• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Think bow speed matters?

Bwhana

SH Member
This is not a brand new video, but one with valuable information for all types of bow hunters. This one should be enough to make us all question how far is too far and what is truly ethical for any bow based on science and facts, as opposed to our opinions and pro shop gossip (yes, even my beloved xbow is in question). Enjoy!

I love this channel and this video. I like their scientific approach and analyzation of data. I remember seeing it when it originally posted. Good to rewatch.

Interesting. It is one of the reasons I won't shoot beyond 40. And much much prefer 30 or less.
Thanks for posting that.

Great video, thanks for sharing. The only other factor I would like to see added to the equation is the "loudness" of the bow and relate that with the speed. Of course, it would be difficult because you would have to test it with a live animal, not balloons.
If the arrow speed is quieter and slower how would that equate with a faster arrow but a louder bow as far as the deer's reaction?

Great video, thanks for sharing. The only other factor I would like to see added to the equation is the "loudness" of the bow and relate that with the speed. Of course, it would be difficult because you would have to test it with a live animal, not balloons.
If the arrow speed is quieter and slower how would that equate with a faster arrow but a louder bow as far as the deer's reaction?
I think the loudness and speed is irrelevant based on the science, check the second video on pigs instead of balloons. No xbow or bow is shooting fast enough, so game animals still have time to react not only to the shot sound, but also the fetching noise coming at them. Even a very quiet trad bow makes enough sound to have them react, and all arrows have fetching noise.

This is a reality check for me. I used to shoot competition back in the day and I "knew" no deer could jump the string on my 80lb speed demon, even at longer ranges. I was wrong and the misses I had with that bow were likely not my fault, they simply got out of the way of the arrow. I have taken deer out to 75 yds in the past. One I saw as it actually dropped, then came back up into the arrow. I am done with long shots, even though I can hit a quarter at 80 yds with my xbow.

Killed a bunch of critters and I don’t recall the first one asking how fast I was shooting.So no.Picking and executing good shots is where its at.No bow shoots fast enough for doing otherwise.JMO

You can get a LOT quieter shooting by slowing it down. Speed is necessary as far as reducing drop over your effective range. Aside from that, I’d rather have momentum. That’s where your penetrating power comes from.

As far as a deer dropping at the shot... if it’s alert, aim center heart (much lower than most people’s natural aim point). I don’t EVER stop a deer because they can’t drop if they are already mid step. Also, don’t push your range because you can hit a paper target. Those don’t move. For whitetail, 35 yards is my absolute max specifically because their tendency to jump the string.

From what I have heard and seen, muleys and elk don’t jump strings like whitetail do.

My bow is pretty slow. At 60-65 pounds and 28.5 draw when i shoot a light arrow it sounds like a .22 going off compared to heavy arrows. It gets significantly quieter the heavier the arrow gets whenever I'm playing around with heavy field points

This information has made me think about trying a compound again. Shoulder surgery took me into the xbow world, but I may find a 50lb, 80% letoff bow that would be easy on the shoulder and be just fine. Amazing to see data like this and how much BS advertising there is out there. Archery companies are the world's worst at pushing the latest and fastest to hunters. Competition archers need it, but most of us don't. Also, if you truly look at the "progress" of bows in the past 20 years, they really are not statistically any faster, more accurate, or truly better now than they were back then. Now I need more videos to show me what an ethical range is for my Cold Steel spear - she make make a few trips with me this fall!

I haven’t watched the video yet but I certainly think speed matters if you don’t have a range finder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This information has made me think about trying a compound again. Shoulder surgery took me into the xbow world, but I may find a 50lb, 80% letoff bow that would be easy on the shoulder and be just fine. Amazing to see data like this and how much BS advertising there is out there. Archery companies are the world's worst at pushing the latest and fastest to hunters. Competition archers need it, but most of us don't. Also, if you truly look at the "progress" of bows in the past 20 years, they really are not statistically any faster, more accurate, or truly better now than they were back then. Now I need more videos to show me what an ethical range is for my Cold Steel spear - she make make a few trips with me this fall!
Try a long brace height as well for your shoulder’s sake.

I haven’t watched the video yet but I certainly think speed matters if you don’t have a range finder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that's true to a degree. At longer distances the errors in range estimation is less penalizing the flatter your trajectories. Less important if your not shooting over 30 yds.

Back