• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

"The Official Saddle Hunting Turkey Vest Thread"

Iron_llama

Inspired by the similarly-named threads for backpacks and lumbar packs.

I've always used backpacks and lumbar packs, usually both, so I'd have the option to gear up or down as appropriate. This summer I bought a no-name cheap turkey vest at the local fleet supply store, expecting to be underwhelmed. Well, I was wrong, I'm sold and never going back. To the extent that I'm contemplating sewing my own strap vest tailored to my experiences this year.

I know some of you have modified your turkey vests. Have any of you sewn your own? What do you want in a vest? What do you not want? What's your pocket layout? Do you also carry a pack for layers/meat/etc.?

As initial tribute I offer the South African "battle jacket", which seems to have inspired the current crop of shotgunner's strap vests. From https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/sadf-pattern-83-battle-jacket-surplus/8448:

1670009676433.png

It’s about time!!!! I have used a Filson vest and think it’s the bomb for long trips in. Looking for a turkey style vest that can hold a little more and not made of tin cloth.

I'm a fan!
bfe84cc52f908ea67fc9cdaae33ba510.jpg
030ebd3727bc409a57eb46e86028fa4a.jpg
6d192865f053971f2bbc73e498c91b13.jpg
f2cdaba9f78a45b21c7d1356527ffea1.jpg
4a337bae7eca6c9a6ead135ab7abe61e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I‘ve been liking this system for the last couple of years: https://www.pack-rabbit.com/product/elite-turkey-hunter-carrier-vest-combo/

I bought the carrier used on here and then bought the chest harness directly from PackRabbit. @Bwhana put me onto this system. I don’t gun hunt turkeys anymore, instead I now opt to take them only with archery tackle. This system with a blind and a Waldrop Pac seat lets you carry everything you need including the blind and turkey if you packed way in. Turkey numbers have been declining in my and many other states. I want to keep as much pressure off of them and their nesting habitat as possible. I like scouting and identifying their strutting areas or “leck”s and setting up near these with decoys and calling. Gobblers taken from these areas will soon be replaced by others and they will always return to these classic strutting areas year after year.

I've been using military load bearing vest for while. Works great for the way I do things.

Tenzig and badlands upland bird vest look like real nice option as well

I've been using military load bearing vest for while. Works great for the way I do things.

Tenzig and badlands upland bird vest look like real nice option as well

I’ve been debating on the Chief Upland vest. They have an earth tone version. Has a decent amount of laser cut molle/pals for customization. I own the blaze orange version. It’s worked flawlessly for upland hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just rearranged my vest this afternoon....I go get some pics in a minute... Having molle covering ur torso is so nice for putting things right where u need/want them.....military surplus has pretty much every size/shape pouch u can imagine and danos pouches are great too

Screenshot_20221204-223207~2.pngwind checker on the right shoulder, couple easy access trail markers, shovel pouch with my bow hanger and I keep my phone in there, rangefinder and the hidden compartment got tiny first aid kit and TP

Left side got compass, grenade pouch with pull down rope, dano pouch with my aider and a small foldable pouch for extra storage. Hidden inside compartment has licence/tag, some extra Paracord, and bug headnet.

Those plastic green biners on either side is how I attach my platform which rides in the lumbar area lower back/butt area

Screenshot_20221204-223200~2.png
Large main compartment is in-between my shoulder blades and contains ThermaCELL trail markers and extra friction hitch/biner. Grenade pouch on the side of that holds my headlamp. Paracord ranger beads hold any extra clothes lashed to the outside. Doyle's in the center of the small of my back and the 2 kidney area dano pouches have my stirrups.

What’s the base vest you’re using @Weldabeast?
I can't find the exact 1....looks like maybe discontinue/redesign.....but very similar to this. All the pouches that come on it are garbage.. .it's just a molle mesh vest and sportsman's guide usually has lots of different flavors but lacking at the moment. There is a dutch surplus vest that comes up on there periodically and when mine wears out I swap over to that 1....The feature u looking for is the 2 addition zippers either side of the main zipper....that is 2 additional storage areas inside the vest all along the kidney and ribs

Last edited:
View attachment 77455wind checker on the right shoulder, couple easy access trail markers, shovel pouch with my bow hanger and I keep my phone in there, rangefinder and the hidden compartment got tiny first aid kit and TP

Left side got compass, grenade pouch with pull down rope, dano pouch with my aider and a small foldable pouch for extra storage. Hidden inside compartment has licence/tag, some extra Paracord, and bug headnet.

Those plastic green biners on either side is how I attach my platform which rides in the lumbar area lower back/butt area

View attachment 77457
Large main compartment is in-between my shoulder blades and contains ThermaCELL trail markers and extra friction hitch/biner. Grenade pouch on the side of that holds my headlamp. Paracord ranger beads hold any extra clothes lashed to the outside. Doyle's in the center of the small of my back and the 2 kidney area dano pouches have my stirrups.
Do you take your vest off to access stuff on the back, or can you get to it while wearing it?

I haven't seen it sold anywhere, but I was a medic pack once that, instead of straps, had a socket that interfaced with a piece worn on the back of a plate carrier, high on the shoulders. Probably added a pound or two, but it's a backpack that didn't need its own shoulder straps.

Do you take your vest off to access stuff on the back, or can you get to it while wearing it?

I haven't seen it sold anywhere, but I was a medic pack once that, instead of straps, had a socket that interfaced with a piece worn on the back of a plate carrier, high on the shoulders. Probably added a pound or two, but it's a backpack that didn't need its own shoulder straps.
The upper large pouch will require taking the vest off. The stirrup pouches and Doyle's I use without removing the vest.....

I always got an eye out for good surplus pouches and own way too many....I give em away half the time but when u can get 6 pouches for 7 dollars it ain't no thing but a chicken wing

So what do you guys use during rifle season? In GA we have a 3+ month long rifle season. The law requires 500 sq” above the waste. A turkey vest is going to cover that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back