• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tried 4 Wildedge Steps as a platform

bowhunter15

Vendor Rep
They're definitely the most solid, saddle friendly platform I've tried so far. They also take the longest to setup by far. But, I had no problem whatsoever with getting in position for 360 degrees of shooting with good form. I never felt off balance, or like I was going to slip. They just flat out make you feel confident spinning around up there. This was on a fairly large tree (had about a foot of rope left for each attachment). I tried 3 steps too, equally spaced, but couldn't get quite that last 15 degrees of shooting with good form (could've pulled it off with a compound but not trad bow). My guess is that 3 might be sufficient on a smaller tree.

So, when time is insignificant, such as an all day sit during the rut, I think that's the route I'll go for a platform. For shorter, more targeted sits (only going to get shots one direction, limited time after rush hour traffic, going in blind in the AM, etc) I might still lean towards a strap on step platform or large platform (XOP, LW, etc). The straps and XOP platform are both fast. I can't quite seem to get all of the "sponge" out of the strap on steps on larger trees, but they win for lightweight and compact. I can't get 360 degree shooting out of an XOP platform, and it's really bulky, and I half get the feeling i could just use an Assault, but it's fast and comfortable, great when you know the shot isn't going to be directly behind the tree.

Anyways, just thought I would share my initial thoughts to this point.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I use the wild edge and 3 ameristeps. Takes some getting used to setting up but one really you can it over and out weight on the steps they make a fine platform. Almost too hard to take off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am loving mine as a platform as well.
I am getting much better at setting them. Very excited about how quiet they are to set up too. I may as well be standing on a branch - they are that solid on the tree.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

I've been using only two and the top of my cheap sticks for the third base. So far so good.

I've been using only two and the top of my cheap sticks for the third base. So far so good.
That's what I did on my last sit. Worked ok, though the stick wasn't quite as good since it was so close to the tree, and trying to hang set the steps at the same height as the top of my stick was really awkward since I would need to have my feet in the aiders. By setting multiple steps a little higher than my stick I can have more stable footing while placing the steps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is what I've been doing also, but on my last hunt the stepps worked down to contact the rope holding my top stick on the tree. It will take some getting used to to avoid this.

I do put them a touch higher than my sticks.
The only real problem I've run into is on pine trees where I've cut a limb off. Trying to get them to be solid where the tree has a bump is a pita I usually have to settle with not having them exactly where I want them. Sunday night was the first time I've had one slide down on me. It was camed over right but once I side loaded it it slipped off the knot in the tree and became loose. I bounced on it and it sorta settled and I finished the hunt. I'm not sure I'd have felt confident stepping on it if a deer was close from a noise perspective.

Another situation that I am working thorough while using Stepps is when you are using a smaller diameter tree. Doing this doesn't enable you to keep the backside of the rope lower than the top of the Stepp. When I climb a tree that is only 10-12" diameter, the Stepp rope ends up being more or less parallel with the deck. Not a problem, until you try to hang your second (third?) Stepp at the same level. This is tough because the cleats will want to naturally fall on the previous Stepp's rope.

VERY minor inconvenience for all of the benefits of the system.

Here is a hint for you right hander's (I may be the last to discover this, if so just disregard!)
If installing 2 or more Stepps, hang them from right to left. It is much easier to tie the Stepp on the left side because the Stepp knot is right in front of your face. Tying the knot on the right is a little more challenging. A best practice is what is depicted on the YouTube videos where you tie a Stepp right in front of you, then un-cam it and slide it to the right and reinstall it. Then you'll have easy access (and an easy view) to tie the one on the left. A second benefit of going right to left is that you can easily hold the next-to-be-installed Stepp in your left hand and feed that Stepp's rope through the already installed Stepp. Feeding the rope first through a Stepp, then around the tree, then tying the knot is shaping the opportunity to bang that Stepp on something metal thereby making a loud noise that all but FORCES you to cuss out loud.

How do you guys find the comfort level on your feet to be?

Wild edge stepps are really comfortable on my feet. Theres lot of surface area and also different angles that you can use to your advantage.

For a platform i like to use 3 steps. If you place the center step a little lower than the other two, setup is faster and the straps don't interfere as much. Theres no sacrifice in comfort either.

stepps as a platform will probably be my dominant option this season again...having said that - I have a new pack that may make carrying the assassin less annoying, so it will get some more run.

I think my favorite sized tree is 8 to 10 inches in diameter because my tether does not lose a lot of length when moving around the tree. So far (this is just from testing in yard but shooting into a target), two steps have been plenty for 360 degree shooting.

As far as the rope issue when camming over the second step, I have found something that has helped me. It is possible you guys are already doing it though, but I will toss it out there. I go left to right, but that probably does not matter. I first set it up in front of me then uncam, slide it to where I want, then do it the same with the second. However, when I thread the rope for number two, I do the following. The rope first goes between the top rung and the rope of the step on the tree (so over the rope). Then it goes under the rope of the existing step as you pass through. This now permits me to set step number two high enough so I am not camming on or below the existing rope. It also allows me to get this step closer to the first step.

Ya, I have been spending way too much time this Spring and Summer practicing and modifying things. Pete

Can't be any worse than screw-in steps as a platform!

Just from climbing with my WE stepps I find them to be fairly comfortable. Just a nice wide base for the foot.

So I found the limits of using the Steps as a platform. Little trees. I have a new area I plan to hunt. However, I would say that the bulk of the area I want to hunt is 20 years old, maybe even less. Not a lot of larger trees in good spots. I had a a heck of time finding a tree near this decent run, but I finally found it. However, there was no way of getting two steps around this thing for a platform. But I was able to use three of my brackets. So I would say that once you get down to diameters of five inches or so, the Step will reach its limit as a platform.

20180908_123003.jpg
20180908_123118.jpg

I dont see how you couldnt get 2 stepps on the tree for a platform. I would think 2 would be plenty on a small tree since you dont have as much to move around. Still waiting on a saddle and that might shed the light on me once I start messing around.

I dont see how you couldnt get 2 stepps on the tree for a platform. I would think 2 would be plenty on a small tree since you dont have as much to move around. Still waiting on a saddle and that might shed the light on me once I start messing around.

It may have been me but I could not get two on such a small tree near level. Larger trees allow you run the rope low around the tree in comparison to where you would set the Step. Not enough surface with the small tree to do it. The rope is almost level with the step. Staggering a third step works well but I found that I need at least two to be at the same level for comfort and even weight distribution. Pete

Back