• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Those that pack out

Hoythunter1861

For those that quarter/debone to pack out their deer, can you give some information on your method?
I’ve never done it before, but with moving more to public land and being further a way, I can see the benefits.
I do hunt in the south (Georgia and Alabama) and mostly worried about meat spoilage.
Any info would be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunt South Louisiana so I understand worry about spoiling. If I can’t get to skinning and d quartering within an hour, I gut it as soon as i can. Once I do that then I’ll stop at a store and pack ice in the carcass to keep it cool till i get it to the skinning shed. Hooe it helps

Lots of videos on folks cleaning them on the ground. If I'm going slow, it's about a half hour to quarter, grab neck and backstraps, pack up and roll. Another half hour if I'm boning them out.

I carry a 50lb plastic ice bag with blue gloves rolled up in my pack. Wear the gloves while I'm doing work, throw them in bag with meat when I'm done. Clean hands for the walk out it nice.

Load lifters and a sure enough frame pack if you're shooting 200lb deer. If you're boning out a deer under 150, you can probably slum it with a standard day pack.

Here is what I do. Individual results may vary.

I have a badlands 2200. In bow season it's in my truck. In gun season it is with me.

In it is an Alaskan game bag.

When it comes time, I do the gutless method. I do everything boneless. I leave the ribs for the bears and scavengers. No need for a saw or to gut, just reach in and pull the tenderloins out.

I would recommend packing a pair of mesh shorts with you. Even in the cold you could be sweating pretty bad. Also, at least for me--my first time doing this was with around 30# of whitetail meat on my back. I would of thought it was 100#. I was not used to that much weight in that location on my back. You will have to fine tune to your liking.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I’m running 4 pillow cases, paracord an a Benchmade altitude if I have time I hang it on the platform an debone it.

If I’m pressed I’ll do gutless on the ground An pack out with bones.

Eberlstock x2 pack

I don’t have any experience with quartering deer out in the field for the pack out but I am brushing up on the technique. There is a spot I picked up this year that requires about a 1 mile kayak trip in order to get into the best location. The river has a VERY strong current and I don’t think I would be able to float/paddle him out with me. It is definitely an option but I know those are early season days in TN can sure be hot…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m running 4 pillow cases, paracord an a Benchmade altitude if I have time I hang it on the platform an debone it.

If I’m pressed I’ll do gutless on the ground An pack out with bones.

Eberlstock x2 pack

I use the x2 as well. Pack is awesome. Small enough to be a day pack, but tough enough to haul out some meat.

I'd say if you can get the deer cut up and on ice within a few hours you'll be alright. A whitetail in the south isn't a big animal. Cut it up, put it in a game bag and then put it in a trash bag inside the pack. I like the black ovis game bags and they are on camofire regularly

I field dress the deer. Walk to jeep and get cart. Go back and haul deer out. Then go back and get my equipment. Those deer sleds work good also. Seen one that a guy bolted small wheels to one end of the sled. Never really had to quarter up a deer. I guess if I was down in some valley I would. But I would still be making several trips in and out to pack out. So the cart works good for me.

Back