• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The warmest boots

Newhunter1

SH Member
Hey everyone,

Last night I hunted from 6 am to end of shooting light where I killed a doe at the end of the day. I spent all day in 20-23 degree weather with a 30 mph wind. I hunted on the ground because I just dont feel like I should have to hug the tree all day. I have a hill that I went half way down the hill and set up in the bottom of a root ball hole and sat. My body and hands were warm and that's because of heated vest, heated hand muff and heavy wool first light gear. My boots are 1200 and 1600 gram thinsulte lacrosse boots. My feet while not uncomfortable, was still slightly cold. Is there a boot that is not a PAC boot that is greater than 1600 grams. I've never been warm in a pac boot and I hate the heat packs and the electric socks as they hurt my feet with the wires or the lump. I'm also diabetic, so taking care of my feet is my number one goal.

If you're looking to avoid pac boots I would try the Arctic Shield boot covers over your current boots with a hand warmer in the cover over your toes.

If you truly want the warmest boots I've ever seen, the Cabela's TransAlaskan and/or Cabelas Saskatchewan boots are insane. You definitely don't want to hike far with them, but they are warm.

My goto boot for cold saddle/stand hunting are Baffin Titans. They have the best liner I have ever used. They are a rubber boot outer with a pack style liner that wicks moisture away from your feet like no other liner I have used. After a full day sit in the low 20's your feet will be toasty and dry and the area between the liner and the rubber boot will be soaking wet. The down side is that they do not have great foot support however when I am hanging all day I do not need it. They are not an all around boot. I originally bought them cold ice fishing days when my Muck Artic Pro's were not enough. In the end I wear them more in the deer hunting than ice fishing.

What do you wear on your feet under your boots? I think this is more important that the boots and their insulation. Do you change your socks when you get to your location? are you wearing merino wool, and have you tried a liner? I only wear 1000 gram or 800 gram in the same scenario and can stay warm all day. but i wear socks that release moisture on the way in then when I get to my spot or even in the tree I will remove my boots allow my feet to cool slightly and then put my sock layers on. I find with heavy boots my feet sweat a lot and this is what actually makes my feet cold.

X2 - walk in wearing whatever boots/shoes/crocs you want. Slide these on after and your feet will be warm. They compress down pretty good for transport.

$450 though...let me borrow yours and try them out lol
I found mine for 140$, I don't remember where though, neos makes similar style overboots. I've never worn them but they seem to be similar in material and rating.
All I'm really getting at is you don't need the best boot, you need the best system. The best system is layering on your feet just like layering coats or pants or gloves and so on. Wearing overboots has completely solved my cold feet issue even sitting for hours in cold temps...

I just saw this idea last week, if you have some old wool socks cut them off so you have enough to go from your toes to where the laces start on your boots. When you get to your stand get a hand hot set it on the top of your boot and pull the sock over it, I haven't tried it yet but seems like it would work

arctic shields are pretty legit, ive always struggled keeping keeping my feet warm with poor circulation and being anemic it doesnt matter what was on my feet it was a matter of when and it didnt take much low 60’s is cold to me i much prefer my 100 degrees lol but since ive got these arctic shields its been a dream, below 30 i add a hand warmer but all i wesr on my feet is fox river heavy socks with garmont bafidas, put the shields on once im up and im golden. I also have irish setter pinnacle hunters waterproof insulated that are legit also havnt had to put the sheilds on with them yet but coldest in those so far has been just shy of 5hr sit at 34-42 degrees and a slight but steady wind.

I recently started to take my boots off at the stand and wear these. They kept me warm in 20 degree temps with high wind.

Baffin Basecamp Insulated Bootie
Interesting..... just these and socks? throw some hand warmers in?
My feet gave me the last fit yesterday. I need a new solution... I have a pair of uninsulated crispi's with artic shields I throw on that help tremendously with a few hand warmers. but yesterday, it was 28 and my feet were COLD!
I need a fix! lol

Interesting..... just these and socks? throw some hand warmers in?
My feet gave me the last fit yesterday. I need a new solution... I have a pair of uninsulated crispi's with artic shields I throw on that help tremendously with a few hand warmers. but yesterday, it was 28 and my feet were COLD!
I need a fix! lol
I have worn them with and without footwarmers inside. My feet were warm either way, and they did not sweat. Just wore sweat wicking socks and a thick pair of wool socks.

Hey everyone,

Last night I hunted from 6 am to end of shooting light where I killed a doe at the end of the day. I spent all day in 20-23 degree weather with a 30 mph wind. I hunted on the ground because I just dont feel like I should have to hug the tree all day. I have a hill that I went half way down the hill and set up in the bottom of a root ball hole and sat. My body and hands were warm and that's because of heated vest, heated hand muff and heavy wool first light gear. My boots are 1200 and 1600 gram thinsulte lacrosse boots. My feet while not uncomfortable, was still slightly cold. Is there a boot that is not a PAC boot that is greater than 1600 grams. I've never been warm in a pac boot and I hate the heat packs and the electric socks as they hurt my feet with the wires or the lump. I'm also diabetic, so taking care of my feet is my number one goal.
I had the same trouble. Two things, that work great for me. My second season in these boots. When it gets into the teens. Thoroughgood 2400s. Next item your socks. If your not in them get alpaca heavyweight hunting socks. Say least 95% alpaca. Wool is not a hollow fiber. Real alpaca fiber is hollow like a straw sealed at each end. Much greater insulation per volume. 3x.
Stay warm. Good bless

Last edited:
I struggled for years with cold feet after some nerve damage. Wore my snake boots one morning after forgetting my cold weather boots. I wont go back. They are just cheap sportsman guide boots but they sure do keep the feet warm.

I found mine for 140$, I don't remember where though, neos makes similar style overboots. I've never worn them but they seem to be similar in material and rating.
All I'm really getting at is you don't need the best boot, you need the best system. The best system is layering on your feet just like layering coats or pants or gloves and so on. Wearing overboots has completely solved my cold feet issue even sitting for hours in cold temps...
Our electric lineman swear by the NEOS overboot system.

My cold weather boots only have 800 gram insulation, but I got them 2 sizes big on purpose PER many past threads insisting it helps. So, that and I put a mega hot hands pack unside each sock, right on the skin on top of my foot about an inch or 2 from the end of my toes. WOrks down to zero easy. NEVER get cold feet anymore. I tried the hot hands foot specific tape on warmers BUT didn't work nearly as good, the Thermacell insoles THEY sucked and broke down inside a couple times in the field, boot warmer things you put on after you get to your stand/blind also didn't get it done, and I also tried the electric socks to no prevail!

Back