• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

To one stick or not

Josh@FloBama

I have just purchased my first saddle, a Trophyline Covert Lite. I am just getting it fitted right and getting used to wearing it and hanging at ground level. I am now trying to determine the best climbing option for me, a hunter new to saddle hunting. I am very intrigued by the one stick method because of ease and packability. Being a new saddle hunter should I immediately dive into the one stick method, or should I spend my first deer season using climbing sticks to get comfortable with the whole process?

Multiple sticks are definitely easier to climb. But if you're learning something brand new anyway, one sticking gives you the advantage of less to carry and less weight and if you don't like it, everything else is easier to climb.

I started climbing multiple helium sticks, and it's okay. I can go back to that. But I'm not gonna.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Started last year and learned on 3 long helium sticks, first time hunting public land, and wanted to be more mobile. On my private land we don't have to walk far and can drive up to where we want. 3 long sticks are heavy and awkward on a back pack, then if you get a deer it's more weight to think about. Finished making a one stick with a me sewn 3 step aider and rappel rope for tether and getting down. Much lighter and makes more room in the backpack for extra clothing. Plenty of climbing methods in the classifieds from people who haven't found their method yet so getting one cheaper than new is easy.

Personally, I'd start with mini sticks like novix, beast or some other 20" or smaller. Its a nice balance between 30"+ sticks and a one stick setup in terms of bulk and weight if you factor in all the doodads that go along with 1 stick climbing. If you find you'd rather ditch the multiple sticks, sell all but one ministick and customize it to suit your needs.

Also, if you are worried about weight and packability then check into 2TC also, you already have the lineman's belt and tether, why not just add a foot loop and climb with that?

Also, most people who 1 stick are rappelling down, and 2TC you can rappel down also.

I started with sticks, heavy, easy, lots you can do, plus aiders help. Hawks were a lot lighter and nicer than those muddy sticks.

Switched to WE Stepps, a little lighter, have to learn some new knots, very easy to adjust where you are going up the tree, a little finicky on cam setting, and aiders really get you up a long way.

Switched to Bullman Steps, even lighter, have to remember to alternate step placement, but you can get around a tree easily, no aiders, watch side loading. But I could carry 6 per mag pouch, and if I thought I needed more I still have a set of bags that have 9 each on a shoulder loop. That got me knee high per step very comfortably at around 0.5# per step.

Tried 1 stick, felt I was shuffling back and forth a lot, but it was easy and has no limit on how high you go, easy to maneuver around the tree. Was carrying 2 Tether/Lineman's, and aider, and a short Hawk stick.

Switching this year to 2TC, I will probably carry 3 Tether/Lineman's while doing it to help getting over branches faster but can do it with 2 easily. My wife is using a leg band, I am still not certain it helps me. And we have to bring a 4 ounce foot loop with us. This is also quick to maneuver around the tree and has no height restrictions. I find this less technical than 1 stick and don't feel like I am moving as much in the tree as I am just going up and never reaching under myself to retrieve the stick.

Oh, almost forgot, I tried SRT/DRT a couple of dozen times. I hated throwing the bag up the tree, it was easy enough to do, I just felt it was too much motion in the woods that the deer might see. Tried leaving a preset on a tree, went back the next day and was thinking that presetting really is not practical for me better than 75% of the time. So, I stopped trying it for 1 stick. Then saw 2TC on here and my wife seems more comfortable with it.

Now, getting down with rope technique, 1 stick, or 2 tether climbing is best to just rappel, get a device that allows hands free stopping on the descent rope so you can pull your gear from the tree when done with the hunt.

Next, are you planning on a platform, ring of steps, or something else?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I’ve wandered through several sticks and a set of steps now. Trying to find what I like best. I did really like WE steps but at the end of the day decided I like sticks more I think. At the moment I have a full size set of LW sticks converted to double step and switched standoffs to beast standoffs. Also have a set of 20” beast minis. I also have a set of Novix minis that I ended up taking apart to tinker with. Made them into double steps first and eventually took the double steps off and put them on the LW sticks. I took one of the Novix sticks and am building a 1 stick out of it now.

