• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The official saddle hunting fanny pack /lumbar pack thread

Jimmyfunk60

I did some searching and couldn’t find a dedicated thread for members to post fanny pack lumbar pack set ups. “The saddle hunting official backpack thread” was very useful and cost me several hundred dollars. However I have condensed my set ups down to only needing a small pack and have been attaching it to stand/platform or wearing it in.

I’m currently running a cheap redhead Fanny pack and looking for something a fuzz bigger, and something that has quieter zippers/material.

The bigger fanny packs with shoulder straps look nice. However I believe they are too big for my set up. But please share your set ups to help give other guys ideas and allow them to influx our economy with hard earned cash.
92cd54eaae8137fa3501c7470bca3473.jpg

f4ed2fbf72fca97dc3c9fb9e2c121ef2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don’t have a setup to share really yet, but I’ve been heavily considering either the Alps big bear or little bear pack for a while now. Keep going back to the little bear because I want to keep things as small and compact as I can for this kind of setup, but the big bear is always only like $10 more so I always get stuck trying to decide which one. So haven’t done anything yet lol.

I just got the .5 like you have. Love that thing and that’ll be my main goto for sitting in a tree. But then I just ordered my third RR platform because I continue to change my mind about life in a tree. Hah. Didn’t help that it was on sale either. What was that thing about wants never ending with this saddle hunting issue? But I still wanted something smaller for the 1-2 hour sits since that’s what I usually only have time for. Will have to figure out a good way to carry it on a lumbar pack.

Maybe consider a haversack or sling pack. This carries my saddle with LB in pouch(Recon), platform (Preset Solo), 36' of Resc Tech, climbing gear (either Workhorse aider or Treehopper drill/bolts, depending), rappeling stuff and any incidentals. I wear it on my right side; easy access while climbing, easy on/off once situated. I hang it in front of me and use it for a kneepad when needed. I dont think the Bison Gear Houndsman is available anymore, but Helikon-Tex has both a haversack and a satchel that looks great.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210104-080542_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210104-080542_Gallery.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 463
Anyone run a alps little bear ? Seems like what I might be looking for. How are their zippers and bag material.

For those who like Kifaru and lumbar packs, they're supposed to do a run of Scouts, Tailgunners, and Hellcats this year.

I have an Alps Big bear X. It’s ok for early season, bare minimum hunts. I had a hard time attaching sticks so I ended up carrying them. I could get my Predator platform inside the extension or strapped between the extension and yoke, but it is just awkward packing with a load, as it doesn’t hold its shape and flops around.

Last edited:
Alps little bear is the way to go I modified it slightly to carry my stick/platform or platform I clip it on the shoulder straps in back and have EVERYTHING I need for a days hunt plus my coffee and my attached rappel bag as I one stick with a scout angled 95% of the time It has more room than most Fanny packs I have a ton of packs I use but go to this 90% of the time. I like it you can clip around your waist and have a spot you can hang things to and the extra pouches hold more gear Next pack I would use is a cabelas transporter same concept but little bit bigger than the little bear I have one that I technically never used but I would repack my gear for the next hunt but at last minute I always end up repacking at last minute because as I said it just works as only thing in my hand is my weapon of choice for the day and the little bear on my back with my climbing method

Alps little bear is the way to go I modified it slightly to carry my stick/platform or platform I clip it on the shoulder straps in back and have EVERYTHING I need for a days hunt plus my coffee and my attached rappel bag as I one stick with a scout angled 95% of the time It has more room than most Fanny packs I have a ton of packs I use but go to this 90% of the time. I like it you can clip around your waist and have a spot you can hang things to and the extra pouches hold more gear Next pack I would use is a cabelas transporter same concept but little bit bigger than the little bear I have one that I technically never used but I would repack my gear for the next hunt but at last minute I always end up repacking at last minute because as I said it just works as only thing in my hand is my weapon of choice for the day and the little bear on my back with my climbing method

Any pics of it loaded?

The muley pack from Wilderness Pack Specialties, it is bullet proof, hands down the best lumbar pack I have ever used, made in the USA, the owners are great people, almost every buddy of mine that has handled it orders one. I don’t use it for saddle hunting but I did try my predator platform just to see if it would fit and it did no problem.

I will try to get a pic up

Bought the little bear got delivered today... pack seems like a good fit removable harness is nice... sending it back/ requested a replacement the belt on the one I got is horrible once it’s on u can’t pull it tight to adjust it.. when it does move it is super loud. Almost appears that the webbing is two wide for the buckles.

I also just got the little bear. I think it’s an awesome pack and gonna work well for me. My Novix sticks strap nicely to the top of it. Or I’ll strap my Ridge Runner to it when it gets here and just carry the sticks in my other hand.

I also just got the little bear. I think it’s an awesome pack and gonna work well for me. My Novix sticks strap nicely to the top of it. Or I’ll strap my Ridge Runner to it when it gets here and just carry the sticks in my other hand.

Does your waist belt adjust easily once on? Is it quiet? Where did u get yours? I bought on Amazon hoping I just got a bad one.

I started using a Tenzing 1250 pack mid way through this season. It has made a world of difference for me. I'll try to get a pic of it fully loaded tomorrow.

3A1B5970-7427-470B-BC4C-307DDCF2EC0A.jpegE8659EF8-6BBB-4898-8C0A-6C45A193C98A.jpegI like this Badlands Tree Hugger pack I picked up halfway through the season. I actually use it now as an add on to my JX3.

Does your waist belt adjust easily once on? Is it quiet? Where did u get yours? I bought on Amazon hoping I just got a bad one.

Got mine from Amazon too. I think I see what you’re saying about the belt. Didn’t give it much thought but it is loud and kinda hard when you pull it tighter from the end of the strap. I doubt yours is defective. I think that’s just the way the material is.

If you lift up on the buckle and tilt it a ways while moving the strap, it’s a lot quieter. At least mine is. Seems like you have to tilt the buckle a good 30-40 degrees or so to get it to quiet down. I’m gonna use mine to where I’m likely not gonna take it off once I’m out of the car and walking to the woods. Will just rotate it around my waist a bit to get into it while climbing or in the tree probably.

The buckle is loud I have to admit. It snaps pretty dang loud when you click it together. Probably my one gripe about this bag is that. Oh well... I dunno, I’m still keeping mine. This isn’t the only bag I’m gonna use to hunt with anyway. Just one of a few options I have.

The muley pack from Wilderness Pack Specialties, it is bullet proof, hands down the best lumbar pack I have ever used, made in the USA, the owners are great people, almost every buddy of mine that has handled it orders one. I don’t use it for saddle hunting but I did try my predator platform just to see if it would fit and it did no problem.

Is there an internal frame to help keep the pack from sagging and are the shoulder straps removable?

7FCAAAEA-D9C3-433E-A2B7-ED31A6EE85EC.jpeg5A8747A7-CED4-4198-AE50-4933799FAFE4.jpeg Yes there is an internal frame, yes the shoulder harness can be removed, the shoulder harness is not padded, it’s made from the same material as the rest of the straps which I prefer for quick rifle shooting, I hate thick shoulder straps that mess up my rifles length of pull. This pack has literally been through he**

Back