• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Truck camping: What do you use for heat at night as the seasons gets later?

Robert

Ive got a toolbox camper on my truck, and I camp out of it to hunt sometimes. Im fine to around 20 degrees, but I am thinking if it gets colder I may need external heat. After a quick search online, I was not able to find any viable electric heating solutions. Im not interested in running off my 2 truck batteries. I am wanting to stay away from combustion for safety reasons. Ideally, I would use a very small heater running off of a 50,000 mAh power cell inside my sleeping bag or maybe an electric blanket. Im not familiar with how efficient any of these devices are, just hoping to gain some insight so I can continue to camp in my truck as it gets colder this season in Missouri.
Currently I have a insulating sleeping mat, sleeping bags, power cells.

-Are electric blankets an option?
-Would an electric hand warmer inside the sleeping bag be enough for ~0 degree temps?
Thanks!

I have never been cold in this sleeping bag and I have lived/hunted out of a popup tent camper in northern Michigan in November for the last 12 years.

I would suggest adding another sleeping bag. Or if your a Costco member, one of the $50 down throws, which gives you 2 down throws 60" x 70".

Another option would be a survival tube/blanket. I was looking at these for hammock camping in winter. A bit noisy but will keep you warm.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Go with a second sleeping bag or quilt overtop of the bag you have. Keep your head warm, hot water bottle or hand warmers to keep your feet warm. External heater is a luxury, but what if something goes wrong with it? You would be in for a miserable night and may need to cut your trip short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe get something like a propane heater to warm up/dry out in camp at the end of the day (or build a fire). And then add more insulation. Getting warm is a useful luxury, but less nesessary overnight.

Truck camping I take a couple old comforters to throw over my sleeping bag, that keeps me toasty enough at night even down close to zero. I guess you could run a heater all night but all I do is run a propane heater in the morning. Set the alarm a little early, fire it up high, then snooze for a little while longer and it's nice and toasty while you make a cup of coffee and get dressed.

I have a buddy heater and use it in our shooting houses during deer season but I would like to use it in my truck cap area for overnight heat. How do you vent it so you do not die from CO poisoning while sleeping. Do you keep your truck cap vents open???

I have a buddy heater and use it in our shooting houses during deer season but I would like to use it in my truck cap area for overnight heat. How do you vent it so you do not die from CO poisoning while sleeping. Do you keep your truck cap vents open???

Vent it, get a co monitor if you’re feeling squirrely

Boil water. Fill a large water bottle with it. Place it in a wool sock. Snuggle in.

This works amazing but avoid using a plastic water bottle unless you like plastic tasting water, or at least plan on dumping it out and refilling the next morning. I made the mistake of dumping boiled water into my nalgene and while it's safe upto those temps I didn't exactly think it through because I had no other water supply so the next morning I was drinking plastic water.

Last edited:
I have a fleece jogger and hoodie that I use for PJs and wear a hat or beanie to bed.
I find bag ratings to be off. I buy zero degree bags or even below zero bags. As the temp falls I put my bag in a bivy sack. A significant difference.
I keep important items like my bow in the rain fly vestibule or in the tent. I prefer two man tents for this reason. Keeps the frost and snow off.

A buddy heater is safe for indoors. The big buddy heater has a auto shutoff for low air, there built the same as a indoor gas heater. There just more portable.

Back