• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Things I'm Changing after Saddlepalooza

bowhunter15

Vendor Rep
I learned a lot from being around so many saddle hunters and trying their methods. Here are a few changes I'm likely to change, further test, or buy:

-Buying a pair of Yoder chaps with Tingley ultralight boots. @redsquirrel had these and I was shocked at how light they were, and how well they held up for him over the last year. They would work great in cattail marshes.
-Trying an Amsteel bridge. I love the functionality of my Samson Predator bridge with Ropeman for adjustability. Amsteel is so much lighter and less bulky, but not as adjustable in a bridge. The main reason I like the adjustment is so I can lengthen and toss over my shoulders while walking. So I'm going to try a fixed amsteel bridge long enough to go over my shoulders. It should work, since I had done the same concept with webbing on my old SitDrag.
-Buying a couple more Wildedge steps. I have 4. After playing around with the Cain method and Wildedge aider, and new knot method, I'm going to give them some more testing. I can get roughly the same height with 6 steps (~6lb) and 3 DIY sticks with aiders (~6lb). The sticks are faster, but the steps pack better, especially if I'm only packing a small platform.
-Alternative self filming methods: I'm going to further play around with filming in multiple action cams and Tactacams vs. a camera arm. I'd need to get a system that I really like to stomach leaving the AX100 at home, but ditching the camera arm would mean ditching a pack in early season and cutting my setup time and maneuverability drastically. So we'll see how that goes.
-Amsteel mini lineman's belt. Jess had a mini lineman's belt she used when going around branches. It seems like a great idea.
-More stealth strips. I'm going to stealth strip everything I haven't already stealth stripped, including the Wild Edge steps and rubbing surfaces of the Yoder chaps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Good stuff! I have also been thinking about the different stuff I saw and how I will be changing some stuff this year as well.

After trying the wild edge steps I will for sure be getting some to try the Cain method and to use as an ultralight platform when climbing with my spikes.

I will be switching my bridge to fixed Amsteel as well. I had one on my SitDrag and liked it but got away from it last year. I forgot how much I liked the Amsteel as a bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I learned a lot from being around so many saddle hunters and trying their methods. Here are a few changes I'm likely to change, further test, or buy:

-Buying a pair of Yoder chaps with Tingley ultralight boots. @redsquirrel had these and I was shocked at how light they were, and how well they held up for him over the last year. They would work great in cattail marshes.
-Trying an Amsteel bridge. I love the functionality of my Samson Predator bridge with Ropeman for adjustability. Amsteel is so much lighter and less bulky, but not as adjustable in a bridge. The main reason I like the adjustment is so I can lengthen and toss over my shoulders while walking. So I'm going to try a fixed amsteel bridge long enough to go over my shoulders. It should work, since I had done the same concept with webbing on my old SitDrag.
-Buying a couple more Wildedge steps. I have 4. After playing around with the Cain method and Wildedge aider, and new knot method, I'm going to give them some more testing. I can get roughly the same height with 6 steps (~6lb) and 3 DIY sticks with aiders (~6lb). The sticks are faster, but the steps pack better, especially if I'm only packing a small platform.
-Alternative self filming methods: I'm going to further play around with filming in multiple action cams and Tactacams vs. a camera arm. I'd need to get a system that I really like to stomach leaving the AX100 at home, but ditching the camera arm would mean ditching a pack in early season and cutting my setup time and maneuverability drastically. So we'll see how that goes.
-Amsteel mini lineman's belt. Jess had a mini lineman's belt she used when going around branches. It seems like a great idea.
-More stealth strips. I'm going to stealth strip everything I haven't already stealth stripped, including the Wild Edge steps and rubbing surfaces of the Yoder chaps.

What’s that mini linesman’s look like?

+1 on the mini lineman's belt pic. I like the idea. I was goofing around in my yard with a tree with a branch yesterday. I had to unclip the linemans. Not a big deal but I should always be tied in. I can use the tether but that is just clunky.

Oh man, what's the cain method? I'm also going to pick up some wild edge stepps, lots of other stuff to think about that's for sure, already put a rim fire on the wish list for piggies next year!

Oh and I'm going to take a file to my climbing spurs gaffs thanks @Erniepower

Last edited:
Hello from central Florida
Just bought my first saddle and need a platform/ ribg of steps. I’ve been following along the saddlepolooza threads scouring for likes and dislikes . It seams like a lot of people are using he wild edge steps as a platform ring . Was there a consensus from the attendees about which platform products are working the best for everyone? I’m thinking about getting the wild edge strategy for my platform . How many do I need and is anyone selling any ?

This thread is awesome. Thanks for the ideas for new things to try. Anybody know where to buy those chaps online?

And you really have me thinking hard about the stepps again. Definitely waiting to see if you prefer them over sticks.

Last edited:
I definitely have some goals in mind now.

- Work more with my spurs... and try rappelling down. @Erniepower made it look so dang easy.

- Find a pair of EONPOW climbers and mod similar to @Boudreaux and become proficient.

- Cut down my Heliums and see if I like using my sticks enough to make a custom set from scratch.

- Work on getting an SRT setup.

I definitely have some goals in mind now.

- Work more with my spurs... and try rappelling down. @Erniepower made it look so dang easy.

- Find a pair of EONPOW climbers and mod similar to @Boudreaux and become proficient.

- Cut down my Heliums and see if I like using my sticks enough to make a custom set from scratch.

- Work on getting an SRT setup.
That list should keep you busy til next season!

Honestly I don't remember exactly. If Jess or someone else has a picture of it, it would be appreciated.

Small diameter whoopie sling with girth hitch on one side and biner on the other.
Zoom in on pic to see it better
b00a492d2a3b0c697223643eab61d47d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
@Big Country is right. @Jcar was using a 7/64ths Amsteel whoopie sling as a secondary bridge. This is genius. It packs up to the size of a pen, weighs nothing, and is only used to move around branches. There are lots of uses for something like this in your pack. Plus it has a 1600lb breaking strength.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Oh man, what's the cain method? @Erniepower

I think it’s the one where you put the step above your head, grab it with both hands and walk up the tree to the next step. Then he clipped his harness into the step at waist height and repeat. There’s a thread on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She was using it with a soft shackle, but I wouldn't recommend that. They're pretty fiddly. A tiny carabiner is a better choice IMO.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I'm going to have to come next year to pitch the one stick....did we not send any champions this year?

Going to try the wild edge steps for another option of climbing a tree.
New set of sticks that are a bit lighter than my old gorrila sticks. Going to try a amsteel bridge also.

Back