• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Traditional from a JX3 is a little challenging.

michigandrake

I had my first elevated session tonight and it was a little tough. I short stroked a few and overcooked a few for good measure. The good news is 70% of my shots were pretty good. My ground practice told me the hybrid and traditional would be tricky. It most certainly is when elevated. I have a lot of bugs to work out.

I had my first elevated session tonight and it was a little tough. I short stroked a few and overcooked a few for good measure. The good news is 70% of my shots were pretty good. My ground practice told me the hybrid and traditional would be tricky. It most certainly is when elevated. I have a lot of bugs to work out.

Probably best you switch to a compound. Even better, crossbow. ;)

Now what kind of traditional spirit is that? Sure it is hard but that is what makes it fun ...... or infuriating. Depends on the day. Kinda reminds me of golf. Funny because I am good at both but I love archery and hate golf.

Trad + JX3 is probably like 18 holes with just a sand wedge. lol. Honestly, I have no idea. I think trad is so cool. And I love the JX3 in theory, but I don't take mine out even during rifle, yet.

Put the time in and master that combination. Jedi.

Now what kind of traditional spirit is that? Sure it is hard but that is what makes it fun ...... or infuriating. Depends on the day. Kinda reminds me of golf. Funny because I am good at both but I love archery and hate golf.

It's not the best tool for the job....plain and simple. I have one and I'm a trad shooter. The jx3 makes things harder than it needs to be for a trad shooter. For that reason I won't use it with a trad bow.

IMO, no need to add another handicap. We are supposed to be working on systems that give us advantages, not the other way around. My trad bow gives me an advantage in tight, quick scenarios where light may be a factor. The jx3 with a trad bow limits mobility and shot selection. It's taking a step backwards.

Michigandrake, there are nay sayers in every facet of life, keep up the practice.
I have hunted out of a JX3 style saddle since 1985 with trad bow and gun, and have never felt handicapped at all, quite the opposite.
Shooting styles differ whether you are on the ground, in a tree stand or in a saddle, just learn the technique and you will be successful.
Not every one wants to put in the time to be successful.
Come to the light........

Michigandrake, there are nay sayers in every facet of life, keep up the practice.
I have hunted out of a JX3 style saddle since 1985 with trad bow and gun, and have never felt handicapped at all, quite the opposite.
Shooting styles differ whether you are on the ground, in a tree stand or in a saddle, just learn the technique and you will be successful.
Not every one wants to put in the time to be successful.
Come to the light........

Not everyone wants to put in the time, but I do.
Great tool....not the best solution for a trad bow.

Period.

It's not the best tool for the job....plain and simple. I have one and I'm a trad shooter. The jx3 makes things harder than it needs to be for a trad shooter. For that reason I won't use it with a trad bow.

IMO, no need to add another handicap. We are supposed to be working on systems that give us advantages, not the other way around. My trad bow gives me an advantage in tight, quick scenarios where light may be a factor. The jx3 with a trad bow limits mobility and shot selection. It's taking a step backwards.
I agree that it did not feel like the best tool during my first session. I use the JX3 for 100% of my elevated hunts and I am getting more into traditional. Eventually, the 2 have to meet and see how it goes. I can always keep using the compound from the JX3 if trad out of it turns out to be a bust. Planning on more ground hunts this year so either way I will get some stick and sting hunting in.

Michigandrake-
You are taking on two new different challenges, the trad bow and the JX3.
If it were me, I would master one at a time, from my experience the JX3 would be the easier of the two to start with.
The JX3 is very versatile for any weapon and comfort is unmatched.
The trad bow is a lifelong commitment (for me) and requires almost daily practice to be consistent.

Michigandrake-
You are taking on two new different challenges, the trad bow and the JX3.
If it were me, I would master one at a time, from my experience the JX3 would be the easier of the two to start with.
The JX3 is very versatile for any weapon and comfort is unmatched.
The trad bow is a lifelong commitment (for me) and requires almost daily practice to be consistent.
I am not new to the JX3 or traditional for that matter. Very comfortable with the JX3 ..... less so with my recurve but gaining on it every day. The 2 together are brand new for me.

