• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

To those who use Shikar Sticks

stone1

I just picked some up the classifieds and tested them out today;

Two things I noticed off the bat.

-These things flex like Twizzlers when you're on the top step and one foot is on the stick IE: stepping onto/ off the step.

-The shikars smell like the strongest grease known to man.

I assume the scent will die down over time but the flex is pretty substantial. I'm only 200lbs. I tighten the knob down by hand then rotate the standoff to level to increase torque like recommended.

Is this something other Shikar users have noticed? If so have you encountered any issues with these problems over time?

The 22” flex, didn’t see much flex with the 17”.

the oil is quite strong. Smells like hydraulic fluid

The 22” flex, didn’t see much flex with the 17”.

the oil is quite strong. Smells like hydraulic fluid

I have the 17". I tested them out in a climb and the flex didn't seem as apparent. It was more noticeable at ground level when I was alternating feet when testing the sticks. Are you still using them?

I have the 17". I tested them out in a climb and the flex didn't seem as apparent. It was more noticeable at ground level when I was alternating feet when testing the sticks. Are you still using them?

No I sold mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just picked some up the classifieds and tested them out today;

Two things I noticed off the bat.

-These things flex like Twizzlers when you're on the top step and one foot is on the stick IE: stepping onto/ off the step.

-The shikars smell like the strongest grease known to man.

I assume the scent will die down over time but the flex is pretty substantial. I'm only 200lbs. I tighten the knob down by hand then rotate the standoff to level to increase torque like recommended.

Is this something other Shikar users have noticed? If so have you encountered any issues with these problems over time?
Oh Boy! Not tested enough before they hit the market. Smell eliminates them immediately, period!

No I sold mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did you end up with? My backups are xop minis. I've tried the novix but they're just so tight to the tree, need more foot room.

The XOP would be perfect if they were lighter. The LWCG compacts would be really nice but they're impossible to get. I think I'm going to ride out the shikars. I'll be able to make them work.

The flex annoyed me. I wasn't concerned about safety or longevity, just the feeling of the step wiggling when both feet were on it made the stick feel cheap. I like my stick to feel like a rock. Part of the tree. I'm not using mine and will likely sell them because of the fiddle factor. They're annoying to setup in my front yard testing different aiders in 80 degree weather. Imagine how fun they'll be with freezing fingers when it's 15 out

I have the minis. I like them but I’m a lightweight. Can always sell them and barely take a loss. Eastern woods outdoors sticks are the bomb. Check them out.

I have the minis. I like them but I’m a lightweight. Can always sell them and barely take a loss. Eastern woods outdoors sticks are the bomb. Check them out.
Have both as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Alright.. So I was stacking the sticks and realized one wasnt sitting flush. Took a 4-foot level to it and the stick is bent. That's not good.

I bought the Shikars from @enkriss. Yes I do feel a little wiggle, especially on the top step, but it doesn't bother me now, not like it did the first time I tried them. Part of the issue is everyone wants lighter, more compact. The shikars fit the bill, but the posts have less material.

Just got off the phone with Matt from Shikar. He said he's had a couple of big fellas bend sticks when using a Scout on the top of the stick. He said it's meant to be exactly that, just scout. Not all day sit. He said it puts torque on the stick and can cause it to bend. Said send it in and he'll send me a new.

Don't fart in the stand then. Also, how long can you hold your breath for?
I love to see people defend sub par products just because they bought one. I could give two craps whether they smell or not, which still defies logic at any level by the way.
They twist, and that's ok with you then? Good luck...

I love to see people defend sub par products just because they bought one. I could give two craps whether they smell or not, which still defies logic at any level by the way.

There definitely is a big difference between an industrial smell and a fart. I'm not sure what goes on in peoples brains to justify an imperfection with an absurdity.

Deer **** all the time-- Gasoline, Grease, Oil..etc. would only remind a deer of humans.

There definitely is a big difference between an industrial smell and a fart. I'm not sure what goes on in peoples brains to justify an imperfection with an absurdity.

Deer **** all the time-- Gasoline, Grease, Oil..etc. would only remind a deer of humans.
Keep telling yourselves that. By the way, every stick flexes. Thanks for playing.

Your response was that the smell eliminated them immediately for you. The smell. I simply pointed out the obvious, that the smell of your coffee breath, or how your insides processed last nights dinner, will be as much as, if not more detrimental (albeit sarcastically). If you boys gun hunt, how do you clean your firearms, by giving them a stern talking to? How's about you bow, how do you lubricate that? Hate to break it to you, but the deer smell those too, even if you don't.

Back