• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

tuning tools

Jay_Disarray

SH Member
Im making a list of a workshop for my compound bows, i would eventually like to learn how to be able to do anything i need to be able to do with my bow.

arrow spinner (https://www.amazon.com/Pine-Ridge-Archery-Arrow-Inspector/dp/B081HFQCD8)
scale for weighing arrows
string levels set
bowmaster bow press with l adapters
some sort of bow vice
bow scale
boat winch to make draw board

any other things i would need to get started to be able to do all my own bow work, or maybe pictures of your bow shop so newbs like myself can begin.

That arrow spinner sucks. I bought one, and the connecting piece broke off almost immediately. If you're handy, I'd suggest following the DIY Sportsman's guide for building your own.
For a bow vise, I highly recommend using a bicycle stand mounted to your workbench--it's cheap and very effective. Here's the one I use and like: https://www.roadbikeoutlet.com/prod...tPslG5c7Zh40XLwXtg3MC9M-aFvEQlVsaAoH1EALw_wcB.
You may also want to purchase or DIY an arrow saw, but that's definitely a luxury item, not necessary for all but the most avid bow-tinkering fellas.
Here are a couple other good threads discussing these issues: https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/bow-press-vice-input.25675/ and https://saddlehunter.com/community/...ly-bow-press-and-arrow-build-equipment.25513/.

For your bow press, I know the bowmaster is a popular choice. However I've had really good luck with the Synunm, its a bit more expensive than the bowmaster but I think the speed in which you can put it on/take it off makes it well worth it. If you set it up right you also have the added benefit of being able to completely relax/remove your limbs if necessary.

Dloop pliers are pretty handy but you can use needle nose, just harder.

Learn how to tie serving as well if you haven't already.

I just splurged and bought the October Mountain vice. Love that thing compared to my old Apple knockoff vice. Just bought a real press as well after years of using the bowmaster. Same results just a lot slower and cumbersome for the bowmaster.

Im ok with slow as long as it accomplishes the task. I may look into getting a better bow press down the road when I can set up a full shop and know what I'm doing. But for now I'm just getting started.

I did make myself an arrow spinner already using the catches for a cupboard drawer but I cannot spin it fast enough to where I feel that it "works"

Ill look into the bike stand

nice! I've been really thinking about this too!
have to try and stop myself from splurging to buy a last chance archery bow press almost every day!
then they have a draw board that attaches! haha

Other things i have on my list to add:
Serving for peep tying / nock sets : BCY 3D
D loop: BCY #24
D loop pliers: Easton makes a nice multi one or Outer Limit also
D loop wedge tool I've heard is cheap and really handy for getting a consistent loop size
Bow Square

Fletching jig i have a Bohning tower and no complaints, wanted to get an Arizona EZ-Fletch but at the time i was searching seemed hard to get in Canada
Bow vice i picked up an OMP and its great!

paper tuner:
I picked up two 2x4's at home depot along with 2 pieces of 16" metal strapping, some magnets, a dowel and the 3M roller floor covering paper
cut the same amount off each 2x4, one piece to make a bottom brace and the other cut in half for 2 feet, to build a tall frame
drilled holes for the dowel at the top to hold the paper roll and left the dowel long enough to stick out the side for a bow holder,
drilled the metal strapping to the front just below the dowel holes and one a few feet lower to brace the top of the frame and hold the magnets to keep the paper tight and just loaded the paper onto the dowel and draped over the front! =] - hope that makes sense, relatively inexpensive

other nice to haves:
Chronograph
Arrow saw - some come with arrow inspectors & squaring devices on them

Also would love to get into string building!! =/ oh man i need more a better job =[

I am a proponent of finding the stiff side of the arrow- different than finding static spine and then I adhere the cock feather to this side. Arrows coming out of a compound shot with a release flex in the vertical plane and getting all the arrows flexing the same really contributes to accuracy. As far as a press if you can find a Bow Time Machine they are great for working on bows. An OMP vise is a great addition. If you get into string making BAP jigs are really nice.

In addition to the other suggestions, a draw weight scale is nice to have to reset draw weight after changing stings / cables

Harbor freight has a hand winch for under $20 for a DIY draw board

Butcher paper works good for paper tuning

Propane torch and cool flex for installing inserts

Arrow squaring tool

Sharp utility knife

Sharpening stones / strop for sharpening broadheads and knives

String spreader for peep installation

Ranch fairy field tip test kit (100gn - 200gn)

Serving string

For your bow press, I know the bowmaster is a popular choice. However I've had really good luck with the Synunm
Looking into that one, but I'm not sure I'd like the rope system on that press, looks like it could get sketchy releasing it. Any thoughts on the rope system of that one?

For a bow vise, I highly recommend using a bicycle stand mounted to your workbench--it's cheap and very effective. Here's the one I use and like: https://www.roadbikeoutlet.com/prod...tPslG5c7Zh40XLwXtg3MC9M-aFvEQlVsaAoH1EALw_wcB.

Have u had many different bows in this vise? It says 30mm tube, roughly 1 3/16, and I'm wondering if the thin grip on my bear bow will be secure. Do the clamp jaws cover the grip or extend longer than the grip? Hope that makes sense.

Have u had many different bows in this vise? It says 30mm tube, roughly 1 3/16, and I'm wondering if the thin grip on my bear bow will be secure. Do the clamp jaws cover the grip or extend longer than the grip? Hope that makes sense.
I’ve only had my BowTech RPM 360 in it, and it holds very secure. Here are some pics I took to show measurements and how it holds my bow:

9FE04142-AE93-4476-A30D-524B16B91367.jpegE1CE1548-0860-4A11-95B7-CA87878AAF82.jpegB7602B18-9B84-48AB-BE9F-013BF4775030.jpeg333094ED-F934-4865-917A-32D2FD7A78FA.jpeg987767A0-6908-4485-A66B-C0FB74B14834.jpeg

Looking into that one, but I'm not sure I'd like the rope system on that press, looks like it could get sketchy releasing it. Any thoughts on the rope system of that one?
There's definitely a technique to releasing the tension on the press. That being said I only had one incident where the bow almost got away from me (shortly after getting the press): I had a string jump off the cam while letting the press down and it took a second for my panicked caveman brain to remember to just hold tension on the pull string. With the way the pull string sits in the housing, it almost wants to catch itself on the "locking wedge", it takes very little effort to wedge/lock up the press.

I've had my press for two years now and still use it on a regular basis. Since it packs down small and doesn't have any sharp edges on it, it has a permanent residence in my bow case (it's definitely seen some use at deer camp). YMMV

Hate to ask and use the buzz word....can u post some other photos? Maybe vertical and horizontal and 1 more of the grip clamp area? Sorry
PM me your cell # and I can either FaceTime you or send you a video so you can be sure you see what you're looking for.

Back