• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thick cover questions

mike.podolan

I am still relatively new to deer hunting, and I am wondering about the “thick cover” that is consistently mentioned as the place to find and hunt deer. I’m sure some of this has been discussed, but my searches didn’t turn up all of the info I’m interested in. For some, these may seem like silly questions, but I figured I’d ask to get a variety of perspectives. I live in Michigan, so I guess I’d mainly wonder about the Midwest.

1. What, specifically, qualifies as thick cover? How would you describe it (how high off of the ground, what species of plants, how far could you see from the ground, how hard would it be to walk through, how far could you see from up in a tree, etc.)?
2. How do you hunt thick cover? From outside the cover looking in? If so, how far off? From inside the cover? If so, how deep in?
3. If you have to navigate into thicker cover, how can you do that in a reasonably quiet way? I can’t cut trails because I hunt public land.

Pictures of any setups/examples would be really helpful, too!

Below are some examples of places I’ve tried to hunt this year. I’ve seen a few does, but have yet to harvest one this year. Any insight would be appreciated!

69de18b1fadd045a864cbfbf54d27b99.jpg

e29205b99105a42fe2a2fb74b5232301.jpg

f90c798a48f2654e93d532931acaed70.jpg

47ed6c30a13a6e41ea3a659c3135e2e9.jpg

ce0d08b096bfc5ddd58967089b5386d7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

refering to your pics
Those spots would be way to open in my areas. Also thats where you will find most hunter sign.
they all look to have hard transitions which is the first places most hunters look and hunt.
there will be sign here but its mostly nighttime sign.
Thick cover is just that. Thick
Hard to walk through, and hard to see through.
An animal can hide in it and a human will walk right by and never know it was there.
Try to remember this when your looking for thick cover.
if you can walk through an area without having to bob and weave around brush, shrubs or vegetation its to open.
Try to get down on one knee and if you see more than 50-60 yards. It’s probably too open.
If the underbrush is not at least knee high then it’s probably to open.
you need to be doing a bit of work getting to your spots.
remember a huge % of hunters will hunt the open easier accessible areas, use the easiest access roads, paths, trails.
take your time and go slow through those thick and nasty areas give yourself plenty of time to get to your spots
The pics above in DB4X is good image of thick spots.

These are all the same spot deer don’t always end up in range they tend to linger within the thicket till dusk especially on years with no acorns. But seeing deer and learning how they behave in cover is just as important as harvesting them

Attachments

• 9EAE126A-6F90-4047-B2F0-5D195A45BD75.jpeg
    9EAE126A-6F90-4047-B2F0-5D195A45BD75.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 7E76FB2D-612C-4BF5-8DA0-7B4ADC205932.jpeg
    7E76FB2D-612C-4BF5-8DA0-7B4ADC205932.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 111
  • AD115365-FCF4-4378-980F-1FAF6077AFCD.jpeg
    AD115365-FCF4-4378-980F-1FAF6077AFCD.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 110
I am still relatively new to deer hunting, and I am wondering about the “thick cover” that is consistently mentioned as the place to find and hunt deer. I’m sure some of this has been discussed, but my searches didn’t turn up all of the info I’m interested in. For some, these may seem like silly questions, but I figured I’d ask to get a variety of perspectives. I live in Michigan, so I guess I’d mainly wonder about the Midwest.

1. What, specifically, qualifies as thick cover? How would you describe it (how high off of the ground, what species of plants, how far could you see from the ground, how hard would it be to walk through, how far could you see from up in a tree, etc.)?
2. How do you hunt thick cover? From outside the cover looking in? If so, how far off? From inside the cover? If so, how deep in?
3. If you have to navigate into thicker cover, how can you do that in a reasonably quiet way? I can’t cut trails because I hunt public land.

Pictures of any setups/examples would be really helpful, too!

Below are some examples of places I’ve tried to hunt this year. I’ve seen a few does, but have yet to harvest one this year. Any insight would be appreciated!

69de18b1fadd045a864cbfbf54d27b99.jpg

e29205b99105a42fe2a2fb74b5232301.jpg

f90c798a48f2654e93d532931acaed70.jpg

47ed6c30a13a6e41ea3a659c3135e2e9.jpg

ce0d08b096bfc5ddd58967089b5386d7.jpg

Good post and the pictures help.

It's all relative (here in WV.....ooooohhhhhhh......hits cymbal).....meaning what is considered security cover in one area will be open in another. The deer are somewhat site specific.

As I was saying, cover thickness seems to make deer feel more and more secure until it becomes too thick for them to walk/run through. Big bucks love thick cover but have a harder time weaving through the really thick stuff compared to a small does because of antlers. When they don't have them in the summer, then it isn't as bad for them.

