• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree bolts

DropTine

Any using lag bolts to climb with? I figured to prep a bunch of trees where permitted I could use some kind of bolt with power drill to set em up quick

Yup thanks guys. I found what I was looking for. FYI: 6" Grade 8, 3/8" bolts have a tensile strength of 150,000lbs/square inch.

I have been looking at doing this but haven’t found where to get bolts yet but feel like 6 inch bolts don’t give much room, thinking of trying 8 inch bolts and see what ones are best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get mine from a local hardware store.

I'm gonna try 6 1/2 " let you know how it goes. Should get them today and maybe get them on a tree by Thursday.

I have been looking at doing this but haven’t found where to get bolts yet but feel like 6 inch bolts don’t give much room, thinking of trying 8 inch bolts and see what ones are best.

This is covered in some old threads - not recommended as the bolt can bend. And you have more room than you think - about as much or more than a screw in step.

I got some 1/2" x 6 1/2" bolts that I think are gonna work pretty good. Got them today.

Never got out to put in the bolts yet... was thinking about rebar do think that would work?

I’m 290lbs size 13 boots and grade 8 3/8”x6” bolts work great. I drill at a slight downhill angle and that keeps my boots tight to the tree.

Yeah thanks I have grade 8 1/2" x 6" bolts I will use for a set. Probably just stay with using bolts and ameristeps

Back