• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tried Sou Vide

dlist777

I always sucked at Venison roasts. Steaks, loins, burger were all fine but my roasts were always pretty bad.

I tried Sou Vide. For those of you who dont know about it, it's a super easy way to have perfectly cooked meats by boiling in a vacuum sealed bag. Google it.

Pretty hard to mess up. I made a roast tonight...it was a big hit.
d48e4e9dfe936e201976a0f08b282809.jpg
8e10429b31775f638e61258fe7c64992.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Funny. I tried that tonight too. How long did you cook that for?

I tried a beef roast for 3 hours at 135, but wasn't tender enough.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I did 6 hrs at 135. I've seen some recipes that say up to 24 hrs depending on size.

Mine was great and still real juicy....so I'd definitely recommend at least 6. It was like a 1.5lb roast.

Funny. I tried that tonight too. How long did you cook that for?

I tried a beef roast for 3 hours at 135, but wasn't tender enough.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Going to largely depend on the roast. Something like a chuck roast has a bunch of connective tissues that takes time and temp to break down. So even at 135 it could take 24 hours to make tender. I've never used one, but I understand the concept.

Can I cook it in a vacuum sealed bag in the oven for 12 hours at 150F or is that temperature too high?

Going to largely depend on the roast. Something like a chuck roast has a bunch of connective tissues that takes time and temp to break down. So even at 135 it could take 24 hours to make tender. I've never used one, but I understand the concept.

I’ve done chuck roasts at 132° for 48 to 72 hours. Ends up extremely tender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Can I cook it in a vacuum sealed bag in the oven for 12 hours at 150F or is that temperature too high?

The main "point" of sou vide is you set the water at the exact temperature you want the meat to cook to and it will evenly cook it throughout because it's in the circulating water. An oven, you need to set the temperature higher so you get it more done on the outside and less done on the inside which often means you end out under cooking or over cooking. The vaccum sealed bag just keeps the water off the meat. I don't think it would help to put it in a bag in the oven.

Google SouVide. The whole set up can be real cheap. You only need the machine. You can use any old giant pot and you don't even need to vacuum seal, you can use zip lock bags and clip them to the side if you're careful.

If you're looking to do sous vide on a budget look here, it can be done pretty inexpensiv

Looks delicious!! Funny you posted that I just got my setup last friday, did pulled pork at 160 for 24 hours then put on the smoker for 3 hours at 150. It literally fell apart it was very moist and got a lot of smoke flavor big hit with the entire family.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The main "point" of sou vide is you set the water at the exact temperature you want the meat to cook to and it will evenly cook it throughout because it's in the circulating water. An oven, you need to set the temperature higher so you get it more done on the outside and less done on the inside which often means you end out under cooking or over cooking. The vaccum sealed bag just keeps the water off the meat. I don't think it would help to put it in a bag in the oven.

Google SouVide. The whole set up can be real cheap. You only need the machine. You can use any old giant pot and you don't even need to vacuum seal, you can use zip lock bags and clip them to the side if you're careful.
Too Late. It has been in the oven at 150F since 11 PM last night. I will try it for lunch.

At 9:30 this morning.

Last edited:
I’m on a kick of not doing anything less than 24 hours. I did try a shank at 24 hours and it was not nearly long enough or shanks should be taken to a crock pot. Either way the sous vide has changed the game for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tore some of my chuck roast with a fork after 12 hours cooking at 150F. It wasn't as tender as I like but it was pretty tender. I going to eat some now with the dog.
Edit: Just ate some with the dog. It was the most tender rare beef I have eaten in decades. I put it back in the oven at 150F. Will it get more tender with more time? Will it tenderize venison?

Last edited:
I tore some of my chuck roast with a fork after 12 hours cooking at 150F. It wasn't as tender as I like but it was pretty tender. I going to eat some now with the dog.
Edit: Just ate some with the dog. It was the most tender rare beef I have eaten in decades. I put it back in the oven at 150F. Will it get more tender with more time? Will it tenderize venison?
They say dog makes a fine meal but I think if I had chuck roast I would pair it with some taters and carrots, onion and garlic.

They say dog makes a fine meal but I think if I had chuck roast I would pair it with some taters and carrots, onion and garlic.
Why isn't chuck roast made from woodchuck? :D Or are they making GMO woodchucks now?

The dog liked the chuck roast and didn't even mention anything about it not being tender enough.

Cannot go wrong with a crock pot. Just do not be in a hurry. Put meat in the pot on low and let it go. When the aroma gets to you, you know it is almost done.

Back