• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The Push Archery, new on-line course.

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
The Push has some really good on-line courses and they just released a new one.
If you're looking for them, the courses are under the P.A.C.K. (Push Archery Center of Knowledge)

It's another $200 course, but after listening to podcast #249 https://www.thepusharchery.com/listen/
Before deciding that $200 is too expensive, listen to the podcast. They get down into the details about all aspects on tuning. One thing they discuss is being in the "center of the tune window" (not sure if that's the exact terminology they used but the concept is the same). A lot of trad hunters are tuned on the "edge of their tune" meaning that the shooter, and their equipment, is not forgiving for variations in form which is so common under the stress of a hunting situation. They claim that they will get us within the center of our tune window so if we under draw, over draw, torque, etc at the moment of truth, our arrows will still fly straight.
They also discuss "tunability" of bows. Some bows, some very expensive bows, are difficult if not impossible to tune. The course is supposed to help us identify bows that are easier, or more difficult to tune.
Their discussion of the course in the podcast goes much deeper than I can possibly possibly convey. Listen to the podcast.
Haha, someone commented that this course might save them $2,000 on a custom bow, but Cody Greenwood states forget about the $2K saved on the bow, think about the $9,000 you'll save on arrows! (meaning trad guys waste a lot of cash buying and trying to tune arrows!)

I'm really interested. Have any of you guys enrolled in the tuning class? If so, what do you think about it?

I bought the course and I'm 80% thru it as of now.
At first, I had a guilty conscience for spending the money. After watching 80% of it, I have zero regrets.
I wanted to watch it all the way thru before I started to employ the program so at this point, I've not tried to play with my tuning. But I'm eager to get to it.
There's a lot of stuff that we've preached for years. I've done it many times. This course will change how you choose equipment, how you tune it, and shoot it.
And the main goal they repeat is having your arrows coming out of the bow at 3 feet, and a quiet bow and arrow.
We trad hunters set up for ultra close shots and those are the hits that are notorious for poor penetration because our arrows are not flying as straight as we think they are. We tend to over-bow ourselves thinking we'll get better penetration with higher poundage. When in reality, our penetration suffers because we are out of tune.
Guys, me included, spend thousands of dollars on equipment...saddles, platforms, sticks, clothing in order to shoot deer but we won't spend money to optimize our arrow flight.
At this point, I'm happy I bought this course.

I bought the course and I'm 80% thru it as of now.
At first, I had a guilty conscience for spending the money. After watching 80% of it, I have zero regrets.
I wanted to watch it all the way thru before I started to employ the program so at this point, I've not tried to play with my tuning. But I'm eager to get to it.
There's a lot of stuff that we've preached for years. I've done it many times. This course will change how you choose equipment, how you tune it, and shoot it.
And the main goal they repeat is having your arrows coming out of the bow at 3 feet, and a quiet bow and arrow.
We trad hunters set up for ultra close shots and those are the hits that are notorious for poor penetration because our arrows are not flying as straight as we think they are. We tend to over-bow ourselves thinking we'll get better penetration with higher poundage. When in reality, our penetration suffers because we are out of tune.
Guys, me included, spend thousands of dollars on equipment...saddles, platforms, sticks, clothing in order to shoot deer but we won't spend money to optimize our arrow flight.
At this point, I'm happy I bought this course.
Thanks for the review. I listened
to the podcast when it released and have been strongly considering buying the course. Im fairly new to traditional bows so glad to hear someone with more experience found some value in it. Just put together a Satori as well so would be a good time to go through a course like this.

Thanks for the review. I listened
to the podcast when it released and have been strongly considering buying the course. Im fairly new to traditional bows so glad to hear someone with more experience found some value in it. Just put together a Satori as well so would be a good time to go through a course like this.
You are welcome.
They bill the course as being for beginners, seasoned shooters, and everyone in between. I've shot recurves for 50 years now and these guys are teaching me things that I've never heard of...terms like "nodes" and why their position on the arrow are critical to a hunting arrow, more so that for target archers.
This course is like a good book that you can't put down. At the beginning of each module I say to myself...'okay, this is the last one for now and I'm walking away from the computer'. When that on is finished I then say...'okay, just one more'.

