• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

To sling or not to sling

brock6212

Finally got my sewing machine! I’ve got materials together to build a saddle, and I was originally gonna go with the crüzr style. I was going to build in a pleat or use a 2-way stretch material.

But now my curiosity has got the best of me. I’m thinking about going with the latitude method style of sling saddle. I really like the way the linemen loops work on their saddles, and I also like how there’s no D-ring.

I’ve followed some of the other builds, is it absolutely necessary to have 6,000lbs webbing for linemen loops? I know polyester is the preferred material, but I’ve also seen some using nylon webbing. Any insight here?

FYI, anything is an upgrade to my current system of using my RCH.

I would suggest practicing sewing on webbing with your sewing machine if you have not done a lot of sewing before. A climbing standard seems to be a minimum of 10 times breaking strength to working load. I like to go higher.

I would suggest practicing sewing on webbing with your sewing machine if you have not done a lot of sewing before. A climbing standard seems to be a minimum of 10 times breaking strength to working load. I like to go higher.

I’ve sewed some stuff before. Never on this machine, but I’ve made some of my own backpacking gear with x-pac. Obviously this is more technical and the stakes are higher.

Good info on the webbing though. Thanks!

Finally got my sewing machine! I’ve got materials together to build a saddle, and I was originally gonna go with the crüzr style. I was going to build in a pleat or use a 2-way stretch material.

But now my curiosity has got the best of me. I’m thinking about going with the latitude method style of sling saddle. I really like the way the linemen loops work on their saddles, and I also like how there’s no D-ring.

I’ve followed some of the other builds, is it absolutely necessary to have 6,000lbs webbing for linemen loops? I know polyester is the preferred material, but I’ve also seen some using nylon webbing. Any insight here?

FYI, anything is an upgrade to my current system of using my RCH.
Ultimately the decision is up to you and what you are comfortable with, but I, personally, have built multiple saddles using 1” tubular webbing on my lineman’s loops that is rated for “only” 4000lbs.

I can tell you that the lineman’s loops on my aero hunter kestrel appear to be the same stuff. I make no guarantees or promises about that, just what it looks like to my eye.

Again, the risk/reward decision is up to you. Do more research if you need to instead of trusting some guy on the internet!

Also, as far as the sewing goes - have you researched different threads, stitch lengths and patterns to ensure you’re building something as strong as you think? Lots of info and resources on the site about this.

Ultimately the decision is up to you and what you are comfortable with, but I, personally, have built multiple saddles using 1” tubular webbing on my lineman’s loops that is rated for “only” 4000lbs.

I can tell you that the lineman’s loops on my aero hunter kestrel appear to be the same stuff. I make no guarantees or promises about that, just what it looks like to my eye.

Again, the risk/reward decision is up to you. Do more research if you need to instead of trusting some guy on the internet!

Also, as far as the sewing goes - have you researched different threads, stitch lengths and patterns to ensure you’re building something as strong as you think? Lots of info and resources on the site about this.
Yes, I’ve been looking into it. Right now I’m gonna see if I can get a good stitch with Gutermann Mara 40. If I can’t I’ve also got some 80. I‘m apprehensive towards nylon, but I know some have had good results with it.

Yes, I’ve been looking into it. Right now I’m gonna see if I can get a good stitch with Gutermann Mara 40. If I can’t I’ve also got some 80. I‘m apprehensive towards nylon, but I know some have had good results with it.
I think the Mara 40 is V69 thread or as sold at Joann's, Gutterman upholstery thread. I wouldn't go below that size for life support. The commercial saddles I have seen are sewed with much heavier thread.

Real question, I know tera is less abrasive, but would a nylon thread be better? I know polyester is better against uv damage, but am I better off using bonded nylon?

And regardless I plan to triple stitch everything structural.

After skimming back through the sewing sticky I’m fairly certain I’m going with the Tera 40. Is triple stitching necessary?

After skimming back through the sewing sticky I’m fairly certain I’m going with the Tera 40. Is triple stitching necessary?
Depends on what part of the saddle you are talking about. The webbing connections that will support you in the event of a fall should be stitched way more than 3 times. Your molle loops which only have to hold gear, don’t need so much. For instance, the main loop of your saddle that will be made with 2” 6000lb webbing needs a lot of stitches in the right pattern in order to stay in one piece in the event of a fall. Make sure you do the important bits right.

I encourage you to look at the stitch pattern resources on the site - many mention the book “On Rope” for how to sew webbing together with strength.

Sorry if it seems like I’m being obtuse but not only can I not decide what is safe for you, but I also don’t want to say “do exactly this” like it’s gospel and then have you or someone else get hurt!

