• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trad bow and EZV sight

Exhumis

SH Member
Hello stick bowpersons,
Potentially stupid/offensive question:
Dunno how many of you are familiar with the EZV sight, but for those who are, would the method of sighting be beneficial for trad shooters who use a sight? Correct me if I’m wrong but some of trad shooting is instinctively, right? Shooting with the EZV is somewhat instinctive.
Go easy on me, wheel shooter in unfamiliar territory.

Last edited:
I think the natural cant of shooting a traditional bow would cause havoc with the EZV premis????

Hello stick bowpersons,
Potentially stupid/offensive question:
Dunno how many of you are familiar with the EZV sight, but for those who are, would the method of sighting be beneficial for trad shooters who use a sight? Correct me if I’m wrong but some of trad shooting is instinctively, right? Shooting with the EZV is someone instinctive.
Go easy on me, wheel shooter in unfamiliar territory.
I’m a total traditional shooter with my stick bows and my wheel bow I use an ezv. I like them both. I also have a single pin sight for my other wheel bow. I prefer the ezv for Hunting applications.

I put single brass pin sights on my bows and it helped me with my gaps immediately. With not having a reference point in the front of the bow, I had inconsistencies in the shot. Now when I shoot my bows without a sight, the gaps are more consistent and natural for me. Have been shooting 10-12 yards in the basement all winter and now I can get out and set my sights for 15 yards so a little over for 20 yards and a little under for 10 yards. Should cover my hunting needs.

Ok. I'm read up now. So here's why I had a good laugh...

My primary and backup compound bows are LASERS. Most folks would love to have these setups, however owning them has caused a real bad case of IshouldprobablyjustleavemybabieshangingontherackandnevertouchthemagaincauseIdontwantanythingtopotentiallygetknockedoutofplace. This was almost manageable. But I recently came down with an absolute hatred for caring for wet gear after a rain.

In an attempt to remedy both of these afflictions, I began looking into traditional archery a few months ago. The simplicity and ruggedness are what gets me. Seems I can get an ol stick-&-string wet AND drop it out of a tree (or let someone else look at it with their hands) and not be in mourning for days afterward. What's not to love about that setup?

So, since I have nothing else to tinker with at the moment... I went ahead and picked up a recurve. It's been fun so far. I've really been trying to implement a lot of what Tom Clum and Clay Hayes are saying. To my surprise, I'm doing pretty dern good at 15yds (ask @GCTerpfan). What was initially instinctive, quickly turned into gap shooting as I allowed my eyes to recognize where the arrow tip was in relation to the target. Now that I'm consistently on at 15yds, I'm going through the process of increasing my effective range (hopefully eventually out to 25yds).

This gap shooting is giving me serious bowhunter anxiety though. It's reminded me just how much I SUCK AT YARDAGE ESTIMATION. I've always sucked at it. But I mounted an EZV on my bow two years ago and never had to worry about it again. My mind understood the thing so quickly that I actually tossed my rangefinder in the extra-hunting-gear-that-I'll-never-use-again drawer. Now I'm worried that I will eventually walk into the deer woods with a recurve in one hand and a rangefinder in the other.

So, in conclusion... I too want to put an EZV on a recurve. :smile:

Now that I'm consistently on at 15yds, I'm going through the process of increasing my effective range (hopefully eventually out to 25yds).

There are some guys who can do 25 Yards with traditional but they are rare. Most guys I talk to and my own experience says that traditional hunting is a 15-20 yard game. Being accurate at 25 is doable, but the time of flight is an issue. I am not at all saying you cant be effective to 25 I am just letting you know that is a high bar. Best of luck!

To both of the potential sinners in this thread (@Red Beard @Exhumis ):). Trust me when I tell you that if you don't overthink it and don't expect immediate results, all you need to do is focus on your form and go shoot a lot and your brain will start doing exactly what it does with the EZV, except without the need for the EZV. The good news is shooting a Trad bow is so much fun it's easy to shoot a lot.

And this is a pic of @Red Beard's 15 yd groups. Help me convince him he doesn't need an EZV, he just needs to get within 15 yds of deer. ;)

IMG_20210315_094203.jpg

I don't think you'll be making enough speed for the V to be effective for extending your range. It would maybe work for some setups though. My bow is too slow to kill anything, so it for sure wouldn't work for me.

I don't think you'll be making enough speed for the V to be effective for extending your range. It would maybe work for some setups though. My bow is too slow to kill anything, so it for sure wouldn't work for me.
Yes. This is exactly one of the things I thought about. The slowest insert is 200fps and my 50lb limbs are shooting around 175fps.

I wrote Aaron to see if he would make slower inserts. He said it wasn't worth it suggested that I use the 200fps insert to see what would happen.

There is a Das sight ring on 3rivers that has different shaped loops for different drops and ranges. You sight the loop in for the middle range and then bracket the target in the loop for long and short ranges.

Yes. This is exactly one of the things I thought about. The slowest insert is 200fps and my 50lb limbs are shooting around 175fps.

I wrote Aaron to see if he would make slower inserts. He said it wasn't worth it suggested that I use the 200fps insert to see what would happen.

Or........you just keep shooting and let your brain do what God designed it to do. ;)

Just an FYI, I might have to revoke the Striper fishing invite if you put an EZV on a trad bow. :)

Edit: I probably will stop giving you a hard time eventually but, it won't be anytime soon.

I tried it. Got me grouping at 15 and 20 yds quicker than when I first learned to shoot trad 20 years ago. Back then I had better vision and eventually did become proficient shooting instinctive. At least at 3D courses. I was hoping to use the EZV to shorten the process and eventually remove it once I developed the muscle memory and site vision. Plus it gets a rise out of the uptight trad guys. :smirk:

Attachments

• A6E5546C-A306-4968-BA66-C3121B302987.jpeg
    A6E5546C-A306-4968-BA66-C3121B302987.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 35
Back