• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

"The official" 5 gallon bucket improvements thread

Red Beard

SH Member
Spurred on by @Nutterbuster's Huck It challenge, I jazzed up a 5 gallon bucket for ground hunting this year. Didn't think I'd get much use out of it cause "I'm a saddle hunter." As it turned out though, the cylindrical stool partook in quite a few outings this season since this was the first year one of my daughters showed interest in hunting and I don't yet feel confident hoisting her into a tree. Welp... in the end, the used-to-be-blue-bucket paid big dividends and we had almost as many deer encounters sitting on the ground as I did by myself hanging in a tree, proving to me that ground hunting is a viable option in the future.

Think everyone knows I'm an anti-backpacker. Loading up a pack that lives behind you and puts everything out of immediate reach isn't my thing. However, sacrificing my bow drawing hand to carry a 5 gallon bucket into the woods isn't my thing either so I eventually succumbed to adding backpack straps to my bucket. The aspect I really liked about the bucket was the option of stuffing my saddle hunting gears inside and being able to choose which elevation to hunt from after arriving at our destination. The major downfall though was the seat portion of the bucket.

The swivel seat I picked up from Malwart SUCKED big time. The thin layer of meat between the seat and my butt bones made sitting for more than 45 minutes unbearable. I found myself moving and shifting way more than I wanted to.

While my mind tells me that the ideal solution is probably a Waldrop Pacseat, my bank account tells me it's out of the realm of possibilities. This brings me to the question, what other seat solutions are folks employing for their 5 gallon buckets? Who has invented a hammock seat or a gel topper for theirs? Where is the template?

C'mon Engineers! Whip out your engineering hat and let's start engineering!
20220110_081319.jpg20220110_081337.jpg20220110_081358.jpg

Last edited:
Somewhere the whisper of "Come to the JX3 lights" haunts me.....

Serious note, why not? Add in a removable pack setup like an Mainframe or PopUp and you probably have a do it all setup.
Hehee! Your why not was in reference to the JX3? I didn't know the JX3 was capable of being a freestanding field-edge seat. Is it?

Hehee! Your why not was in reference to the JX3? I didn't know the JX3 was capable of being a freestanding field-edge seat. Is it?

Hmm....I guess you need more height for field edge. I see images of people just sitting on ground with JX3. I guess you can use a few spares sticks pieces to make some type of sawhorse frame and do a mini swing frame? Hahaha

Throw a toilet seat on this and slap a Hazmore Silent Seat on that and you’ll have a “game changer” on your hands.
Had to gugle the Hazmore seat. :) Yes, some kind of hammock-y seat is the kind of thing I was thinking of. How would one go about building a frame for it? I fear slapping hammock style cloth over the rim of the bucket without some kind of frame would just have your rear end resting on the rim itself.

Those are pretty sweet. Look kinda hard to bow hunt from. But with a gun oh yeah!
You can bow hunt in 'em pretty easy. The buckle is cheap but it has a sewn channel and you can use just about whatever strap/rope you want to replace it. The material on mine is pretty quiet too.
Here's a video of one from a forum member, not sure if he's on here much anymore.
They're about the size of a travel coffee mug when packed down and fit in the water bottle pouch on your pack.

Cmon dude you know what I use lol. Hang it from your hip. Can’t sacrifice bow hand as your walking in and a huge swamp donkey giving you a shot LOL

I keep one of these in my pack in case I get to a spot where I'd rather hunt on the ground, and it does a fair job of keeping small roots from violating me. It'd do well on a bucket, but would overhang the sides a bit.
Hilarious! I was literally just sitting on this inflatable pillow trying to see if it'll get me past the 45 minute mark! Bought it as a seat topper when my brother and I did that motorcycle trip last year. Don't know why I didn't think of it before!
20220110_114517.jpg

I didn't know the JX3 was capable of being a freestanding field-edge seat. Is it?

The JX3 does have a ground seat feature...has offsets on the seat to keep your butt off the ground, though I think it was designed more for turkey hunting so you're off the ground only a few inches.

But I like the idea of packing in with one, and then you can decide whether to hunt on the ground or in a tree with no extra gear required. Or just tether in at ground height, which would be really quick, not having to climb.

Come to the Light, Red Beard, and save those delicate "butt bones" of yours! LOL

I like where you're head is. One of these has been in my cart for a while now. Problem still remains though that you have to have a tree to effectively deploy it. Looking for a solution of this caliber that can be used in standalone-field-edge-mode.
Me too. This one: https://www.fanaticoutdoors.com/product/low-down-hunting-seat/ is almost there but needs a couple more supports. At that point you're basically looking at a Waldrop Pacseat without the benefits of a Pacseat.

Let me know if you guys want to try some of this stuff too! I'll ship to ya if you pay to ship just send it back when you're done please!

Back