• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Top 5 best/worst gear purchases

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
It's no secret that saddle hunters love gear. We buy it all. The good and the bad. What are your top 5 best and worst gear purchases and why. This is intended to help those who are new and trying to figure out what may or may not work for them while they decide where to put their hard earned money. Here are mine:

Best:

Tethrd Mantis - easy to mod, super light, comfortable, simple, and not a problem to wear while walking. In stock form it's almost perfect.

SRT climbing system - easy to climb, easy to descend, lightweight, packable, can be multi functional and it's very safe assuming you routinely check your gear.

Kifaru pack - built to last, easy to mod, functional, lots of options for saddle hunters.

Bolts (treehopper and carbon) - can be used as a climbing system, gear hanger and a ring of steps. Easy to pack and to use. Multi functional.

Muck pursuit shadow boots - best hunting boots ive ever owned. Get the benefits of wearing rubber boots but can walk all day in them. Somewhat low profile rubber/neoprene boots that can be worn in warm weather and laced up for long walks.

Worst:

Climbing spurs - easy to use but hard for me to trust. Just couldn't get it down and be comfortable while using them. Stepping on and off platform was weird for me and constantly felt like I was about to gaff out. Kind of odd to pack in as well depending on your pack and how you prefer to carry your kit.

Cheap backpacks - went through a ton of them and could've bought multiple high end packs with the money I spent over the years. My advice is buy once cry once.

Mechanical broadheads - unpredictable arrow flight in my experience. When it's showtime I'll take a fixed broadhead anyday. Keeping it simple here.

Climbing sticks - went through a bunch of different sets of these over the years and never liked the fiddle factor of 4 clanking sticks equals 4 clanking strap buckles while trying to be in ninja mode. Trying to make one trip up the tree with 3 sticks dangling from me like a wind chime didn't make sense to me. I think I'd use spurs before I went back to multiple sticks.

Pull ropes - also bought a lot of these over the years and made some from 550 cord. Again the fiddle factor of untangling 550 cord or most conventional pull ropes can be frustrating and cost you a lot of time. Nowadays I like to strap everything to my pack and it climbs up with me. Second to that would definitely be a Doyle's gear hoist. Third, use the tag end of my SRT line if that's the climbing method of the day.

List could change upon the arrival of my wild edge steps/perch. It's the only climbing method and platform I haven't tried. And yes I have more gear I could mention under both categories but let's keep it simple at 5. Don't need to go too deep on all the stuff Ive wasted money on over the years lol.

Best....

Merino wool base layer
-Having a good base layer makes a huge difference on a cold MN morning

Decent Binoculars
-I have some nikon binoculars that my old man got me for Christmas one year. Real nice to be able to scout ahead of me with them things.

Dano Squirrel Steps ring of steps
-I just picked these up and dont have any hunting experience on them, so my opinion doesn't hold much weight here, but as far as packability they are second to none. They are also pretty easy and quiet to set up. Little bit of fiddle factor, but I think its worth it in the bulk/weight savings vs. a platform or any other ROS out there.

Ropeman1
-That little piece of gear is essential for me. Makes adjusting tether 10x easier.

OnX Maps
-Don't think I would hunt 90% of the public land spots I hunt without. Makes E-scouting way easier.

Worst...

Velcro wrist strap release
-Bringing anything velcro into the deer woods is a bad idea. Wonder how many deer I spooked with that thing back in the day.

Cheap grunt call
-Thing sounds like a childs party toy. Dont even bother with it. Need to find me a good one for next year.

Pull up rope
-Like you stated, its a joke messing with that tangled mess in the dark.

Scent control anything
-I feel the money is better spent elsewhere. Only scent conrol I do is play the wind. You should play the wind weather you use scent control or not.

Muddy Pro Sticks
-Im a bigger guy 6'1" 215lbs. and I never could get to the point where I felt comfortable using those things. Had one break on me. Luckily I was practicing in the yard. I know some guys use them and love them and swear by them, but they aint for me.

