• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tried LWHC as deer hoist

mtsrunner

I really like my ultralight deer hoist, but decided to try using my LWHC and a couple of carabiners this weekend to see if I liked it better.
I think it would be ok if you had a buddy to help get the deer/LWHC higher on the tree, but I just wasn’t strong enough to get it as high as I wanted by myself.
I usually kill MUCH smaller deer, so I guess it would normally be ok ([mention]Nutterbuster [/mention] knows what I’m talking about)

5951b9aeb8909b8287a70a5edaa2b160.jpg

c69ff9e35701f42c27a0a3c5c3c5e8fb.jpg

65930036ed8befd225982f5edfdeb599.jpg

bad55df1af216b684df9de7dbdd05b03.jpg

62deca49bf96ef7f0e843da58b6beecb.jpg

Here is the link to other method that I created. I prefer it and will stick with it, I think.

DIY 3 ounce deer hoist
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...eer-hoist.22282/&share_type=t&link_source=app

I like that works in a pinch. I have used a climbing stick in past and couple beeners and tether and pulled up works but I like a traditional gambrel I’m gonna make your hoist this off season. I like that forgot to do it when you originally posted about it

I just do it on the ground. Easier and faster for me. I cut off the lower portion of each leg first. Make an incision from base of skull to tail. Make an incision from middle of each leg on the top side that goes from where leg was severed up to incision down back. Skin around quarters and down the side. Pull shoulder, ham, backstrap and neck meat. Flip deer and repeat for other side. It is easier on the back to do it on a tailgate but not a problem on the ground when the situation dictates. This is standard procedure in backcountry style hunting. Once i did it there i was like why the hek am i hanging deer and skinning them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I just do it on the ground. Easier and faster for me. I cut off the lower portion of each leg first. Make an incision from base of skull to tail. Make an incision from middle of each leg on the top side that goes from where leg was severed up to incision down back. Skin around quarters and down the side. Pull shoulder, ham, backstrap and neck meat. Flip deer and repeat for other side. It is easier on the back to do it on a tailgate but not a problem on the ground when the situation dictates. This is standard procedure in backcountry style hunting. Once i did it there i was like why the hek am i hanging deer and skinning them.

Haha. You’re profile states that you are 33 years old. I totally agree that tailgate is the best, but I’m not dragging a deer back to my truck if I’m deep in the woods.
Revisit this post in about 20 years and tell us how your back feels about wrestling a deer on the ground. Do you hunt in the mountains? I do. No level ground anywhere. It’s a whole different game if you are fighting gravity with every cut.
Check out the link to my 3 oz hoist and the videos I did.

Haha. You’re profile states that you are 33 years old. I totally agree that tailgate is the best, but I’m not dragging a deer back to my truck if I’m deep in the woods.
Revisit this post in about 20 years and tell us how your back feels about wrestling a deer on the ground. Do you hunt in the mountains? I do. No level ground anywhere. It’s a whole different game if you are fighting gravity with every cut.
Check out the link to my 3 oz hoist and the videos I did.
I understand the age thing. But i also understand there are guys way older than me doing it on the ground because that is the only option. Yes i hunt in the mountains, but not for whitetails. Notice my profile pic. I shot that buck at 13,200 about 5 miles in.

I never said drag it to your truck. Dragging is about the dumbest thing you can do. I know because i have done my share of it. If i can drag it 100 yards and get to it with the truck, im gonna do it on the tailgate. If not, its getting quartered where it falls.

You can tell me i'm wrong if you want. But you will not know until you try it. I can have one quartered on the ground in the same amount of time it would take me to hang and skin.

I can assure you that none of these animals were drug or hung.
f69fd56c00b5ec9c2b98f1a8cbb40e37.jpg
59d6599c45c396d996252c8af5497371.jpg
ceb86ddc11f8b10be6b15629c50df35e.jpg
d9c4a160a2eb99db615dceb85a4b0aed.jpg

I understand the age thing. But i also understand there are guys way older than me doing it on the ground because that is the only option. Yes i hunt in the mountains, but not for whitetails. Notice my profile pic. I shot that buck at 13,200 about 5 miles in.

I never said drag it to your truck. Dragging is about the dumbest thing you can do. I know because i have done my share of it. If i can drag it 100 yards and get to it with the truck, im gonna do it on the tailgate. If not, its getting quartered where it falls.

You can tell me i'm wrong if you want. But you will not know until you try it. I can have one quartered on the ground in the same amount of time it would take me to hang and skin.

You shoot that bighorn with that recurv??? NICE!!!

You shoot that bighorn with that recurv??? NICE!!!
No that was my buddy closest to the head. I was just along to help. We planned a 10 day hunt and he killed it on the evening we hiked in. He built that bow too.

Wow. Any of those pics would be a dream hunt for me. That is awesome. I’m not saying you are wrong. I have killed and cut up somewhere around 100 white tails over the last 30 plus years. Most of them have been on the ground, just like you said. I agree, that it is just as fast, if not faster to just walk up to them and start to work. Nothing wrong with that. I have learned over the last two seasons that it is worth the little extra time and effort for my personal situation to use my ultralight hoist. It doesn’t save time or make the cuts any cleaner. What it does (for me) is allow me to function normally the next day or two instead of feeling like I was in a car wreck. I played a ton of contact sports growing up and have run thousands and thousands of miles in my life. I don’t regret it, but there is a price to pay. I’m cool with that.

Wow. Any of those pics would be a dream hunt for me. That is awesome. I’m not saying you are wrong. I have killed and cut up somewhere around 100 white tails over the last 30 plus years. Most of them have been on the ground, just like you said. I agree, that it is just as fast, if not faster to just walk up to them and start to work. Nothing wrong with that. I have learned over the last two seasons that it is worth the little extra time and effort for my personal situation to use my ultralight hoist. It doesn’t save time or make the cuts any cleaner. What it does (for me) is allow me to function normally the next day or two instead of feeling like I was in a car wreck. I played a ton of contact sports growing up and have run thousands and thousands of miles in my life. I don’t regret it, but there is a price to pay. I’m cool with that.
I totally get that. We all have to do what works best for us. We are all in different places. I am just sharing another option for people who never considered it.

All of those hunts where DIY and cost nothing but the tag. All public land. Just had to apply a lot of boot leather.

No that was my buddy closest to the head. I was just along to help. We planned a 10 day hunt and he killed it on the evening we hiked in. He built that bow too.

Awesome, must have been very rewarding for him.

Back