• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Think about torque on your hunting platforms

Whereareallthedeer

Howdy. I came across this failure today at work. It is not directly hunting related, but got me thinking about hunting platforms and ROS. Failures do happen and it is very important to check hardware and make sure that things are in place and tight where they are supposed to be. One of our "breakaway basketball rims" didn't break away, it just broke! I wasn't there when it happened, but it would have normally been bolted with two bolts at the top and two at the bottom. The top two are drop and slide carrage bolts which should have held in position while the bottom two were secured with washers and tightened. Somehow the whole thing was pushed up enough to knock off the two carrage bolts at the top, and the 1/8" thick steel about 7/8" wide on either end of the bottom bolts snapped. The L shape of the basketball rims isn't that different from the shape of a tree platform, and that is why I felt the need to include something here. Hope the pictures post.Screenshot_20190904-092934.pngScreenshot_20190904-093005.png

Back