Best....

Merino wool base layer
-Having a good base layer makes a huge difference on a cold MN morning

Decent Binoculars
-I have some nikon binoculars that my old man got me for Christmas one year. Real nice to be able to scout ahead of me with them things.

Dano Squirrel Steps ring of steps
-I just picked these up and dont have any hunting experience on them, so my opinion doesn't hold much weight here, but as far as packability they are second to none. They are also pretty easy and quiet to set up. Little bit of fiddle factor, but I think its worth it in the bulk/weight savings vs. a platform or any other ROS out there.

Ropeman1
-That little piece of gear is essential for me. Makes adjusting tether 10x easier.

OnX Maps
-Don't think I would hunt 90% of the public land spots I hunt without. Makes E-scouting way easier.

Worst...

Velcro wrist strap release
-Bringing anything velcro into the deer woods is a bad idea. Wonder how many deer I spooked with that thing back in the day.

Cheap grunt call
-Thing sounds like a childs party toy. Dont even bother with it. Need to find me a good one for next year.

Pull up rope
-Like you stated, its a joke messing with that tangled mess in the dark.

Scent control anything
-I feel the money is better spent elsewhere. Only scent conrol I do is play the wind. You should play the wind weather you use scent control or not.

Muddy Pro Sticks
-Im a bigger guy 6'1" 215lbs. and I never could get to the point where I felt comfortable using those things. Had one break on me. Luckily I was practicing in the yard. I know some guys use them and love them and swear by them, but they aint for me.

OnX maps is a good one

Yes, with mods and practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best..
1. Thermacell, I hunt in swamps quite a bit

2. Tree saddle, whether it be my DIY fleece, guidos web, and I will even include my kite even though I have not hunted out of it yet tree saddles allowed me to be so much more mobile and stealthy last year.

3. Climbing spurs

4. Scent control gear, scent lok clothing scent ozone crusher bag, guess that could be like 10-20 items by its self but who's counting

5. Muddy pro sticks when I cant use spurs, seems like on this site you either love em or hate em, I love mine.

Worst
1. Sport climbers, although the pads work awesome on my buckinghams

2. Hawk speed retract bow pull up rope, donno if they are all like this but it was noisy and the thin flat webbing actually twisted as I was reeling it in and it got stuck

3. Primal steps in stock form, I have since modified but that cam buckle is horrible might of been doing something wrong but they suck for me

4. Redhead 200gram rubber boots, so uncomfortable and even with merino socks my feet smelled like cat piss by the end of a hunt

5. Every mobile tree stand I ever bought before I found out about saddle hunting.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Worst:
Pull ropes - also bought a lot of these over the years and made some from 550 cord. Again the fiddle factor of untangling 550 cord or most conventional pull ropes can be frustrating and cost you a lot of time.

Good tip on rolling up 550 cord. It is a whole video on a paracord ridgeline that is great in itself but the storage and deployment part will have you pulling out some cord tonight and trying it out. It really works.

I’ll take a picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BEST

Thermacell- No discussion needed.

Kestrel- Gamechanger AND the most comfortable thing I've ever hunted out of, ladder stands and condos included.

@DanO's double steps- Big feet, what can I say, they're manna from God (the double steps, not the big feet).

Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter- Probably the single most overlooked piece of gear by hunters. I mean, who doesn't like having safe water to drink when you run out?

WORST

Muddy Tree Arm- Heavy, bulky, disgusting POS.

Ropeman1 and 2- Had a 2 and hated it. Then got 2 brand new 1’s as part of a package buy and never used them. A prussic with tender is far superior to me.

I'll come back to this and fill in the blanks as I think more about it.

