• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Traditional from a saddle

Robbo

How do you all like shooting trad bows from saddle? Is it hard to do?

@GCTerpfan

I had difficulty with it this year. Proper alignment was hard for me to achieve.

GCTerpfan says it's easier if you have a ROS.

I don't shoot as well over the bridge. I prefer to either move to the back side of the tree, or better yet turn on the platform.
It's probably the main reason why I don't use a ROS.
I'd venture to say that shooting a trad bow is better suited to a platform rather than ROS.
A platform will allow you to get a little farther away from the tree trunk for better bow clearance. And that would be especially true for shooters who cant their bow.
It's the main reason I prefer to shoot with a vertical bow.

I prefer a short bow and shoot vertical (Wing Thunderbird). Clear limbs to allow free movement. missed one last year when my top limb hit a branch on release. It had approached from behind and I hadn't expected a shot from that side. All good as it missed him a mile, was able to recover arrow, and got a reminder of a lesson learned several times now.

First year in the saddle for me, with a 64" stick bow. I hunted off the top of my climbing stick. I hunted 45 days straight (November - December rut). It was a real challenge. First day out I had a buck at 12 yards, and tried to draw my bow 4 times, and kept hitting the tree (canted bow).

You can hide behind the tree, but you cannot shoot from behind the tree (canted bow). You can attempt to move around to the front of the tree and not get busted, or hope the deer walks past you and you can shoot on your strong or weak side.

It was quite a puzzle to try to solve in order to shoot a stick bow. Which side of the tree to use (strong side - weak side shots), wind direction, anticipated deer travel direction(s), leaning trees, etc.

As luck would have it, on Dec 14 the wind was blowing 40 mph. My tree was swinging in circles. I knew I would never be able to make the shot, so the goal was to get down safely, and I did. There was an hour of daylight left, so I sat on the ground next to the tree, and killed a 3 1/2 year old buck at 15 yds. Go figure.

A traditional tree stand is far easier to shoot a stick bow from, but I am absolutely sold on tree saddles. Staying hid behind the tree allows me to get shots < 15 yards. I agree that a large platform on the "back" of the tree will help (strong side - weak side shots). I am also going to position my stick on the strong side of my platform to use to get to the front of the tree.

I cannot wait for next year.

I shoot better from a saddle then I do a tree stand. I find I naturally bend at the waist in a saddle but I have to consciously think about it in a tree stand.

As far as a ROS versus a platform, that likely comes down to preference. I shoot a lot better when I have both feet planted on something firm, preferably shoulder width apart, and my shoulders square to the target. The easiest way I can accomplish this is with a ROS. I place five steps equally around the tree. This way with just one or two steps to my strong side or one step to my weak side I have a comfortable foot position and can shoot almost completely around the tree.

I used a platform with a single step on the strong side and placed the top of my stick on the weak side for a couple of seasons. This works okay also but, I like having one more step around on the strong side plus I am personally more comfortable sitting for along period with a ROS then I am with my knees together on a platform.

Thank you GCTerpfan for your input. I am a beginner saddle / stick bow guy. I have not purchased a platform yet, and can envision using ROS as you described above. I will definitely investigate.

Went to a mission platform this season for the little bit of extra room and being able to more easily pivot going back to the tree for weak side shots. That makes for a much more comfortable weak side shot than moving the bow over the tether. That little bit of extra space gives a lot more options for getting in a good shooting position.

Back