So, if you find the thickest cover in your area, you can guess it might be a secure area and worth checking out.

What you posted would not be considered thick cover where I hunt. I'd call it in my notes something like "medium density, high stem count, hardwoods" or something.

I don't often get inside the really thick stuff, unless it is a big patch and there is something interesting about it to me. Assuming there is a transition from thick to open, I often hunt right where I am near thick stuff but I am in a hunt-able area where I can put up a stand and have some shooting lanes. Of course, this all depends upon sign and location and other factors, if I'll like a place.

As far as how you can get into really thick stuff, you probably shouldn't try to hunt somewhere where you'd have to use a machete to actually get into it. As far as public land, I'll say don't use a machete or any big tool or anything motorized. I hear they make these really neat hand trimmers for gardening though.....

Fantastic questions and I’m glad you asked because I’m following this one! I have been hunting trails, pinch points,and such that look good to me but obviously not to deer. I have had some luck but I’ve had too many deerless days even during rut. This year I started hunting the edge of thick cover that is not impenetrable all together. I haven’t gotten a deer this year, but I have seen more bucks than ever before. Post season I plan to dive into those areas and see what’s going on inside them as a learning experience for next year. I suggest you do the same. Learning from experienced people is a HUGE help but learning first hand really helps me take the pieces of the puzzle others give me and put them all together

Fantastic questions and I’m glad you asked because I’m following this one! I have been hunting trails, pinch points,and such that look good to me but obviously not to deer. I have had some luck but I’ve had too many deerless days even during rut. This year I started hunting the edge of thick cover that is not impenetrable all together. I haven’t gotten a deer this year, but I have seen more bucks than ever before. Post season I plan to dive into those areas and see what’s going on inside them as a learning experience for next year. I suggest you do the same. Learning from experienced people is a HUGE help but learning first hand really helps me take the pieces of the puzzle others give me and put them all together
I also appreciate the post OP, following.

@Jimdude , I guess I gotta ask... why don't you just check it out now? The thick stuff? I made the decision to barge in, maybe that's wrong. I do have 11k acres of public minutes away so I have other options, but what better way to find out how or if deer are using it in season than in season scouting?

I also wasn't seeing deer here in my rookie campaign, so I didn't see any harm in it in my situation. There is the SH popular "walk until you see deer" theory..

refering to your pics
Those spots would be way to open in my areas. Also thats where you will find most hunter sign.
they all look to have hard transitions which is the first places most hunters look and hunt.
there will be sign here but its mostly nighttime sign.
Thick cover is just that. Thick
Hard to walk through, and hard to see through.
An animal can hide in it and a human will walk right by and never know it was there.
Try to remember this when your looking for thick cover.
if you can walk through an area without having to bob and weave around brush, shrubs or vegetation its to open.
Try to get down on one knee and if you see more than 50-60 yards. It’s probably too open.
If the underbrush is not at least knee high then it’s probably to open.
you need to be doing a bit of work getting to your spots.
remember a huge % of hunters will hunt the open easier accessible areas, use the easiest access roads, paths, trails.
take your time and go slow through those thick and nasty areas give yourself plenty of time to get to your spots
The pics above in DB4X is good image of thick spots.

You are right that they all have hard transitions. So softer transitions where the more open woods like in my pictures would gradually transition into the virtually impenetrable stuff would be better?

I have definitely crawled on my hands and knees quite a bit while scouting in the post-season, so I know of some very thick areas. I just don’t know how to hunt those, I guess. Thanks for weighing in!

These are all the same spot deer don’t always end up in range they tend to linger within the thicket till dusk especially on years with no acorns. But seeing deer and learning how they behave in cover is just as important as harvesting them

Super helpful pictures! I like that you showed the same spot from different vantage points. In the picture I posted where you can see my tether, from the ground level, the cover is about head high (brushy, some brambles), but when I climbed the tree, it was way more open than I thought.

So is your access to this type of spot pretty tricky?

Good post and the pictures help.

It's all relative (here in WV.....ooooohhhhhhh......hits cymbal).....meaning what is considered security cover in one area will be open in another. The deer are somewhat site specific.

As I was saying, cover thickness seems to make deer feel more and more secure until it becomes too thick for them to walk/run through. Big bucks love thick cover but have a harder time weaving through the really thick stuff compared to a small does because of antlers. When they don't have them in the summer, then it isn't as bad for them.

So, if you find the thickest cover in your area, you can guess it might be a secure area and worth checking out.

What you posted would not be considered thick cover where I hunt. I'd call it in my notes something like "medium density, high stem count, hardwoods" or something.

I don't often get inside the really thick stuff, unless it is a big patch and there is something interesting about it to me. Assuming there is a transition from thick to open, I often hunt right where I am near thick stuff but I am in a hunt-able area where I can put up a stand and have some shooting lanes. Of course, this all depends upon sign and location and other factors, if I'll like a place.