Last edited:
Best:
Sit drag. It’s not my favorite saddle by far but I wouldn’t have shelled out the cash to buy a purpose built saddle if not for trying the sit drag first.
Ameristeps. I struggled with trying a strap on ring of steps. I think the biggest hurdle was paying 20-25 bucks a step after seeing them on the bottom shelf of the clearance shelf for several years and not knowing I would have a use for them. As soon as DanO came out with the squirrel steps the price dropped on the ameristeps just enough to give them a try. I should have bought them years ago.
Ropeman1. It’s just an often overlooked piece of gear that has become second nature but is a great piece of gear.
Worst:
Lone wolf climbing sticks. Nothing wrong with them. They are just making least favorite mobile sticks.
That’s really about it. The crew here is pretty good at making good suggestions on gear.

Best:
Ropeman 1
Trophyline Saddles
Wild edge steps
Doyles hoist
Rope bridge and tether
***** edit JX3 Hybrid is quickly climbing this best list for me. I will need a deer season with it to finalize my decision but so far this thing is the cats meow
Worst: (for me)
Climb rite Spurs .... just not for me and to be fair I did not give them an honest shot. Tried 3 times and sold them to buy my son a 20 gauge for turkey hunting
Hawk Heliums ... Just hated to carry and stack them
Backpacks ....none in particular but I have bought and sold like 5 in 2 season. I recently picked up badlands superpack for this season, we will see.
Hawk hoist (webbing one), went through 2 of them in one season, both broke.
The Wild edge bow holder, not a fan of it, no longer use it.

Full disclosure none of these besides the hawk hoist were bad products, I just did not get what I needed out of them.

Last edited:
Best
Thermacell
- No discussion needed.
Ropeman 1
Sit drag. still my favorite saddle
scent lok/ scent blocker their clothing quality cannot be denied
battery back up charger for my phone when you use maps alot this is dang nice to have
Huntstand App
Irish setter rpm boots are freaking fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

worst
Nissan Altima yes i'm using everywhere I can to talk about this lemon of a transmission in our car it just sucks
butane hand warmers what a joke they work but the smell awful and you cannot turn them off they run all the butane out every time
Muck boots leak after my first hunt in the briar patch you cannot be gentle enough with them me I ain't gentle with anything

I will finish as I remember

Last edited:
Best

• Huntstand App
  • Muck Boots
  • WS Pungo Kayak
  • "Rainmaker" ($60 pawnshop shotty that has killed more stuff than communism)
  • Kestrel
Worst
  • A POS coyote call. Sounds NOTHING like a dang coyote.
  • Every. Pair. Of. Snake. Boots. Ever. They all have leaked within a season.
  • Low brass shotgun shells. Making me mad just thinking about them.
  • Big hunting knives. Screw anything with bigger than a 4" blade.
  • Every deer call I've ever bought. South Alabama deer only make one sound, and they make it when they're hauling away from you.
Spurs and a predator were also a bad combo for me. Sticks almost made the list too.

Best
-Guidos Web--this was awesome during rifle season and freezing cold days I probably wouldnt have sat in.
-Custom made schrade style "sharp finger" knife. The perfect skinning and woods knife. I field dressed a whole bear with it, and I could still shave my arm afterwords. I've always loved the sharpfinger, but this thing is money.
-CF bolts. These have been awesome for me to throw in a pack with a drill and saddle and get out. If I dont end up hanging and just ground hunt, I dont even realize they're there, but I have the option. Really one of the reasons I got into saddle hunting and these made it so much easier.
-Kestrel.

Worst
-Every DIY platform I ever put together. Klemz, LW seat, whatever. They just didn't do it for me.
-Climb Paws--the light weight intrigued me, buy they pack like a bag of potatoes.
-a pile of carbon fiber hockey stick shafts to build climbing sticks with. Good concept, but after having so many different types of sticks, I decided they don't need to get lighter, just better to pack and carry. Mini sticks dont even do it for me.
-Buckingham titanium spurs upgraded wtih clmb right ultralight pads. I thought I was going to blow my old knee injury out within 5 minutes, which would have led to me skidding down a tree, and probably stabbing myself in the other calf. They're just not worth it in general to me.

