• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Turkey Hunting -- Recs on Crow Call?

TNbowhunter

I'm looking for recommendations on a great crow call. I have a cheap plastic call, and I'm looking to upgrade. I have my eye on the Woodhaven crow call since I've been so impressed with their mouth calls and a crystal call I bought from them last year. Anyone have experience with that one or another they liked/disliked?

My buddy has the woodhaven, buy it. I’m pretty sold on woodhaven stuff as well. I don’t even use those types of calls but I want one just because it’s so awesome and I love woodhaven

I have used these for decades. PS Olt Crow Call on the left, Mallardtone M-285 Crow Call on the Right. Not sure they even make them but I've shocked a lot of gobblers with themCrow Calls.jpg

I carry a cheapo myself but rarely use it. Good turkey population where I hunt so not many times I need to get a shock gobble

You younger Dudes don't realize how good you have it now!! Back in my day when my father and I started turkey hunting in the early 1980's (and it isn't that long ago no matter what my daughters say!!!) we had to drive all over tarnation just trying to strike up a gobble. Then you realized everyone else was doing the same things so that's how we learned about later morning turkeys. Let the pressure guys fight for the classic off the roost hunts and we'd go back in at 8:30am or 9 after the hens left and have some fun. Now we have many more turkeys and I usually hear a gobble everytime I'm out. Didn't use to be that way fellas!!

I used to carry a goose call for awhile just to be different than everyone else. Worked well. I have some goose calls I'd sell, actually quite a few lol

Any rec’s on how not to sound like a moron with a turkey mouth call? The crow one I can handle, and not bad with a pot call but the mouth one. Sounds like a dying turkey haha

There is a process to learn to mouth call. Some people pick it up quickly; others, not so much. Rather than try to write something out, I recommend Shane Simpson’s mouth calling videos on YouTube.

Any rec’s on how not to sound like a moron with a turkey mouth call? The crow one I can handle, and not bad with a pot call but the mouth one. Sounds like a dying turkey haha
Mossburg has some good turkey videos on YouTube with Jason Cruize

Billy Yargus is good amd Scott Ellis

I am horrible at teaching someone. It’s hard to explain but the more you do it the better you’ll become. You have to experiment with changing how the air goes over the Reeds by a more narrow mouth or a more relaxed mouth. More tongue pressure on the reeds or less. So many things you can do to change the sound it’s tough to learn

You’re probably not using your diaphragm. It’s called a diaphragm call, people forget that a lot. Check out these I’ll post a link for u

I'm a total numb and this is really the first year of taking turkey hunt serious...the cheapo crow call I bought (primos I think) sound like crap to my ears....but it sure fools the local crows. I can get them all worked up...I figure if it fools the crow it should fool the turkeys too....
Same with the owl hooter....I have a family of barred owls that lives around my house year round and I've been having fun messing with them also..the wind was strong yesterday but I'm pretty sure I heard a gobble in response to the crow call but I can't be 100%
I still working on the mouth call also...that's a good informative video

Mossburg has some good turkey videos on YouTube with Jason Cruize

Billy Yargus is good amd Scott Ellis

I am horrible at teaching someone. It’s hard to explain but the more you do it the better you’ll become. You have to experiment with changing how the air goes over the Reeds by a more narrow mouth or a more relaxed mouth. More tongue pressure on the reeds or less. So many things you can do to change the sound it’s tough to learn
Really like Jason Cruize's videos too.

Back