Depends on what part of the saddle you are talking about. The webbing connections that will support you in the event of a fall should be stitched way more than 3 times. Your molle loops which only have to hold gear, don’t need so much. For instance, the main loop of your saddle that will be made with 2” 6000lb webbing needs a lot of stitches in the right pattern in order to stay in one piece in the event of a fall. Make sure you do the important bits right.

I encourage you to look at the stitch pattern resources on the site - many mention the book “On Rope” for how to sew webbing together with strength.

Sorry if it seems like I’m being obtuse but not only can I not decide what is safe for you, but I also don’t want to say “do exactly this” like it’s gospel and then have you or someone else get hurt!
That’s fair. Trust me, I’m dissecting this info wholeheartedly. I’ve been looking through the webbing stitches, and how to figure the box stitches, etc.

Shout out to drew13.
I got an early start tonight. Here we are. Tension on the new machine was looking good on the box stitches, but was off when I went to sew the bridge loops.

I’m really doing a latitude knockoff, but instead of mesh, I’m gonna put some 4-way stretch First Lite material. The main sling is khaki, while the molle/lineman loops are coyote. I kinda like the subtle difference, plus it looks BA with the cipher Camo.

If the 4-way stretch is too much I’m going to come back and put the typical vertical webbing supports. I’m curious though-wondering if the stretch will be the cats ass. Anyways, here’s a shot of the progress, and some cipher next to it to give you all an idea.

Since all the hip kids name their saddles, let’s call this the longitude chaos.

Attachments

• 00F27F94-A059-4F8F-BB9F-E7211ADF5F17.jpeg
    00F27F94-A059-4F8F-BB9F-E7211ADF5F17.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 301B891D-0EDB-45F7-AA40-8D53D54E1BF5.jpeg
    301B891D-0EDB-45F7-AA40-8D53D54E1BF5.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 95
  • A8FBC6CB-4A8C-4714-92D2-0E256655703E.jpeg
    A8FBC6CB-4A8C-4714-92D2-0E256655703E.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 99
  • B2E8BA2F-416E-4A08-ACEA-F6024D2810C4.jpeg
    B2E8BA2F-416E-4A08-ACEA-F6024D2810C4.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 94
You should watch this video and count stitches and add up the breaking strength of your joints.

You should watch this video and count stitches and add up the breaking strength of your joints.
Already have. Thanks

I also did a test loop and hitched it up to my suburban and broke it loose while in park. Not scientific, but effective.

For some that like more scientific malarkey, according to the equation in the video and my thread strength and number of stitches/inch. Said I needed 26.5”. I’ve got roughly 66, not counting the perpendicular stitches on the end, which don’t do a lot as far as strength goes anyways in comparison to the diagonal and parallel stitches.

Last edited:
Progress for the day. Leg straps attached. Molle webbing started, one continuous loop to create the linemen loops. I robbed one from the infamous always89y-I inserted two zip ties to give it some shape.

I might go back and change the legs straps and make them removable. Might be something I keep til I’m done and maybe run a few times as is.

Anywho. I’ve got Thursday and Friday off, and the sacrificial first lite material should be delivered tomorrow. Until next time, stay classy saddle hunters.

Attachments

• 701E3563-F91F-46EC-B77A-CA0DFA3CEC39.jpeg
    701E3563-F91F-46EC-B77A-CA0DFA3CEC39.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 2F09B8FC-61F4-4513-A150-5DC9D1C50EF4.jpeg
    2F09B8FC-61F4-4513-A150-5DC9D1C50EF4.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 64
Anybody want to weigh in on the 4 way stretch idea? Is it going to take away from what a sling saddle is good at? I really don’t know, that’s why I’m asking. After searching through just about every sling saddle build, or even commercial ones, they all have the vertical supports, which would negate any benefit from stretch material, yes?

To clarify, I miscalculated my seam strength. I originally did the calculations based on a 14 lbs. breaking strength, but double-checked, and it's actually 8.3 lbs. That puts my box stitches on the 2" webbing rated at a little more than 1.5 times stronger than the webbing. Still satisfactory in my book. Based on the 1" webbing for the lineman loops I should be at 38.5". I'm currently at 31, so I'll probably go back and double up on the zig zags there. It's probably overkill considering all the molle stitches that would have to break first, but I'd prefer it to be over engineered.

Thank god for cheap craft paper. I've probably gone back and forth on the panel patterns 5-6 times. I've finally got templates made. Hopefully tomorrow night or Friday morning I can get those done. I'm hoping to have this thing wrapped up in time for the weekend. Might get a sit in and be able to give a more thorough review.

Templates

Attachments

• 40CAB876-4CA6-492A-9F5B-B9A4430242F0.jpeg
    40CAB876-4CA6-492A-9F5B-B9A4430242F0.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 591B3F46-0EF4-4DA8-A376-314C2B6E4E94.jpeg
    591B3F46-0EF4-4DA8-A376-314C2B6E4E94.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 35
Back