• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Typical Mature buck bed in South

Added a drawing of this location that explains thing a little better. Red dots are the original rubline and the blue triangle is where I originally set up at. Yellow star is where I saw him as I walked up the draw. Black dot is the cedar tree bed and the red triangle is new stand location. Grey arrows are s wind movement patterns as I tested with milkweed and the green thermals is where evening and morning thermals pull. By coming in to this set up in Am, 2 hours before daylights, the thermals and S winds will work to my advantage if he chooses either ridge to travel (black dashes). This is a bullet proof set up as long as he is still alive and I can get in/set up while he is feeding wither in the peninsula or the hardwoods near the access trail. I now have a Browning Dark ops guarding the rub line - so Ill slip in late Sept and give it a peek as it is far enough away from his bedding area and close to where a human hiking trail is located. Always carry milkweed while scouting/prepping. i was able to drop a ton of it from height and verify the wind pattern at tree height and on the North ridge at nose height on trail and on top of ridge. That evening i was also able to verify the evening thermals off the ridge going to west. The area is thick with green briar with the ridges and the draw more open.

Pic.jpg.

@DaveT1963 watched this on you tube yesterday. Very insightful, thank you. I always listen when you speak.

Great info. I find the same things when it comes to buck bedding. They usually aren't "bam in your face obvious" spots. Sign is usually pretty subtle when it's being left by only one deer.

Excellent video and sketch to explain the setup. Wow, you are super aggressive getting into 45 yards of the bed. Maybe just because it is early scouting but if he does bed out of your range, it looks he has a clear line of sight to your tree. I don’t think I could stay still long enough for him to get up to feed into range without getting busted. Also Curious if a buck ever beat you to the spot going in 2 hours before light? Is that the typical time buffer you leave when setting up close to the bedroom.

Back