• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Toe gaffs

Pilk64

I am new to saddle hunting. I want to use spurs as my means of climbing the tree. I saw an old video of Guy German using "toe gaffs". The toe gaffs are supposed to take a lot of load off the knees where traditional gaffs place more load on the knees...I cannot find any information at all where to find such a thing as a toe gaff...does anyone out there have a clue?

Thanks
Jimmi

I have a friend who competes on the professional lumberjack circuit. His name is Dave Jewett, contact him @davidjewett.com he may be able to hook you up.with some info. Tell him Kurt from CCFL sent you. He may just hang up you when he hears my name,lol.

Thanks Kurt...will do!...hahahaha I will let ya know what his reaction is!

Hey Kurt...is that CCFL or FLCC?
Well when Dave and I attended it was CCFL. We were teammates on the college team there. That's where I learned to use spikes. Now a days the institution goes by FLCC. But you tell Dave CCFL he'll know what your talking about

I would highly advise NOT googling "toe gaffs"....***. My eyes will not unsee what they've seen.
Lots of high level technique required for sure. Goes along with a high risk level. Not where I'd be looking for a safe hunting climbing method.

Hey Kurt...thanks for the info...I emailed him at his roadrunner account...I was surprised hes a local guy...my kids went to flcc also...small world...I will let you know his response

Hey Kurt...thanks for the info...I emailed him at his roadrunner account...I was surprised hes a local guy...my kids went to flcc also...small world...I will let you know his response
What a great school. Good luck. Be safe. For sure say hi for me.

Lots of high level technique required for sure. Goes along with a high risk level. Not where I'd be looking for a safe hunting climbing method.
So you wouldnt advise using toe gaffs or just spikes in general for a safe climb?

I have a friend who competes on the professional lumberjack circuit. His name is Dave Jewett, contact him @davidjewett.com he may be able to hook you up.with some info. Tell him Kurt from CCFL sent you. He may just hang up you when he hears my name,lol.
Received a coue corresponding emails from dave...he hasnt a clue where to find them but he did tell me to say hey to Kurt when I spoke to you again...thanks for the help Kurt...I will keep mt search going...I am going to try to find contact info for the famous Guy German himself...maybe I can even buy a pair he used himself...lol...now I may be rraching for pie in the sky instead of a saddle in the sky

Back