• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

To peep or not to peep

lawrence

SH Member
Anyone have any experience with the no peep, hind sight, IQ bow sight or any of the other DEVICE or METHOD that allows you not to use a peep? Any suggestions on doing that? What was your experience?
This would be for hunting use.
Thanks again

I tried a no peep a while back. Not my thing. Was able to make it work it just didn't seem worth it at all. Seemed like it was just another thing to have to double check in the moment of truth.

I shot no peep for years and it worked great, then I got a new bow and had a peep tied in and that worked too. Can't say I'm more accurate or consistent one way or another. I may end up getting a new string before next season, if I do I think I'll skip the peep. I hunt short range so I don't think it should change much. If it does I'll put it back on.

No peep for me. The marginal increase in accuracy ain't worth the string wear, hassle of setup, low light issues, and "fiddle factor."

Peeps are terrible, as are their alternatives. I can sling slugs out to 50 yards just fine with nothing but a front bead. I can sling arrows just fine out to 30 or 40. No need to complicated things any worse than they already are on a bow.

To go no peep all you need is a rock solid anchor point. That's truly what a peep is doing, giving you another check point that the anchor is consistently in the same spot. The Bowmar Nose button might be a great option to go no peep. It doesn't slow the string down and should not wear on your string while helping to maintain a rock solid anchor.

Tried a hind sight and did really like it but had a little difficulty changing how i anchored to look beside the string. If I put it on again I would put a big string spliter or some sort in to look through the string or extra large peep

No peep for me. The marginal increase in accuracy ain't worth the string wear, hassle of setup, low light issues, and "fiddle factor."

Peeps are terrible, as are their alternatives. I can sling slugs out to 50 yards just fine with nothing but a front bead. I can sling arrows just fine out to 30 or 40. No need to complicated things any worse than they already are on a bow.
So do you think we a kisser button?

I have used nopeep for a very long time and love it. I started with a peep and could not get it to line up right and missed a nice deer in low light conditions and I was through with a peep. Never looked back and probably won't. Don't even think about it now.

Couple years ago my peep sight got twisted around during a hunt (either climbing the tree or walking through brush), didn’t have time to get to the archery shop anytime soon so took it out and never went back. As mentioned you lose a little accuracy, but the benefits far outweigh that, primarily for me the advantage of shooting in low light.

A single pin adjustable sight with no peep is a hard to beat combination for whitetail deer hunting.

If you are gonna limit your shot range No problem with no peep.If you shoot much beyond 30 I think you should use one.For hunting use a large housing and a large peep to help with lower light conditions.I hunted without one for years and it worked fine but I prefer a peep.Just cant make myself not anchor to the center of my nose.Too many arrows and too ingrained in me to try to change.

Ive shot no peep for most of my life now... ditched it after I had solid anchor points. I only use a kisser button and know my nose placement on the string. If youre already using a kisser and peep it should be an easy transition... if not, Ive heard a lot of good things about the bomar nose button, but havent used it personally. I really like how it opens up your viewing angle and the increased low light capabilities. Like anything else just practice and youll figure it out.

Tried IQ sight. It worked fine but after a few sessions at the range, realized it wasn’t for me. Just another “thing to focus on” and in high light conditions, retina lock was almost blinding to me. Not knocking sight, just decided to go with something different.

Used the hindsight for couple years. It works. Went back to a peep. Was always worried I would mess up in the heat of the moment. You center your top pin in the hindsight no matter what pin you are using to aim. A lot to remember at the moment of truth.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My low light vision is awful so I am going to try the EZV this summer to see if it helps. Anyone tried using one without a peep? I am curious if I can have a solid enough anchor point without the peep to shoot consistently.

I have never had string wear using a peep on my bows and I worked on hundreds of bow when I work at a archery shop and not once did anyone come in with wear to their bowstring do to a peep.

I currently have a peep but when I put on new string was gonna try without. My peep likes to rotate and I gotta pay attention to that.

Been shooting peepless with my GearHead using the Bowmar nose button and I love it so far. I haven’t seen any decrease in accuracy at 50 yards (farthest I’ve tried so far). I’ve had a pee cost me two of the biggest bucks I’ve ever seen two years in a row now because I just didn’t have enough light even tho I could see the deer pretty well with just my eyes. Hoping that the peepless setup will give me a couple extra minutes of light and sometimes that’s all you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been shooting peepless with my GearHead using the Bowmar nose button and I love it so far. I haven’t seen any decrease in accuracy at 50 yards (farthest I’ve tried so far). I’ve had a pee cost me two of the biggest bucks I’ve ever seen two years in a row now because I just didn’t have enough light even tho I could see the deer pretty well with just my eyes. Hoping that the peepless setup will give me a couple extra minutes of light and sometimes that’s all you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is good to hear. I have never liked peeps for just the reasons you described so I only used one a very short time. Compound that now with my aging eyes and the peep is a no-go. I put a Bowmar nose button on my bow last week after a string change. Haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet but I have high hopes. Glad to hear its working for you.

I have used a no-peep for twenty years. My first two were the Timberlines. I think they innovated the idea. Loved them because of issues I had in low light. I went with another model, can't remember the name of it. It was larger in size though. I found it to be obstructive. So after this last hunting season I threw on the largest peep sight I could find. Well, I hate to admit it but my accuracy went way up. At twenty yards it does not matter much but now I am able to comfortably shoot at 50 yards without any issues. The 5/16 peep is so big that I have no issues in low light. The other thing I found using a peep is my eyes can track the arrow because the eyeball is lined up with the shaft. Without a peep you are always off to the side a bit. The accuracy at distance is very different between the two, at least for me. This is very hard for me to admit because I was a die hard no peep guy.

As for line twist. Strings are so good today. Plus, if you use a D-loop then it really should never be a problem. You just line up the loop with the peep. That 1/8 turn will not impact arrow flight.

Using a BIG peep is key. Heck I'm 53 and use tri-focals. If I can see through it, anyone can :)

Back