Moral of the story, I’m glad I went through a progression of trying different sticks and climbing methods before trying 1 sticking. I did try 1 sticking before and liked it pretty well but didn’t give it much chance after that. Though I’m gonna try 1 stick again, I’m glad I have my other options still too. It’s good to have options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, if you are worried about weight and packability then check into 2TC also, you already have the lineman's belt and tether, why not just add a foot loop and climb with that?

Also, most people who 1 stick are rappelling down, and 2TC you can rappel down also.

I started with sticks, heavy, easy, lots you can do, plus aiders help. Hawks were a lot lighter and nicer than those muddy sticks.

Switched to WE Stepps, a little lighter, have to learn some new knots, very easy to adjust where you are going up the tree, a little finicky on cam setting, and aiders really get you up a long way.

Switched to Bullman Steps, even lighter, have to remember to alternate step placement, but you can get around a tree easily, no aiders, watch side loading. But I could carry 6 per mag pouch, and if I thought I needed more I still have a set of bags that have 9 each on a shoulder loop. That got me knee high per step very comfortably at around 0.5# per step.

Tried 1 stick, felt I was shuffling back and forth a lot, but it was easy and has no limit on how high you go, easy to maneuver around the tree. Was carrying 2 Tether/Lineman's, and aider, and a short Hawk stick.

Switching this year to 2TC, I will probably carry 3 Tether/Lineman's while doing it to help getting over branches faster but can do it with 2 easily. My wife is using a leg band, I am still not certain it helps me. And we have to bring a 4 ounce foot loop with us. This is also quick to maneuver around the tree and has no height restrictions. I find this less technical than 1 stick and don't feel like I am moving as much in the tree as I am just going up and never reaching under myself to retrieve the stick.

Oh, almost forgot, I tried SRT/DRT a couple of dozen times. I hated throwing the bag up the tree, it was easy enough to do, I just felt it was too much motion in the woods that the deer might see. Tried leaving a preset on a tree, went back the next day and was thinking that presetting really is not practical for me better than 75% of the time. So, I stopped trying it for 1 stick. Then saw 2TC on here and my wife seems more comfortable with it.

Now, getting down with rope technique, 1 stick, or 2 tether climbing is best to just rappel, get a device that allows hands free stopping on the descent rope so you can pull your gear from the tree when done with the hunt.

Next, are you planning on a platform, ring of steps, or something else?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
I’m looking to use a platform along with the one stick.

I myself don't really see a big difference between using multiple sticks or one sticking when it comes to the climb. It's just as easy to have yourself supported by your tether and hang a stick, just as it is to to climb a stick and set another. For me it was all about working out the mechanics involved.
Which didn't take a long time to figure out. Either way you still have to climb. I tend to over think things and make it more difficult then it has to be. The best way I think to decide if one sticking is something you want to do, Is to first figure out how you want your stick to be attached to the tree. Are you using a cam cleat, a rope mod or strap. The cleat and the rope mod is better in my opinion because, when you step off your stick then you are above your stick and getting the rope loose is much easier for me. If using a strap then that's a little different. You have to be able to push the release on the strap buckle which is harder to do from above the strap. So, position yourself lower when stepping off the stick so you can release the strap. The only difference is this way you advance might suffer by one foot per move. Experiment to see which works best for you. It is true that just climbing and hanging multiple sticks is very easy to do. So , it's really a matter of what do you really want to carry? one stick or three or four sticks. Even then there are some options. Smaller sticks with aiders or better yet, really small sticks with one removable aider. Take a look at Sean's Outdoor Adventures on youtube. He has a lot of great info. I'll post a link in this post. If you use multiple, really small sticks and a removable aider then There is no need to rappel down. I haven't tried rappelling down yet. I still one stick up and down. And it does take me longer to get down then it does to get up. But that's because I don't have a long enough rope or a rappel device yet. As far as two tether climbing, I can't speak on that. I like the concept and I have tried it once and only once in my back yard. At which point it felt very foreign to me. And I'm sure it was all my fault in the way I was trying to do it. But Honestly in the end it's all about personal preference and what you feel comfortable doing. Things to consider are what's important to you. Is it weight or bulk of gear you need to carry? For me, I hunt only public land and sometimes have to hike miles to get to where I hunt. So, going in as light as possible is a must. Because if I'm lucky I'll packing out more then I went in with so I don't need the extra encumbrance of multiple bulky sticks. But you'll see what I mean about tiny sticks when you watch Sean's video. I would also suggest taking the time in the off season and practice climbing several different ways as well as setting up in your saddle. My wife laughs at me and the neighbors must think I'm crazy because every weekend there I am climbing a tree or hanging from one. But anyway, here's the video I was talking about. Watch it and see if it gives you another prospective on climbing methods. And best of luck on your new found hunting adventure. I'm sure either way you choose to get in the tree, you'll love hunting from a saddle.

