• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Time to pick?

kbetts

SH Member
This is right across the street from my house. Never collected them before. Are they ripe? I've read a little on here. Seems there are fewer with that dark color.

b8f1ccfebd571bd167c633e881800348.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The longer you can leave them the better. The pods will turn brown, right before they split. They are getting close.

I doubt they are early enough to compromise the silk inside by picking. I would try to give them a few more days if possible though, so the seeds fully develop. I have gotten to where I spread the seed to help the cause.

If it is somewhere you can see daily, I would let one just barely pop, and grab all but 2 or 3 (so they propagate) at that time.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

This is right across the street from my house. Never collected them before. Are they ripe? I've read a little on here. Seems there are fewer with that dark color.

b8f1ccfebd571bd167c633e881800348.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Pick them now, cut a slice in them long ways, let them bake in the sun for a day or two, good to go.

They key is to wait until the plant starts to dry out on its own.
Try this...cut into a pod stem and let some of the (super sticky) white sap get on your hands. I swear that sap is the same thing they put in Elmer's glue.
At that stage, that sap is still within the pod to the extent that the floaters have sap residue on them. The floaters won't completely expand because the hairs stick together. There is a huge difference in how well a prime floater will drift compared to ones that were harvested before they were ready.
I picked a few pods about 3 or 4 weeks ago. They were plump and looked great. I put them in a food dehydrator for almost 48 hours. They came out dry, but the floaters just plain suck. Even weeks later, the floaters will not fully fluff and expand. Yeah, they float, but they still aren't as good as they will be when the pods are starting to dry on the plant. The difference in how well mature floaters will drift is dramatic.
Our pods are starting to look like the photo in the OP. They are starting to turn colors, so I decided to pick one yesterday. There is still a couple spots of sap oozing from a few pin-holes in the husk. The pods are getting closer to picking time, but if they are somewhat accessible to you, why pick them now? Wait until they naturally start to dry on the plant if you want premium floaters.

They cut them yesterday....lol. Plenty of patches around though.

They cut them yesterday....lol. Plenty of patches around though.
The road crews have mowed some of the ones I was watching, but like you, there are still thousands of pods still available to pick.

Hey, it's the nature of milkweed, right? The stuff doesn't stay isolated to one small patch. Over the years those floaters have drifted and planted more milkweed downwind. If you have one patch, you know there's more somewhere nearby.

Back