• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trying to learn plants and trees

CooterBrown

SH Member
Any online tutorials, YouTube videos, college courses, or books ect. ya'll recommend for learning trees, scrubs, grasses, forbes and invasive species .

Check out your local university's agronomy or horticulture online information. You can contact your local extension office agent, they're a good place to look too and it's part of what they do!

There is an excellent book entitled "Weeds of the Northeast", but it may not fully apply base on the reader's location. Try to find resources that are specific to where you need to identify stuff. Weeds of the Northeast probably won't be as useful to a person in Arizona. But there are species of flora that is widespread so learning is never a bad thing.

There are some apps which help identify plants based on your photos of a particular leaf, fruit, flower, bark characteristics, etc. I have PlantNet on my phone. It's okay, but I've noticed that it's sometimes only 50% accurate.

There's a guy over on Habitat Talk that goes by Native Hunter. This guy is self educated and he is absolutely amazing in his knowledge of plants. You can always reach out to him on that forum with your photos. He's very eager to help.

Seems like the northern half of the state here is 90% invasive species if it's not timber. Fescue and serecia lespedeza dang near every field or pasture. Not sure what all the answers are for turkey population recovery but getting rid of all the fescue would be a good place to start out side of trapping nest predators.

I
There is an excellent book entitled "Weeds of the Northeast", but it may not fully apply base on the reader's location. Try to find resources that are specific to where you need to identify stuff. Weeds of the Northeast probably won't be as useful to a person in Arizona. But there are species of flora that is widespread so learning is never a bad thing.

There are some apps which help identify plants based on your photos of a particular leaf, fruit, flower, bark characteristics, etc. I have PlantNet on my phone. It's okay, but I've noticed that it's sometimes only 50% accurate.

There's a guy over on Habitat Talk that goes by Native Hunter. This guy is self educated and he is absolutely amazing in his knowledge of plants. You can always reach out to him on that forum with your photos. He's very eager to help.
I'm in lower Alabama

Any online tutorials, YouTube videos, college courses, or books ect. ya'll recommend for learning trees, scrubs, grasses, forbes and invasive species .
Download the app "Picture This" onto your phone either in the App store or Google play. I got it last spring and it is absolutely awesome. I know my trees pretty well from my Dad and helping manage timber and doing firewood but this thing has a wealth of great information and it makes it super handy on your phone when you're scouting.

Download the app "Picture This" onto your phone either in the App store or Google play. I got it last spring and it is absolutely awesome. I know my trees pretty well from my Dad and helping manage timber and doing firewood but this thing has a wealth of great information and it makes it super handy on your phone when you're scouting.
I have that thanks

Every state is different... but in MN some state parks have gift shops with books on just this topic. National Parks too, thinking of Voyageurs NP in particular.

I found a manual for the VA forestry service in a used book store in my town. There were actually quite a few tree/horticulture books there. Might be worth checking a used bookstore, if you have one nearby

I found a manual for the VA forestry service in a used book store in my town. There were actually quite a few tree/horticulture books there. Might be worth checking a used bookstore, if you have one nearby
Check local colleges for dendrology / silviculture / forestry programs. The campus bookstore will probably have some used textbooks and field guides in a few months. Might be more in-depth than you're looking for but worth checking out.

Check local colleges for dendrology / silviculture / forestry programs. The campus bookstore will probably have some used textbooks and field guides in a few months. Might be more in-depth than you're looking for but worth checking out.
This is a great idea! Thanks

Though not exactly what you might be looking for this video series is very interesting and deals with reading a forest's history. There were quite a few things I picked up from the series that I did not know before and now when I am in the woods, I see these signs everywhere. I can't remember where or how I found this series.

(229) Tom Wessels: Reading the Forested Landscape, Part 1 - YouTube

Though not exactly what you might be looking for this video series is very interesting and deals with reading a forest's history. There were quite a few things I picked up from the series that I did not know before and now when I am in the woods, I see these signs everywhere. I can't remember where or how I found this series.

(229) Tom Wessels: Reading the Forested Landscape, Part 1 - YouTube
I watched some of his videos. They were good and informative. Not the most exciting to watch but worth it.

Back