Last edited:
I like Sean’s small stick method. I’ve watched it several times. I was concerned about slipping off of the top of that stick. Anyone else done it?

I like Sean’s small stick method. I’ve watched it several times. I was concerned about slipping off of the top of that stick. Anyone else done it?

No I haven't done it yet. I'm going to make me a set of 4 sticks this weekend. I did talk to him about the sticks a few months ago and I was worried about them kicking out. He said that his style isn't made for side pressure but works just fine with downward pressure. I'm going to change the design a little bit. I'm making mine like a T shape and instead of having just one stand off I'm going to have two. My sticks will be about 8 inches long and my step aider will hang from the front not the top.If you want I will post pics after I get them done.

No I haven't done it yet. I'm going to make me a set of 4 sticks this weekend. I did talk to him about the sticks a few months ago and I was worried about them kicking out. He said that his style isn't made for side pressure but works just fine with downward pressure. I'm going to change the design a little bit. I'm making mine like a T shape and instead of having just one stand off I'm going to have two. My sticks will be about 8 inches long and my step aider will hang from the front not the top.If you want I will post pics after I get them done.

Thanks for the reply... I was thinking of a 8” stick, with a EWO stand off and double step on the bottom and a Versa button 2” or so from the top.
Essentially an upside down T.
Perhaps even with the bolt for the button extending in towards the tree an inch or so for some extra grab on the tree...
Thoughts...

Thanks for the reply... I was thinking of a 8” stick, with a EWO stand off and double step on the bottom and a Versa button 2” or so from the top.
Essentially an upside down T.
Perhaps even with the bolt for the button extending in towards the tree an inch or so for some extra grab on the tree...
Thoughts...

From what I can see, those stand offs are about 3 1/2 inches deep so I don't feel a need for the long versa button bolt going to the tree. The stand offs are plenty strong enough. The Idea of an upside down T is fine and is basically a single step just like my idea. which should work with a step aider of your choice. Or another option would be to forgo the single double step on the bottom and just use the scout platform, that way you could use your last step as a platform as well. My whole thought process was just to have 3 small sticks with a removable aider so I could climb up and down. Its easy for me to fabricate some since I have the square tubing at my job and a welder. I will also be making my own predator style platform as well. I'd say put your thoughts into action and see if you have something viable that will work for you. Just remember that with only one stand off, your chances for kick out due to any side pressure is greater. As well as when your sticks are shorter. I would also suggest using a strap and buckle to secure it to the tree over a standard rope mod or cam cleat.

I respect every hunter and every hunters way of hunting.

With that said, I don't understand the whole one stick hunting. Hands down you are gonna sweat more. No matter what anyone says, you will make more noise. Besides maybe a little lighter load, I don't get it.

