• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Throwball & paracord presets for JRB, SRT, DRT

John RB

The bulk of this video, the part with all the throws, was done in one continuous roll, no edits, no retakes. I like to keep it real. Unfortunately, I failed to mention that I like a 16 oz throw ball. But other than that there should be some good advice for rope climbers in here.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Man, the worst part about SRT. Sometimes it feels damn near impossible.
d00c0dd89cc26b8afa0030d81394894b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Great video John! I've really appreciated everything you've put out so far. One point I'd make though is whenever possible - its a really good practice to have your lifeline come around the trunk, not just over a limb whether you're using DRT or SRT, so thats where having extra length in your throw-line is handy - you can use it to throw the throwball back around from the back-side if necessary. Obviously the size of the limb and your comfort level is the deciding factor. See this image from Jepsons tree climber's companion to illustrate the point:
GEpbwR7.png

In a SRT scenario if you were using a canopy tie, you would want your tie in such a fashion that it is cinching on the trunk not the limb, If you're using a base tie you'd use the side of the line that comes around the trunk for your base-tie, and your live side would be the side coming over the crotch. In a DRT scenario you'd generally pick which side would be the live end based on what's more convenient to your final position.

The main advantage of this - is that with your lifeline around the trunk, rather than just a limb - the load is applied to the trunk, and less so to the limb so you can tie in at smaller limbs while still having confidence that your tie in is safe.

I hope that's helpful for you (and anyone else using rope access)

Great video John! I've really appreciated everything you've put out so far. One point I'd make though is whenever possible - its a really good practice to have your lifeline come around the trunk, not just over a limb whether you're using DRT or SRT, so thats where having extra length in your throw-line is handy - you can use it to throw the throwball back around from the back-side if necessary. Obviously the size of the limb and your comfort level is the deciding factor. See this image from Jepsons tree climber's companion to illustrate the point:
GEpbwR7.png

In a SRT scenario if you were using a canopy tie, you would want your tie in such a fashion that it is cinching on the trunk not the limb, If you're using a base tie you'd use the side of the line that comes around the trunk for your base-tie, and your live side would be the side coming over the crotch. In a DRT scenario you'd generally pick which side would be the live end based on what's more convenient to your final position.

The main advantage of this - is that with your lifeline around the trunk, rather than just a limb - the load is applied to the trunk, and less so to the limb so you can tie in at smaller limbs while still having confidence that your tie in is safe.

I hope that's helpful for you (and anyone else using rope access)
That is an excellent point and particularly applicable when we have any doubt whatsoever about the thickness of the tree crotch we have chosen. Or when it gives us better positioning. I have tried it extensively, particularly on thicker trees and in this scenario, I do not prefer it because it pulls me into the tree too hard and remember that I stay on my climbing rope the entire time. Is that a picture out of the tree climbers companion? Because I seem to have misplaced mine!

That is an excellent point and particularly applicable when we have any doubt whatsoever about the thickness of the tree crotch we have chosen. Or when it gives us better positioning. I have tried it extensively, particularly on thicker trees and in this scenario, I do not prefer it because it pulls me into the tree too hard and remember that I stay on my climbing rope the entire time. Is that a picture out of the tree climbers companion? Because I seem to have misplaced mine!

Exactly - for example I was teaching a buddy of mine how to do SRT canopy ties yesterday and pointed out that 8" limb in the white oak he was using was a total non issue, whereas if it was say a small diameter soft maple or ash(with EAB everywhere you could not pay me enough money to climb any ash), you would absolutely want to be around the trunk not just the limb. Got to have the knowledge to know when to err on the side of caution, Gear is heavy, knowledge only weighs on the mind.

As for your positioning - what about using a higher crotch, it will decrease your angle to the trunk? SOP as an arborist is to hit the highest crotch that can safely take the load, so you dont have to reposition as much - obviously not directly applicable due to the difference in scenario, but if you've got the rope length to do it it may help.

If you search online, you can find a PDF copy of the tree climbers companion in a variety of places. I think scribd has it. If you cant find it let me know.

Also - while I have your attention mind weighing in on my post about rope color?

Thanks again!

So, yes, a high TIP will change the angle. If your saddle has hip pinch, you will feel it more. If ya use a JX3 or similar (like my own DIY), its not an issue though.

This is why I largely went to base hitches. Don’t really care where there throwball goes so long as the apex is over a substantial limb or crotch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why I largely went to base hitches. Don’t really care where there throwball goes so long as the apex is over a substantial limb or crotch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And you (or anyone reading this) understands that a basal anchor will double the load on the crotch, right? So instead of holding say a 200lb climber, its seeing 400.

So, yes, a high TIP will change the angle. If your saddle has hip pinch, you will feel it more. If ya use a JX3 or similar (like my own DIY), its not an issue though.

So can we see this diy jx3???? Please!

So can we see this diy jx3???? Please!
I just gotta send ya to jx3. My saddle isn't adequately tested. You can buy a dozen safe saddles... but ya don't have that many options for safe climbing methods and that's why I'm focusing on that.

In light of recent events, so many have asked me to do more work on general safety and so i am working on that now... and hunting!

Back