• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The "Cheap But Works" Thread

MIbowhunter49

Saw this on another hunting forum and saw some awesome recommendations. Hoping most will agree this is a good section for it, despite being sort of hunting related, sort of discount related.

Post a link to your favorite "cheap but works" hunting products.

My favorites (lately):

Work Light off amazon. Rechargeable, I keep it im a bag in my truck for tracking/field dressing. Stupid bright, and small enough to use as a lantern when trailing. Once its time to gut, I use it as a flood light to light up the area so I don't lose track of knives/etc. Set it on the ground or hang it in a limb.

Protip: Vipon.com offers discount codes for Chinese-brand crap. I've snagged some great deals, like 50% off that work light. I don't get anything for the referral, just giving a heads up. I've gotten more 18650 flashlights and cheapo carabiners on from that site for 50%+ off than I'd care to admit. The site started out as "Amazon review trader", where you got discounts for reviewing new products. Now that Amazon is cracking down on that, it's more of a discount site for new stuff, and they just hope you review it. I never bother.

Generic tarp this is one reccomended from the aforementioned thread on another forum. Bought one and take it camping and to deer camp. Good quality and endless uses.

Hunting Pants another one I got on reccomendation. Awesome for early season and for under bibs.. camo pattern is a little lame, but the deer don't mind. Supposedly you can get them really cheap in-store, but I order online because the nearest wallyworld is >30 mins from me.

Last edited:

Hmm, where have I been.

I absolutely LOVE the pants. I bought two pair, not being sure what I would think of them. They're great, especially for the price. I bought a tan pair and an olive pair. Kinda wish I could have found the camo. Was thinking I'd use them for hiking and scouting. Now I'm thinking I'll hunt in them early season.

^^^^ Those pants are perfect for fishing, hiking , camping whatever I wear them all the time, I wear the tan ones scouting so I can see deer ticks better.

i used a 1 1/2 inch motercycle cam strap as a tether.just tie the cam around the tree loopit through the bridge and back up through the cam for elivation adjustment .folds upsmall like a wallet and gets it done.hate ropes wont use them.no bulk no knots no daisychains wont hold 5 pounds of water wont slide down a tree when you take your weight of it.or hang your bow from it.but never do what i do im an idiot.4971 pound breaking streangth wont hold you in multipel camo paterns of utility polyester at strapworks ,com.nylon is garbage suseptible to cuting itself with friction rotting molding and not uv resistant.picture quality is to smooth but utility polyester grabs the teeth in a cam.but dont use it it is so wrong.cheep though

Last edited:
use a 1 inch camstrap for a linemans dont do it.only i can .you have to use ropes .i have suicidal tendencies.cheep though . 2400 pound straps only hold me. the original trophyline saddle that used straps only held me .so you should use the exspencive ropes with knots please ...

Last edited:
I got some of those Wrangler pants on clearance like two years ago. Actually looked at some at the local Walmart recently. May grab another pair when I'm in there. I'm a tightwad so I like these thread.

Back