I am not new to the JX3 or traditional for that matter. Very comfortable with the JX3 ..... less so with my recurve but gaining on it every day. The 2 together are brand new for me.
Understood.
My practice from the JX3 consists of shooting at a 3-D on wheels that my wife moves around for me.
She is also my arrow retriever, but that is if the "honeydo" list is complete.
Occasionally, when my grandson is shooting with me, he will be the retriever.
Nothing beats time in the saddle........
Good luck.

Understood.
My practice from the JX3 consists of shooting at a 3-D on wheels that my wife moves around for me.
She is also my arrow retriever, but that is if the "honeydo" list is complete.
Occasionally, when my grandson is shooting with me, he will be the retriever.
Nothing beats time in the saddle........
Good luck.

Dang that sounds like an accident waiting to happen. i might get my wife to start doin this :tearsofjoy: Ohhhhh you mean move the target then leave? i thought she was wheeling it around while you shoot at "it" to practice on a moving target. I'll think of somethin...

I have been hunting out of the JX 3 for five years this fall, but only been shooting Trad for nine months. I’m on the tall side, and my first bow was a 66” takedown recurve. Try as I might I just couldn’t shoot it out of my JX 3. On steeply angled shots the geometry just wouldn’t allow it with the lower half of the string always contacting the Hybrid seat.

In an effort to improve the geometry I recently purchased an ILF riser with a set of Uukha Super curve limbs. The AMO is only 2” shorter, but tip to tip the new bow is almost 5” shorter than my original. The difference was substantial.

On steeply angled shots I slide as far to the edge of the seat as I can and then lean out slightly canting the bow as needed. A month ago I thought I would be relegated to hunting from ground with my recurve, but now I am just as accurate from my JX3 as I am from the ground. Come on September.

I have been hunting out of the JX 3 for five years this fall, but only been shooting Trad for nine months. I’m on the tall side, and my first bow was a 66” takedown recurve. Try as I might I just couldn’t shoot it out of my JX 3. On steeply angled shots the geometry just wouldn’t allow it with the lower half of the string always contacting the Hybrid seat.

In an effort to improve the geometry I recently purchased an ILF riser with a set of Uukha Super curve limbs. The AMO is only 2” shorter, but tip to tip the new bow is almost 5” shorter than my original. The difference was substantial.

On steeply angled shots I slide as far to the edge of the seat as I can and then lean out slightly canting the bow as needed. A month ago I thought I would be relegated to hunting from ground with my recurve, but now I am just as accurate from my JX3 as I am from the ground. Come on September.

Once you get to the edge of the seat, the bridge can/will slide and the seat turns sideways. I don't like that....more clunky movement than necessary. That doesn't happen with fabric saddles.
I'm not tall, but tried a 56" bow from it. Maybe I'll try again but I doubt it. Better options for a short guy.

Once you get to the edge of the seat, the bridge can/will slide and the seat turns sideways. I don't like that....more clunky movement than necessary. That doesn't happen with fabric saddles.
I'm not tall, but tried a 56" bow from it. Maybe I'll try again but I doubt it. Better options for a short guy.

You’re correct about the bridge sliding when you lean way out to one side. It takes a little getting used to as your brain is screaming for it to be centered/balanced. After some practice I’ve gotten to where I can control the amount of slide, and have just gotten mentally comfortable with it.

The JX 3 may not be the perfect tool for Trad, but it’s the best tool for me. Sitting still without fidgeting is key to getting game up close, and the JX3 allows me to do that for over ten hours at a time. I’ve been exclusively Public Land in the mountains for the past 7 years, and packing my comfy Summit Goliath isn’t an option. I wish I could use a light weight soft saddle, but with multiple back issues I just can’t sit in them for any length of time. The JX3 checks all the boxes for me.

Back