• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The start of a journey

sixty4sedan

So ive been following this site for a long time and last weekend decided to try my version of saddle hunting. Not wanting to spend a ton of money, I decided to see what I could repurpose for this . I ended up using a spare tree tether, a $10 bag used for holding the rope and climbing aid rope with my tree stand harness. All worked well except I had issues figuring outhow to set up the bridge.
Well after heading to the local park, and trying it out, first on the ground then 8 ft up on my steps, it felt really comfortable. Now I didn't spend 4+ hours so I'm not sure how that feels. After accomplishing that, I felt like I was ready to go, then came saddle hunter.....

Well after taking a trip to the local climbing gear store, REI, things changed a bit.I picked up a climbing harness, as the tree stand puts pressure on my shoulders, and discovered fleece saddles..... After a local trip to wally world , the fleece is ready to go along with the climbing harness for its first real field test tomorrow morning.
P.s. I have tried this on level ground and off of my sticks and it feels great.

Next its on to the platform, as standing at the top of the climbing stick isn't the most comfortable.

Still to decide how to hang everything off the tree for my bow holder and bag. I think I may have figured that out tonight but I'm hunting private tomorrow, so no need to rush it yet...

Thanks to all that have supplied their wisdom to make this work

Back