• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ticks

They are thick in my area this year.
663dc8500c7e9a205e66e83a2d585309.jpg
300136fa2d2e0c5b999b5dcc63609f3b.jpg

I’m rolling prepared though to prevent any unwanted diseases or allergies. Nasty Buggers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got into a bunch or them little seed ticks this morning. Need to apply permethrin to my boots and pants again.

After my experience a couple of years ago I now permethrin (Sawyers) treat all of my "mid layer" clothes paying particular attention to the collars, sleeves and waist lines. By mid layer clothes I'm referring to the camo jeans and long sleeve camo shirts I wear in and around camp all day and under my outer layers when I hunt. I don't want to pick these little guys up in the grasses around camp and then drag them into my camper inadvertently.

I don't typically treat my outer camo as I figure they need to get by the mid layers to get to me anyway. Another reason for treating my mid layers is that I pack my outer layer in so I'm walking through the brush with the mid layers primarily exposed anyway. Outer layer camo stays in the covered bed of the pickup when I'm not hunting.

I`ve been using Permethrin 0.5 % on all my outfits too. Plus side for me is not only does it do a great job on tics but repels mosquitoes too. Used in conjunction with thermacell I feel getting Lime and EEE is much less likely. Great stuff.

I unfortunately got blessed with "bambi's revenge" (alpha gal allergy) about 8 yr ago from the lonestar tick. I now use Permethrin on everything. I've sent all my hunting/hiking clothing to InsectShield to have them impregnate with Permethrin. InsectShield has come up with a method to impregnate the material for 80+ washes or the life of the garment.

After my experience a couple of years ago I now permethrin (Sawyers) treat all of my "mid layer" clothes paying particular attention to the collars, sleeves and waist lines. By mid layer clothes I'm referring to the camo jeans and long sleeve camo shirts I wear in and around camp all day and under my outer layers when I hunt. I don't want to pick these little guys up in the grasses around camp and then drag them into my camper inadvertently.

I don't typically treat my outer camo as I figure they need to get by the mid layers to get to me anyway. Another reason for treating my mid layers is that I pack my outer layer in so I'm walking through the brush with the mid layers primarily exposed anyway. Outer layer camo stays in the covered bed of the pickup when I'm not hunting.
what is best brand spray you have found or are they all the same

Insectshield and gamehide. I am done putzing around mixing and spraying. All I spray now is my backpack and boots.

I should have bought gamehide clothes much, much sooner!

Insectshield and gamehide. I am done putzing around mixing and spraying. All I spray now is my backpack and boots.

I should have bought gamehide clothes much, much sooner!
I have pants and shirt Game Hide Insectshield, had them a few years, have not had a tick or chigger while wearing them. Good stuff.

Watched on youtube where a guy killed a early season deer that had a lot of ticks on the deer's belly section. Don't want the ticks on me, in my truck or at my house so has anyone ever sprayed a deer's belly section lightly with a Permethrin mixture before loading in their truck. From what I have read it will kill ticks and after dried not so bad on humans, I don't think it would soak into the skin and we throw that away.

I’ve got lots of ticks on my property unfortunately and must treat all my clothing and boots with permethrin. Seed ticks are so small they could be on you for days before being discovered but permethrin really works. Also opossums eat lots of ticks.

what is best brand spray you have found or are they all the same
Its hard to go wrong with factory treated clothes. Insectshield and Gamehide are just 2 of the brands on the market. Insect shield will treat YOUR clothes. They charge by the pound.
Sawyers is good, but their bottles suck. Both aerosol and pump spray are terrible.
Ive bought the concentrate from tractor supply. Very economical with other uses. Ive not tried Martin brand concentrate, but I hear its water based and has less odor. Most stuff does dry odorless, but I have had some with a lingering chemical odor. It goes away eventually.

Permethrin sprayed on all my clothes. I buy 10% farm grade and dilute accordingly. Never had a tick on me since. I had a bout with lymes and it's no joke. Treat everything I have. Many times throughout the season. Cheap insurance

I had just settled into my saddle and trying to cool off. I was getting my binos up when I spotted one and flicked me off the tree. I may have spooked deer as much flicking as I was doing. Made the ol lady check me over about 8 times when I got to the house.

I use rynoskin and permethrin. Not even mosquitoes can bite through the new rynoskin. I've tested it and have no complaints at all.

It's Dec 1st, where I scout I will have to dress for ticks today and tomorrow will have to dress to keep from freezing. Bama weather.

Back