• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The PLVOD (Public Land Van Of Death) Build Thread

always89y

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Well, my summer project is building a public land hunt/camp vehicle. The donor vehicle is a 2006 Kia Sadona. Why? Cause I have one.
Specs:
3.8 liters of pure korean thunder under the hood. Made in Mojave, CA.
150 cubic feet of cargo space.
4 power outlets
244 hp
253 pf
Bout 7 inches of ground clearance (comparable to many suvs)

1st step...gut it. Done. All seats except the front 2 are out.
2nd, drainage and rhino line the rear seat storage. Done. I'll use this area to store items rarely used since it will be covered.

Next is battery power. Going to add a trolling motor battery that will be connected to a power isolator to charge on the existing alternator. That's going in the back as well.

Plan is to have a kitchen facing out of the back, sleeping with under storage behind drivers seat and the rest open area. I do plan to use an external tent that connects to the side. We typically sleep in hammocks as well.
78d056604d498cadf3437179bb4e21ae.jpg
03380b2517754a07828cb85fe611fd9f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am going to keep an eye on this thread...I am thinking about converting a van.

I'm watching too!! If they only made mini vans with 4x4 and more ground clearance...

View attachment 28973

Look up Mitsubishi delicas! There awesome, I lived in Japan for 6 years and they’re everywhere over there. I almost brought one back with me but snagged a right side drive land cruiser up instead. I’m sure a few delica’s made it to the states by now.

Sent from parts unknown

I'm watching too!! If they only made mini vans with 4x4 and more ground clearance...

View attachment 28973
Suburban. I had a 97 as my first car. Still have it, actually. Gets ok mileage, has good clearance, and rides really well. Easy to work on and dependable. Mine is 2wd,but I'm 90% certain they make 4wd.

Wife wants to sell it, but I'm thinking about overhauling it and turning it into a designated overnight rig. I've spent many nights on a cot in the back of it. Honestly don't even know where the back, back seat is at this point. All I think I'd want to do is rip out the carpet and remove the center console to make it easier to transition from the drivers seat to the cot in the back.

A rwd with a locking differential 99% of the time will out do a stock 4x4. Add a winch to ur rwd with a locked diff and you are more capable than a stock 4x4

A rwd with a locking differential 99% of the time will out do a stock 4x4. Add a winch to ur rwd with a locked diff and you are more capable than a stock 4x4
On slippery mud or slippery snow my Tacoma gets better traction in 4WD only than with only the rear diff locked. It makes sense since all 4 wheels are driving, until one slips. I think there is more weight on the front wheels as well.

On slippery mud or slippery snow my Tacoma gets better traction in 4WD only than with only the rear diff locked. It makes sense since all 4 wheels are driving, until one slips. I think there is more weight on the front wheels as well.
If u got a rear locker stock than I cant argue with that....a open diff 4x4 will get spanked by a 2wd with a locker and winch....also dont think many vans came with option for rear locking differential

If u got a rear locker stock than I cant argue with that....a open diff 4x4 will get spanked by a 2wd with a locker and winch....also dont think many vans came with option for rear locking differential
Yeah. The rear manual locker came stock on my Tacoma. I don't have a winch so I can't comment on that. A few times I needed to add the locker to the 4WD to get out of mud. The locker alone was nearly useless. Front and rear manual lockers would be best, I think, added to 4WD, of course. The problem with left-right locking is most times these 2 wheels are in the same hole.

Last edited:
really depends on where your driving I guess, personally I will take a awd , 4wd over any 2 wd in the sand, mud, or any slick surface, when those front tires start pushing sand or mud its over, that's where those driven tires come in handy,

once stuck nothing is better for self rescue than a winch

ground clearance trumps most things, most times I have been stuck were ground clearance problems

Suburban. I had a 97 as my first car. Still have it, actually. Gets ok mileage, has good clearance, and rides really well. Easy to work on and dependable. Mine is 2wd,but I'm 90% certain they make 4wd.

Wife wants to sell it, but I'm thinking about ,, it and turning it into a designated overnight rig. I've spent many nights on a cot in the back of it. Honestly don't even know where the back, back seat is at this point. All I think I'd want to do is rip out the carpet and remove the center console to make it easier to transition from the drivers seat to the cot in the back.
I had a 88 for my first vehicle too. 332k before my cousin totalled it. Did the exact same thing to mine ripped out the carpet... She was a beast. They absolutely come in 4wd and the big girls had the 454 in em.

I cant wait to see this kia with a buck on the roof! Nice rig man

Back