They help you how to determine that.
The farther I listen into this course, the more I'm convinced it's money well spent.
Not to derail but the guys at Exodus and Dorge from Firenock worked together on thier arrows they put out this year and discussed the tuning node of the arrow as well and discussed that point of pressure of the arrow upon release. I’m gathering there is a way to tweak the length of the arrows or the end of the shaft near and around the insert so at full draw and upon initial release, the resulting force vector upon release remains with little to no arrow oscillation at that node resulting in much less lateral and vertical movement throughout paradox of the arrow. I dug out an old book I had from Emery Loiselle (I almost threw it out inadvertently as I was going through a box of old hunting paraphernalia I found in my garage) and this time when I read it….. approximately 35-40 years later…. I actually understood it. I believe you can always learn more and more about tuning. I would be very interested in hearing your overview once you’ve completed the course. C572CEF8-B152-43D8-BF7D-C9436DF0B886.jpegE516C96E-A3ED-4C50-B983-8882CB5CF419.jpeg6BB28DA0-0A78-433E-B9A2-E4715025E1F9.jpegA0436166-4554-43D6-8105-5A5F0A5AC04E.jpeg

Last edited:
I just want to know which bows are tunable and which are not.
I'm fairly certain that I've just discovered that I may have a twisted limb on the bow I've hunted with for several years now.
I rigged some beiter gages and I'm also figuring out some diy tuning forks and my initial thoughts are not good.
Beiter gages show if limbs are out of alignment. Tuning forks show limb twist and were made by the EARLYHUMAN company.
Unfortunately, it seems like tuning forks are no longer made. I was fooling around with some diy forks this afternoon but I ran out of time before I really completed my analysis but I'm thinking the diy forks might be as good or even better than what EARLYHUMAN made.
Bottom line, twisted limbs or limbs out of alignment will make for tuning difficulties. I suspect that limb twist is not always easy to detect.

@Allegheny Tom
I've been considering the Shot IQ online course, by Joel Turner.
I'm wondering if this P.A.C.K. course would be as much help with shooting issues. Both of them have the $200 price tag. :)

@Allegheny Tom
I've been considering the Shot IQ online course, by Joel Turner.
I'm wondering if this P.A.C.K. course would be as much help with shooting issues. Both of them have the $200 price tag. :)
I really believe that it's hard to separate the importance of form versus tuning. Especially when we are shooting trad bows.

You certainly need some level of proper form in order to arrive at the finer points of tuning. There are modules in the tuning course that shows how inconsistent arrow flight can be when shooting with poor form. So how does one tune if their form stinks?

Conversely, IMO, it's difficult to concentrate on proper form (and aiming) if your equipment is out of tune. Chicken or the egg?

I took the Rod Jenkins course last year and it certainly helped improve my shooting. Now I just barely suck, instead of REALLY suck. Lol.

Soooo...Gents there are 4 courses yall talk about. @Allegheny Tom speaks to the chicken or the egg.

My question is in what order would you take these courses? The PUSH, the Shot IQ, Ron Jenkins and Solid Archery.

Or do some overlap? TIA
They are all on The Push Archery.
P.A.C.K. (Push Archery Center of Knowledge) is within The Push Archery.
I've done the Jenkins course and the tuning course. I've seen bits and pieces of Clum and Turner. I liked Jenkins but they all have great reputations.

I'd say that learning form would probably be the better 1st step. But even with perfect form, you'll never get great hunting results if your gear isn't tuned.

My order would be either Rod or Tom first, then Cody and Matt's tuning course, then Joel's course...Form, tuning, clean up the mental in that order. But that's just me.

agree, and I’ll add that Joel gives enough free info away in the podcasts that he does that you can listen to one of them and at the least be cognizant of what he teaches while you go through the other courses.

Just finished podcast 249. I thought Cody made great point late in the podcast about order of importance if you will re: accuracy/tune in that you can tune at a higher level than you may be able to shoot. I havent purchased any of the courses but I am leaning hard towards doing the tuning course. I have made reference in other post about hunting of the importance of sharpening the indian and I think that is exactly what this course will do.

Back