• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thumb release??

i cant rave enough about Hot Shot releases customer service, i bought a used 3 finger vapor release and it got lost outside. found it a week and a half later filled with gunk, so i took it apart and cleaned it, losing the internal spring when reassembling. I got a hold of Hot Shot to see about ordering a new spring for it, it was covered by their warranty, all i had to do was mail it in and they took it apart and cleaned it, made sure it was in good working order, and mailed it back to me. they carry a lifetime warranty on their products, so it really is buy once cry once.

I liked their service so much i sold my carter chocolate addiction and picked up a Hot Shot Eclipse, very nice release, honestly right up there with my carter.

I bought a Vapor (bout $ 90 total amazon) I liked it, very simple and worked good. My grandson liked it now he has it. He is a finger puncher and I have been trying to get him out of that, I think this is going to work well for him. For me I liked it , smooth, easy to shoot, grouping was good but I have a Carter RX1 finger and I shoot it without any issues, I just had to know if I was missing out on something with the thumb release. For me I was not but the thumb release is a very good option. Now here is my BAD advise (money wise), If you have it on your mind you need to try one or change, get one some way and try it so you can get that off your mind. I do think most folks would like a thumb release, they are nice.

Last edited:
If you get one dont shoot it a few times and say you dont like it. I see alot of people do this. I was almost one of them. I bought one and instantly started shooting left. A few shots would be dead on but most were left. I almost gave up on it a few weeks ago until i spoke with my guy at my shop who i get my stuff from. Hes an older fellow with years of experience. He calmly an point blank told me its wasnt the release and to really pay attention to how much face pressure i was putting on the string. I really started paying attention an its really worked. My groups are right where they are with my wrist release.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm currently running a Stan SX3. I am a much better shooter because of it; I had a lot of bad habits to unlearn from using a wrist strap for 15 years.

Stan releases are not cheap, but they are worth it. As far as price is concerned; I cannot give too much advice on cheaper options. Maybe look for a used one?

i feel like this would be a good opportunity for me to explain a bit of my experience with thumb releases so far. I am by no means an expert and quite honestly am limited in my experiences with thumb button releases. Ive tried a few different Truball thumb style releases, a carter chocolate addiction, a hot shot vapor and a hot shot eclipse. the way i see thumb release style aides there are 2 different categories that stick out to me.

the cheaper style ones, usually sub $100.

these ones usually have a pincer style clamp, you have to squeeze it slightly to clip onto your d loop, they do not lock shut. they are perfectly functional, and work pretty good. the downsides are that it doesnt have as much adjustment capability and that since it does not lock, you cant just hang it from your dloop while hunting, or you can but risk it being bumped off of it. in this case what i did was have a D snap shackle (https://doublesteps.com/product/d-shape-plastic-snap-shackle/) and use the lanyard from the release to clip it into that, you can even leave the d snap open while hanging and it will stay on it.

$100+ ones have different style jaws depending on what one you get, but usually have a cocking mechanism in the back. you press the cocking mechanism, and close the jaws shut over your d loop, and they are locked shut, and will only open when the barrel is squeezed. they have more adjustability in the travel of the trigger, and most allow for different springs to be inserted to adjust how much pressure is needed to break and release the jaw. downsides to that are obviously cost, as they can be easily 2-3 times the cost of a cheaper one, and sometimes the fit of the release in your hand is ackward depending on the size of the release/hand.

Ill edit this to add some pictures to hopefully show what i mean a bit better

Hot Shot Vapor

20210801_141725.jpg

Hot Shot Eclipse
20210801_141711.jpg

Manual for Eclipse showing different adjustment settings

20210801_141654.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve got a TRU Ball Champ. Pretty good, for me at least. Trick was to learn to hold the “ok” with first and thumb. Use the ring finger to pull the trigger. The shop where I got mine had a para-cord tied to a grip. Said to make one of those to practice the release.

Pffft. Just started slinging arrows.

So far only one “oops” where I had my thumb loose and hit the button during a draw. So, like a regular release, be mindful of where the business finger goes when in “safety” mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

af6cfb97c5216d940eec552baadbd6ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I second the Tru Ball Champ, it’s been a excellent release for me. Just like Spence71 I also had a arrow release on me while drawing . That trigger can be sensitive to the touch when your not use to it .

I have a Tru Ball Boss that is over 10 years old now and probably not made anymore. That said it works great still and is now my backup. I only went back to a wrist release after dropping this out of several stands. I also have the Carter Quickie that is small and fits nicely in a pocket for a backup. I like the wrist release for longer than expected holds as I feel I can stay steady/secure longer. The thumb releases though work great to break target panic and practice more of a back tension or surprise release of the shot.

The only thing I will add to the good advice already given is, regardless of brand, find one that fits your hand. Thumb releases are like gloves. The right size for your hand will make your experience much better.

I don’t like any thumb releases that does not have a rotating head. I feel if it doesn’t it puts too much torque on your bow string unless you have a really long D loop. I have been shooting the truball three finger max hunter for over a decade and still have the same one I love it.

Agree with @Loucamp that fit is more important than brand. Several great brands that will work great if they fit your hand. I went through several before I found the one which ended up being the Stan Perfex

I use a Carter Wise Choice because I wanted the enclosed finger circle.

A few years ago I had a PSE Dreamseaon EVO bow that I loved and decided I wanted a thumb release. Aftter YEARS of shooting recurves, I "relaxed" my release while applying back back tension and sent a Truball throught my rest! Yup, would have been a great release with one of my stickbows but ended up wrecking my rest and obliterating my cable guard.

I use the wise choice when shooting a compound now for that reason. Expensive but worth it in my opinion.

Thumb releases rock when used as a hinge-type release. Do NOT punch that trigger with your thumb.

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

Which ever Carter you like . Buy once cry once . It'll out live you

Agree with this statement. I have a Nock 2It (Carter) that is one of the best archery investments that I’ve made but it will break the bank. Bought once, cried once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back