• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thumb release with face mask

MNFarmHunter

There's another thread about thumb releases but didn't want to hijack that one.

I like my wrist release for the simple fact that I use my arm strength to draw back as opposed to using my hand strength. I don't even move my finger to the trigger until I'm getting ready to fire. I then use my thumb sticking straight out to find my anchor point under my chin/neck to verify everything before releasing. It works well, am very consistent with it and is repeatable. However, I noticed while hunting this fall that this method didn't work.

Due to the downward angle and being slightly twisted posture, I lost my thumb anchor point and had to guess if I was in the correct position. It seemed like forever, running through all of my posture/anchor checks before releasing but never could get my thumb anchor to line up. The arrow went exactly where I wanted it but it left me wondering if a thumb release would be better.

Since your hand anchors against the side of your face and your face should be facing your target, my thinking is that this would provide added confidence regardless of position. The thumb release however would bring the string further back and closer to my face and am wondering about interference with a face mask.

With all that said, does wearing a face mask cause issues when using a thumb release or am I overthinking a non-issue?

I’ve never had any issues. Even with a thumb release anchor points remain the same, corner of mouth and tip of nose. There are thumb releases that have a bit longer head or you could run a bit longer D loop if you run into that issue

Yup. Line between index and middle fingers line up with jawbone. Corner of mouth, nose on string. Usually no interference. I’m sure there’s some. I’m sure it can affect long distance shooting. No effect inside 30 yards.

Yup. Line between index and middle fingers line up with jawbone. Corner of mouth, nose on string. Usually no interference. I’m sure there’s some. I’m sure it can affect long distance shooting. No effect inside 30 yards.
Spot on here.

As far as the face mask causing interference it might depend what kind you wear. If its one of the heavier fleece types that have a looser fit I wouldn't be surprised if it caused some interference. I personally use a neck gaiter that fits pretty tight and haven't had any issues - although I will pull it down when circumstances allow.

You might try a different reference point for your anchor with the index. I always used the knuckle on my index finger touching my ear as my first point of reference. But you should always have a secondary reference point - i.e. tip of the nose on the string. Feel like focusing on this and then just peep alignment might allow you to keep using your current release.

I don’t think a face mask interferes with thumb release any more than a wrist release does. Practice in full gear is key though.

There's another thread about thumb releases but didn't want to hijack that one.

I like my wrist release for the simple fact that I use my arm strength to draw back as opposed to using my hand strength. I don't even move my finger to the trigger until I'm getting ready to fire. I then use my thumb sticking straight out to find my anchor point under my chin/neck to verify everything before releasing. It works well, am very consistent with it and is repeatable. However, I noticed while hunting this fall that this method didn't work.

Due to the downward angle and being slightly twisted posture, I lost my thumb anchor point and had to guess if I was in the correct position. It seemed like forever, running through all of my posture/anchor checks before releasing but never could get my thumb anchor to line up. The arrow went exactly where I wanted it but it left me wondering if a thumb release would be better.

Since your hand anchors against the side of your face and your face should be facing your target, my thinking is that this would provide added confidence regardless of position. The thumb release however would bring the string further back and closer to my face and am wondering about interference with a face mask.

With all that said, does wearing a face mask cause issues when using a thumb release or am I overthinking a non-issue?
I pull my facemask down soon as i see a deer

Depends on what you practice with. All summer long I practice wearing medium gloves and full facemask every time. I haven't yet had the opportunity to shoot in a league or for just target, it was all about hunting for me, that's why. And the mask may move around but find a bone on your face to anchor with....works for me anyways.

Back