• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tuning humor

slonstdy

SH Member
This was posted on Rokslide and then on AT and I thought it was hilarious so I figured I'd share it here. No matter where you find yourself leaning in regards to bow tuning, if you can't appreciate the humor you're way too insecure and should seek medical help. . .

Over the past two years of learning all I can about archery (specifically tuning), I believe there are essentially four "schools of thought" regarding how you approach tuning (this is meant to be humorous; I don't care where I'm wrong, just go with it).

"The Four Schools of Bow Tuning"

The Ranch Fairy Method

• <$600 bow setup ideally from a clearance rack at Walmart
  • All hunting situations involve animals walking 10 yards in front of you
  • Proper form is something used to complete a background check
  • .950 JDJ would be appropriate for squirrel hunting
  • Spongebob
Pros:
If the animal is in close range, it will die regardless if your bow is tuned or you shot less than three arrows in the off-season.

Cons:
Shots over 20-30 yards suck. You have to watch a crazy Texan with a Spongebob fetish (this may be a pro for some).

2. The Bow Shop Method
  • $600-$1000 bow setup
  • Comfortable having bow tuned at the shop with some coaching on form
  • May dip their toe in tuning with fletching own arrows
  • Prefer bow string colors matches truck… sunglasses… watchband… shoe laces…
  • Whisker biscuit
Pros:
Other than earning the cash to buy everything, you won't have to work too hard to have a tuned bow and shooting out to 30-40 yards with most broadheads.

Cons:
You may have some grouping issues that you'll never be able to explain or fix (or the shop won't know how or care to fix). You're susceptible to Ranch Fairy.

3. The Nock-On Knucklehead
  • A bow setup <$1,000 is not a bow; it's a toy
  • Practices archery form between kettlebell reps
  • Spends $1000+ building a bow tuning workshop without knowing how to use it
  • Looks over bow shop owner shoulder while questioning their methods
  • Neon Green
Pros:
You'll be committed to working towards perfect form and have a good understanding of how to correct some poor shots by moving your drop-away rest. Shots out to 60 yards are possible with practice (between workout sessions).

Cons:
You'd buy Nock-On brand condoms (or tampons) if they made them, but only in neon green.

4. The Super Tuners
  • Have more bows than silverware
  • Paper tuning is for beginners; use "the force"
  • Responds to every archery question with a list of questions (what draw weight, what speed, what did you eat that morning, what phase was the moon in...)
  • One does not simply move their rest
Pros:
So accurate that nothing is safe in the woods; if the animal is within 60-80 yards, it's dead or soon to be dead. Every issue can be corrected. A broadhead at 60 yards doesn't split the previous arrow? You'll fix that with a nanometer adjustment to you bow while checking your form.

Cons:
You'll get annoyed with all the invasive ranch bug talk that keeps coming up in forums. They still haven't made an arrow with 0.00000000000000001 weight/straightness consistency.

Funny stuff. I find myself vacillating between the two extremes...RF to Super Tuner. Still scratch my head sometimes. I did just watch a great YT video just put out by Eastman's Hunting Journals on broadhead tuning which was very simple and straightforward and I would point to this video for most bowhunters getting into the sport especially. I think this is the best compromise method for a majority of those of us who are hunters first, tuners second or third. I do enjoy tuning and setting up my own bow but it does oftentimes seem to be way more complicated than it needs to be. I really like this guy's approach to it. The best part about it..... no paper tuning!!! I think the only step I would add to his process to make it even more user friendly, especially in the field where you would not need to be reliant on a bow press is to go with peep type reference rather than an actual peep sight like a kisser or a nose button. My only other "ADD" is to make sure each of your carbon arrows are nock indexed and so if you're getting flyers, rather than relegate them to the practice only bin, try rotating your nocks a quarter turn and see what happens with that particular shaft or arrow. Of course he doesn't address cam lean, but he does suggest that you make sure the cam timing is properly set. My only other suggestion is to change the drop away cable attachment method as shown to a prussic which Average Jack just showcased on his channel a couple of weeks ago and he got the idea from another guy with a decent channel but I forgot the name of it. So with these minor modifications, you essentially would need no specialized gear to get your bow tuned for what we really care most about..... hunting!!! Let me know your thoughts:

As somebody who worked on bows until they began to hate them, I love this. You nailed the tropes. Especially the bro who looks over your shoulder and wants you to adjust his 3rd axis...but can't tell you what that is.

It amazes me that people derive pleasure from taking something incredibly simple and making it complex. It's not a computer or a small engine. At its heart, it's a just a stick throwing another stick.

Back