• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Turkey Broadheads

LarkHarrison243

What do you all use for broadheads during turkey season? do you use the same shafts or do you have different setups entirely?

I just put a montec through them ,I really wanna shoot one of them with a head chopper tip

I've taken turkeys with both my Zwickey Delta's, and older Thunder head 160's. Both these broadheads are 1 3/8" cutting diameter and weight between 160 and 175 grains. I use the same broadhead, shafts, and bow. for deer and turkey.

Magnus Bullhead 100 grain.
2 3/4 cut they fly great out of a bow or crossbow.

Last edited:
I've killed most with a large mechanical and that's definitely what I recommend most often when asked. Anything works just fine IF it's put in the right location but turkeys have a very small vital area. I've taken quite a few with very large fixed blades (Slick Trick Grizz Trick II) but you definitely want to steer clear of small fixed blade heads.

I've killed most with a large mechanical and that's definitely what I recommend most often when asked. Anything works just fine IF it's put in the right location but turkeys have a very small vital area. I've taken quite a few with very large fixed blades (Slick Trick Grizz Trick II) but you definitely want to steer clear of small fixed blade heads.
I've heard this a couple of times and I think that's the direction I am headed this season.

I"ve shot them with Muzzy MX4, bear razorheads, and Large pearson Deadheads. All did the job.

Biggest mechanical you can find in a front deploying design. Less pass throughs. Keeps the head flopping around inside doing damage on a less than stellar shot when they run or fly off. Spitfire gobbler getters have been good for me.

I'm not a fan of body shots on turkeys - I've killed them that way but also lost some.....My last 3 gobblers have been shot with Magnus Bullheads - 1 with compound(125 grain) and 2 with crossbow(100 grain) - dropped them like a rock. This year I'm back to being able to shoot my trad bows and plan to use Bullheads with my recurve.

I'm not a fan of body shots on turkeys - I've killed them that way but also lost some.....My last 3 gobblers have been shot with Magnus Bullheads - 1 with compound(125 grain) and 2 with crossbow(100 grain) - dropped them like a rock. This year I'm back to being able to shoot my trad bows and plan to use Bullheads with my recurve.

How is the tuning for the bullheads on your recurve, I regularly shoot magnus stinger and would like to try the bullheads. any tips before getting some, did you get the arrows that came with it or just the heads,

How is the tuning for the bullheads on your recurve, I regularly shoot magnus stinger and would like to try the bullheads. any tips before getting some, did you get the arrows that came with it or just the heads,
Redhawk - with the compound bow I went to a stiffer spine and longer feathers and it did well - I already had a wide range of arrows to try so did not get the arrow combo deal. I haven't shot the bullheads yet with the recurve but may have to go with a stiffer spine to make them work. I've been very limited on my shooting with the trad bows due to shoulder issues just now allowing me to shoot a little - only shooting once or twice a week and no more than 20 arrows - but plan to start playing with the bullheads soon. I will try and remember to post back my results on how they shoot - I may try them this weekend just to get an initial impression on how they shoot with my current setup.

I did email Mike Sohms at Magnus and ask him what he thought of using bullheads with a 40 lb trad bow - he said he would use the 100 grain for that - I'm not sure why he said that as I like the bigger diameter of the 125 grain with the trad to give me a larger margin for error but we will see how it goes when I shoot them....

I've had some guys say bullheads are not good with trad bows but I also know of several who have killed gobblers with the bullheads and around 50 lb bows that prolly aren't significantly faster than what I'm shooting so I'm not worried about that....

The results I've had with bullheads have been awesome so far to say the least....

I’ve put a bunch down with wasp jackhammers 1 3/4” . I love the Idea of the head lopper but completely changing my whitetail rig over to re-tune and then back again for deer sounds about as much fun as a root canal. The NAP gobbler getters always intrigued me with blunt tip just to transfer energy and reduce penetration. VPA turkey spurs got me thinking too a couple times but big cutting diameter if youre taking body shots has always given me a margin for error. With turkeys shot placement is the most important without a doubt. Any head will work but if you make a bad hit that’s probably one of the toughest animals of all time to track. I haven’t lost one yet but I know plenty who have and it usually resulted in the person not bow hunting for turkeys anymore. good luck btw with the whole process.

Now that I have 690 gr arrows flying like darts out of my compound, the thought of flinging one at a turkey doesn't sound great to me. I think I'll have to retune so I can use the rest of my FMJs and Trypans with footers this spring. The alternative for me is to get moving on my recurve. I have light arrows that fly good now and I can use fixed blades but I wonder about a 40# recurve with expandables. I'd like to select a heavier set up for my recurve that I can also use for deer before going out this spring, but I'll need to get my ass in gear.

I’ve put a bunch down with wasp jackhammers 1 3/4” . I love the Idea of the head lopper but completely changing my whitetail rig over to re-tune and then back again for deer sounds about as much fun as a root canal. The NAP gobbler getters always intrigued me with blunt tip just to transfer energy and reduce penetration. VPA turkey spurs got me thinking too a couple times but big cutting diameter if youre taking body shots has always given me a margin for error. With turkeys shot placement is the most important without a doubt. Any head will work but if you make a bad hit that’s probably one of the toughest animals of all time to track. I haven’t lost one yet but I know plenty who have and it usually resulted in the person not bow hunting for turkeys anymore. good luck btw with the whole process.
I think the small vital zone, along with how jittery I get anytime I am within range of an animal is going to push me to use a larger cutting broadhead than my muzzy's.

I'll probably use my Chinadermics. I had the Bullheads but didn't like carrying the full length arrows that they recommend and retuning my bow. But I'm also tempted to pick up a Savage 301 single shot 20ga with a TSS shell.

Back