As far as how you can get into really thick stuff, you probably shouldn't try to hunt somewhere where you'd have to use a machete to actually get into it. As far as public land, I'll say don't use a machete or any big tool or anything motorized. I hear they make these really neat hand trimmers for gardening though.....

I like the way you described the spots I posted! I definitely found lots of thicker areas in my scouting, so I’m trying to learn how to hunt them properly. It sounds like you’re looking for softer transitions between the more open and super thick? Setting up to shoot in the transition and/or into the thick?

Trees on the edge of the thick stuff. That particular property is a jungle. No way to get in without hedge clippers and alerting everything nearby. Early season, it sucks. Late season, it sucks. But just before the rut, the scrapes on the edges were hot.

I also appreciate the post OP, following.

@Jimdude , I guess I gotta ask... why don't you just check it out now? The thick stuff? I made the decision to barge in, maybe that's wrong. I do have 11k acres of public minutes away so I have other options, but what better way to find out how or if deer are using it in season than in season scouting?

I also wasn't seeing deer here in my rookie campaign, so I didn't see any harm in it in my situation. There is the SH popular "walk until you see deer" theory..
I guess I’m scared to stink up the bedding areas and have the deer move out to an unknown location. My season is over till January. Maybe I should go poke around now.

Man I’m lazy and I hate ticks and snakes, I don’t hunt “in” the thick stuff but I sure like to hunt right by it. When I first started hunting public, for maybe 5 years, I would stomp all around the woods trynna answer similar questions to OP’s. I got a lot of miles on the boots and ground registered in the databanks, that’s for sure. I also spent tons of hours pulling burrs out of my clothes by hand, getting tangled in stuff, bumping deer up out of beds, sinking into heat exhaustion or dehydration, freezing myself to near emergency status, hauling a treestand where a treestand was useless, or getting so frustrated with hauling it to the thick stuff that I started ground hunting exclusively until I got a saddle, and sometimes…completely the opposite, staying in open timber or a field edge, expecting deer to just show up where I happened to be with no real reason to be there other than I saw acorns and someone told me deer like acorns or there were a few tracks cutting across an open area.
But once I started seeing the tracks leading into and out of the thick stuff, how and why they might have crossed that open area, where those acorns were in relation to the thick cover or how the land transitions (years and miles on the boots), I started to see more deer. I practiced reading maps better and correlating once I got to a location, etc.
Also, I agree with others that “thick” has a wide margin of description based on your geography. Where I used to hunt in DE, thick meant you couldn’t see 5 feet past yourself on the ground, often swampy or thorny, nasty nasty stuff, and I would hang my set like 10-15 yards just outside of that on the first tree I could get a few sticks into with a view on a runway (or “tunnel” lol) into or out of that cover. Bonus points for an oak or persimmon or apple tree nearby. Here in OH where I hunt now, thick means just a higher stem count, more honeysuckle and grapevine just kind of obstructing some view but you can still see a few yards in any direction, and often close to a larger destination food source or something like that. But the principle of setting up right near a runway into or out of that is the same. I really benefit from post-season scouting in this regard. The thickest stuff is usually passable, or at least observable and trudgeable, in Jan and Feb. Mark gps locations, prep trees, and if you can’t cut limbs or clear brush with tools, you can stomp down trails and snap stuff with your hands and boots, put tacks on trunks, plan entries and exits, etc. for next season, and may only require a little TLC when you get back to hunt it later.
I really can’t say enough about getting your boots on (maybe leaving your climbing gear at the truck sometimes, or just a stick or two and small platform), grabbing some water and a map, and lugging your bow all over public ground until you start to see these features reveal themselves. Then bring the saddle gear in when you think you have an idea, and sit for a few hours in a tree that you believe will put deer in your eyes.
This is a really great thread btw. Too many newer (and more experienced) hunters are embarrassed to admit they are wondering the same things. I’m still learning about this stuff every time I go into woods, and expect to be made a complete fool of by the deer at least once every few hunts. Some days it’s easier, you just nail the spot selection and have a great hunt, more times you’ll see few or no deer and be completely wrong or your timing completely off. Oh well, that’s hunting. Enjoy it all, and good luck!

I guess I’m scared to stink up the bedding areas and have the deer move out to an unknown location. My season is over till January. Maybe I should go poke around now.
It’s public land. Those bedding areas are likely to have been stunk up plenty by now. And the deer are probably nonplussed by intrusion depending on the tract, and won’t bust completely outta town just because of you. They might skirt your presence and watch you walk by unaware they’re onto you, but I can guarantee that’s already happening. So have some fun man. Be smart about the wind, but go find those deer!

Back