @jefferson1150 about my debacle but said I’m going to stay positive, it can happen at any moment.

All that to say hang in there! Bowhunting is hard. That’s why it feels so good when you make it happen.
1ec50714f670b9f9c247604a3e5ab22a.jpg
this one makes me feel better, such a beautiful animal there mate!

My buddy called me the other day frustrated with how his season was going, telling me what he thought he was doing wrong etc., I said don’t take this the wrong way but have you ever thought maybe nothing? Great seasons are made in about 20 seconds and we are 2 weeks into a 6 week long season, the grind has started my friends, I never give up, the path to success or nothing is the true prize, these little bumps along the path just keep things interesting and make for great stories later on... hang in there, I’m a firm believer things happen for a reason, maybe that knucklehead who missed your 8 did you a favor and a booner will show up next time!!

My favorite downer bowhunting story actually was a twofer within 30 minutes of each other. Back in my climber hunting days I was set up on a sidehill bench that had scrapes all along it. I somewhat underdressed that day, it snowed overnight but I was also up and hunting well before legal shooting to be ready. By 10 It was so cold, I saw or heard nothing that whole morning and I had to piss so bad (and in those days you never just peed or every deer in five miles would go running or so we thought) and I forgot my pee bottle so by 10:30 that viscous cycle of cold and having to pee just got the best of me and instead of just going....... I remember all the experts saying you can't pee around your stand the deer will smell it so I began lowering my bow and with the bow about 7 feet below me.... wouldn't ya know it, three does and a chocolate racked 130 class 9 or 10 came running by. I waited for the them to get just out of sight and haul my bow back up (by this time I was warm again and the urge was gone for the moment) and I do a grunt and rattle sequence. I wait another 25 minutes or so and those deer were long gone. The urge strickes me again.... so I lower my bow, inch worm the climber back down to the ground and by this time I really had to go so I get out of the stand and instead of taking my bow, I pick it up and set it on the hand climber but of my climbing stand and head over about 15 yards to the head of a spring seep to pee in that. Yep, as I'm peeing, a colossus white racked 150 or better class buck must have smelled those three does too but he was slowly dogging their trail and he gets to about 5 yards from my climber and my bow and he stops and stares at it. All I could do is stand there and watch in horror as the buck of a lifetime is broadside 15 yards away!! He knew that stand looked or smelled out of place and he slowly turned and went back from whence he came.

My favorite downer bowhunting story actually was a twofer within 30 minutes of each other. Back in my climber hunting days I was set up on a sidehill bench that had scrapes all along it. I somewhat underdressed that day, it snowed overnight but I was also up and hunting well before legal shooting to be ready. By 10 It was so cold, I saw or heard nothing that whole morning and I had to piss so bad (and in those days you never just peed or every deer in five miles would go running or so we thought) and I forgot my pee bottle so by 10:30 that viscous cycle of cold and having to pee just got the best of me and instead of just going....... I remember all the experts saying you can't pee around your stand the deer will smell it so I began lowering my bow and with the bow about 7 feet below me.... wouldn't ya know it, three does and a chocolate racked 130 class 9 or 10 came running by. I waited for the them to get just out of sight and haul my bow back up (by this time I was warm again and the urge was gone for the moment) and I do a grunt and rattle sequence. I wait another 25 minutes or so and those deer were long gone. The urge strickes me again.... so I lower my bow, inch worm the climber back down to the ground and by this time I really had to go so I get out of the stand and instead of taking my bow, I pick it up and set it on the hand climber but of my climbing stand and head over about 15 yards to the head of a spring seep to pee in that. Yep, as I'm peeing, a colossus white racked 150 or better class buck must have smelled those three does too but he was slowly dogging their trail and he gets to about 5 yards from my climber and my bow and he stops and stares at it. All I could do is stand there and watch in horror as the buck of a lifetime is broadside 15 yards away!! He knew that stand looked or smelled out of place and he slowly turned and went back from whence he came.
I hope you learned your lesson...pee out of the tree. It has absolutely no effect on deer.

Several times on private and public land I’ve had people or dogs come through when I was just patiently waiting for a good shot angle. I swear I have better luck seeing less people on public land ! Last season my neighbor spooked the deer coming Into my plot. I was watching as they were slipping into the staging area. Then I saw them go full alert and bolt. I look to my right , bam bozo standing right in the middle of the plot. I whistle a few times he finally spots me then yells oh are you hunting. So with all that ..... welcome to modern day hunting ! Patience will eventually pay off. One day things will connect. Took me a few years to learn and finally get my first deer.

Typing this from the tree as I literally just had an 8point coming into a scrape I'm hunting, as I was moving around the tree preparing for the shot 12 deer come busting out of the bedding area beside me with two pit bulls on their heels. The 8 point turns and runs off. 5 min later the dogs come back by me chasing a spike. :rage:

Bet you never ever not take your bow again though....

I just read about this thread on another thread. Hilarious! If you pizzed out of the tree, your story probably wouldn't be as good. You would've shot the 1st nice buck but never even seen the 2nd if you got down to track. Or worse, you would've had to watch the 2nd big buck come right up to your tree and couldn't shoot. HOWEVER if you had 2 tags then your story would be one to remember!

I have a bunch stories from hunting on public and private land over the years. I’ll share one that may lift your spirits.

I was hunting on private land one Friday evening in my early 20’s. The property laid out like a big rectangle with a field or pasture in the center that was fenced in but didn’t have any animals in it. This was an urban area so there was a house on the north side and the other three were tree line with a couple trees inside the fence.

I had been sitting for a couple hours when I saw what looked to be a great buck walking down the path on the out side/ my side of the fence. Just before he got to where I had a shot he jumped the fence but kept walking in my direction. I came unglued that I was still going to get a shot. I drew, shot and whif! Shot under him. Didn’t realize he was walking on a diagonal toward me but also gradually getting further away. The buck ran a couple yards but had no idea what happened and continued on.

I was pissed but knew it was my fault. I went back the following Tuesday with the same conditions. Only this time I set up in a tree on the inside of the fence. Waited several hours hoping the same thing would happen. It was getting dark and hadn’t see a deer so I lowered my pack. Gave one last look around, lowered my bow. Just as the bow hit the ground, I hear thump thump. He had just jumped the fence. I thought you have to be kidding me. He wins again. He did the same thing. Walked diagonal away from the fence and away from my original tree, only this time with no arrow whizzing at him he stopped to make a rub 10 yds from my new tree. While he made the rub I put my release back on and slowly pulled my bow back up and knocked an arrow.

By this point he had started to walk again but it was directly under my tree. I drew as he got just passed the tree. He caught the movement, stopped and looked up and I let him have it at 5 yds while he looked at me quartering away.

When I got up to him, I am assuming it was the same buck from three days before, he was a broke off 8pt. Not a the best buck ever but I was damn proud that I stuck with it. Things happen and as the other have said keep after it and it’ll happen for you.

Good Luck out there and try to stay positive.

Attachments

• 99ED1409-DECB-4F5F-BC10-03960DEFB899.jpeg
    99ED1409-DECB-4F5F-BC10-03960DEFB899.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 19
Back