• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tuck or Untuck

DroptineKrazy

SH Member
Alright guys.I just watched Jeff Sturgis' latest video (which was great info as always) and he mentioned that he always tucks his pant legs into his rubber boots. His reasoning is that if you wear them on the inside "tucked" that prevents the scent from coming out of the top of the boot with every step and if you wear them on the outside you are putting a puff of scent with every step.
John Eberhart, who we all recognize as the godfather of saddle hunting on the other hand says that he always wears his on the outside "untucked" because when that scent rises from inside his boots it will be adsorbed by his scent lok pants.
Now I have used Scent lok clothing for years and I always tuck my pant legs in too so have I been doing it wrong all along or does it even matter which it must because both of these guys seem to have an opinion and they have a lot more bucks on the wall than I could ever hope for. Your opinion?

Having done both, I tend to side with tucking for one major reason: water. Un-tucked pant legs going through water wick it up. Even with cuff ties secured tightly, they also snag more burs, etc. I think the scent impact is negligible if you're also paying any attention to wind, thermals etc., vs the pain in the butt of soaked, heavier, harder to untie pant legs.

That's just me though. I don't kill big deer for fame, film, guide, author books, etc. I may in fact be an idiot missing out on big deer JUST because I've decided to tuck. Whatever. I hate wet pants. :)

On the issue of scent control, you basically have two extremes that you can watch on youtube. John Eberhart scrubs in like a surgeon everytime he hunts and doesn't have to pay attention to wind. HE KILLS A LOT OF BIG BUCKS. Then you got Dan Infalt who if the wind is right you can smell him from a mile away. Pretty much every hunt he's sweated down from head to toe. HE ALSO KILLS A LOT OF BIG BUCKS. I think if the only thing you have left to worry about is your boots being tucked you already got the game figured out.

P.S. I tuck in for water purposes.

I tried both. When tucked, my boots ended up filled with twigs and briars. I untuck now. I can make a lot of noise emptying my boots.

I tuck for water. It sucks holding your pants up walking though a creek.
I think I stay warmer tucking in my pants
Tucking sucks walking through a thicket where twigs seem to get in my boots more time than not.
If John told was standing there soaking arse wet telling me it was raining out side I would have to go look for myself

See you in a tree, Ricky

I tuck for water. It sucks holding your pants up walking though a creek.
I think I stay warmer tucking in my pants
Tucking sucks walking through a thicket where twigs seem to get in my boots more time than not.
If John told was standing there soaking arse wet telling me it was raining out side I would have to go look for myself

See you in a tree, Ricky
I pull my pant legs up a bit when crossing water to prevent wicking.

I tuck for ticks. I have tick killin clothes (gamehide) and I tuck my pants into my socks. And both inside the boot. That way, I have a layer of tick killin clothes between me and the ticks.

I tuck for ticks, and also so low brush is contacting my rubber boots (which theoretically give off less scent than my cloth pants). I don't think it much matters, though.

I tuck for the simple fact that my pants cut is not generous enough in the calf to easily fit over the top of my rubber boot. For my leather hikers I wear them over the top. I haven't tried gaiters yet, but might for warm weather hunts.

I haven’t read any of these responses but I will add that I wear what every looks the coolest, but sometimes I wear whatever feels the coolest. Whenever I can look and feel the coolest, well... just look out deers.

I was scared to open this thread. Decided to take a chance since I didnt see @Blinginpse in the title.

I don't think it makes a hill of beans worth of difference one way or another. I also don't have 50 book bucks (or whatever Eberhart has) on the wall. Nor do I really believe ScentLok is going to hide me when it's 80° outside and I've walked 2 miles through the woods.

I usually keep them tucked but will untuck and go over the outside when I'm in the marsh or crossing a creek that I think is gonna go over my boots. If your pants fit snug over the outside of your boots they'll keep the water out for a few seconds before it soaks through. Especially if your pants are somewhat water resistant. As far as the scent control part.... I think they're gonna smell you either way

I’m always in water so tucked for me. As far as scent control goes it’s impossible to contain your scent especially from your boots no matter what you do. I would be a fool to believe I can trudge through miles of swamp or marsh while covered in sweat and be able to hide my scent in any possible way. Just not possible. It’s all about playing the wind for me.

Back