Best

Thread injector- I have 4 saddles and not one of them is a store bought one. That alone has paid for my sewing machine 2 over.

Alps hybrid x pack-not the lightest but I can make 1 trip in and 1 out with a quartered deer.

Climb rite Spurs

Thermacell

Onyx

Worst

Stealth steps
Cheap game cameras

Best (in reverse order)
Honorable Mention: Madrock Safeguard. I love this little ascender/descender. Its almost like it was custom built with saddle hunting in mind. Also, I really, really enjoy rappelling from the tree at the end of the hunt - woohoo.:)
5. Modified Hawk Helium. Shortened so it fits vertical in the pouch of turkey vest (my pack), it offers no issue with carrying. Add the cam cleat and rope and it becomes an invaluable one stick for climbing almost any tree I want.
4. Turkey vest. This thing has gone with me in the woods on virtually every big game hunt (turkey/deer) I've been on for the last 15 years. Separate pockets on the front keep my gear accessible and sorted. Pouch on the back works for larger items like layers, stick and platform. Hangs and wraps around the tree so everything is still accessible without creating a large bulge on the tree. Bonus is that the padding in the back that is intended as air flow standoffs doubles as great kneepads.
3. Ropeman 1. Love the ease of adjustment provided. Never really liked the "set back" associated with prussics and there is virtually none when using the ropeman. Pull the tag end to where you want it and it stays there.
2. Predator. Bought this as an after thought. I had already placed my Mantis order a month earlier and then went back and placed an order for the Predator figuring I could always unload it if it wasn't for me. Wow, with an amsteel daisy chain mod this thing is the berries. Light, compact, quiet and quick to set up. This turned out to be my number one purchase of 2018. So much so I bought a second one as a backup.
1. Kestrel. Although not my primary "go to" saddle these days, I'm not sure I would still be saddle hunting if I hadn't purchased the Kestrel. First saddle I truly was able to find comfort with. Purchasing and using this for season changed my hunting experience.

Worst (also in reverse order)
I have to qualify this list though. It's not that I don't like most things on this list, its more that they have just not proven to be useful for me in my hunting setups.
5. Climbrite Spurs. Bought these after watching @flinginairos demonstration video. I do love how easy they are to climb with. Only issue I have is that I hunt about 95% public and they're just not practical for that.
4. SRT Climbing Tools. Starting out I thought SRT was going to be the ticket to getting into the tree for me. I love the ease of climbing (easiest way to climb a tree in my opinion) and it worked great in the backyard. That ease did not translate well into the woods. For me the throw line tangles and grabs underbrush even in the daylight. To be effective I need to preset trees and I find now that I'm not repeat hunting trees very often so its just not practical. I still enjoy going out and using them for sport though.
3. Madrock Lifeguard. Funny, as much as I like the Safeguard, I didn't like the Lifeguard. The cam return spring was too strong and I was always nervous it was going to uncam and not recam on me in the tree if I unweighted my tether at all. Ended up selling it to an ice climbing buddy for use as a belay device. Its what it was designed for and he loves it for that application.
2. Aero Evolution. My first saddle. As a new saddle hunter I could never get it dialed in to where I was comfortable in it. I think a large part of that was the fact that it had so many adjustments available and as novice saddlehunter I didn't have enough experience to know what I needed to do to find the sweet spot. In fairness, I broke this out for a buddy to play with earlier this year and before I gave it to him I sat in it for a bit. Knowing what I now know I was able to dial the comfort in perfectly in minutes. This may move up on the list for all day sits. It just didn't work for me starting out.
1. 5 Step Aider. Wow, I want this to work in the worst way. I have practiced a bunch with it but I just can't get comfortable with long aiders. The kick out factor is just to great for me.

Back