You just gotta try both and see what suits you. It's a subjective personal choice. I'd say for me the biggest distinction is one sticking is a tad fiddlier on easy trees and a major PIA on tough ones with a lot of limbs. It takes more practice to master. To me it's a good technique to know to gain height or go ultralight on select hunts, but most of the time I think it's worth it to carry the two extra sticks and keep the climb nice and chill.

Welcome to the addiction josh!
You’ll have to decide, but I’ll go ahead and tell youwhen you decide you still haven’t made up your mind. What I mean is, there are so many ways to get up the tree, it’s pretty much impossible to forgo all others and go with just one method. No matter your climbing method, rappel down!
When I first started last year, I knew I’d rappel down, but was lost trying to figure out how to get up the tree. With a set of helium sticks for $99 to my door, I started there. My sticks came with the loop sewn straps, so it’s better than the cam buckles.
Too much to carry, too much to mess with at the tree base…..let’s one stick. Got a short helium with mini platform, then a full size platform, then an aider, cam cleats, amsteel……mucho amsteel! Ratchet strap for platform, then the OCB for platform. Then a ROS(monkey bars). Now a few steps on my platform strap and don’t see changing that.
While I’ve been through some processes and basically one stick. I’m working towards the SRT method too……no, it never ends!
Have fun, and be safe. Hang from your saddle at low levels and try to fall out of it……I had no climbing experience with ropes etc so hanging from a saddle was completely new to me. Get comfortable in it, it won’t take long at all!

So, I'm an absolute newbie at this game, so that's a grain of salt... but from what I see, it's about a balance of different factors, and having multiple tools and techniques available for different situations. Personally, I can't stand carrying sticks and stands through the woods, they're bulky and noisy and catch on everything. I did one season with a climber, and if I had known about saddles I would never have spent my money on it. I'll hang lock-ons and sticks before season but won't take them off the tree until my season is over.

I don't mind a little extra fiddling at the tree if I can get to the tree easier and quieter. That said... no matter how I get up a tree, I'll want to pre-set a loop so I can SRT back into it.

So, I'm an absolute newbie at this game, so that's a grain of salt... but from what I see, it's about a balance of different factors, and having multiple tools and techniques available for different situations. Personally, I can't stand carrying sticks and stands through the woods, they're bulky and noisy and catch on everything. I did one season with a climber, and if I had known about saddles I would never have spent my money on it. I'll hang lock-ons and sticks before season but won't take them off the tree until my season is over.

I don't mind a little extra fiddling at the tree if I can get to the tree easier and quieter. That said... no matter how I get up a tree, I'll want to pre-set a loop so I can SRT back into it.
You know, you can use the base of that climber to get up the tree, if you want. I wish I had a base to try.

I’ve got a one stick setup.. and 3 sticks with aiders. One sticking is great IF you have a lot of straight trees or somewhat straight. I hunt a lot of river bottoms and the tree selection is very random. I’ll be selling my one stick and keeping my EWO ultralights. Just as fast and easy plus the weight with a ROS is very close anyways.

I’ve got a one stick setup.. and 3 sticks with aiders. One sticking is great IF you have a lot of straight trees or somewhat straight. I hunt a lot of river bottoms and the tree selection is very random. I’ll be selling my one stick and keeping my EWO ultralights. Just as fast and easy plus the weight with a ROS is very close anyways.
That’s why I’m trying to figure out how to SRT…..I know of some big ole trees I’d like to sit in, but I’d never get my single stick on them.

That’s why I’m trying to figure out how to SRT…..I know of some big ole trees I’d like to sit in, but I’d never get my single stick on them.
I went out to the river bottoms and was scouting.. took the one stick with me and felt like if I were to use the one stick to get in some good spots.. it would be an absolute nightmare. It was more like hunt the tree instead of deer. Also, I don’t see how it saves much weight over a premium set of sticks and ROS

Back