• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ultimate Tree Step Tool

Bchadwick1990

Just ordered this and was wanting to get some opinions/reviews. I am hoping to use screw in steps and a platform, just trying to keep it simple. They sell a screw in step pouch but looks like it goes on a belt loop and I'm sure with some mods it would fit my mantis. Haven't ordered it yet but wondering whats the best route to go for carrying just some ole screw in steps?

In my opinion, you're over-complicating this. Why do you need this to screw in a step? Cranford's bite real easy...never had a problem screwing them in or unscrewing just by hand. Tapping it in to get it started seems like a lot of noise?

Maybe those ameristeps are hard to start. If so, I would consider ditching them and buying cranfords and not using this tool.

Not sure I haven't tried it to know if its going to over-complicate it or not. I don't suppose I need it just seems like something that would make the task easier? Its not the bite I have an issue with its getting enough torque on some steps to get them screwed in and seated on the tree properly. I'm more wanting it for the handle to help screw them in.

Not sure I haven't tried it to know if its going to over-complicate it or not. I don't suppose I need it just seems like something that would make the task easier? Its not the bite I have an issue with its getting enough torque on some steps to get them screwed in and seated on the tree properly. I'm more wanting it for the handle to help screw them in.

OK. I hear you. I guess on my left side it is a little harder to screw in steps. I haven't used screw ins in a while. Take a look at bolts (tree hopper system)...that might be easier if you can screw in trees where you are.

I saw that kit but was a little hesitant on it because it seems like the carbon bolts just slide into the tree? Could be a good direction to go, I need to watch some more videos on it for sure. It does look like a very light setup for sure.

Any thoughts on the most simple way to climb? I guess simple is a relative term. I'm looking for the least amount of bulk. I figure 8-10 screw in steps and a platform is going to be as good as I can get as far as "bulk" is considered?

I saw that kit but was a little hesitant on it because it seems like the carbon bolts just slide into the tree? Could be a good direction to go, I need to watch some more videos on it for sure. It does look like a very light setup for sure.

Any thoughts on the most simple way to climb? I guess simple is a relative term. I'm looking for the least amount of bulk. I figure 8-10 screw in steps and a platform is going to be as good as I can get as far as "bulk" is considered?

You don’t have to go with carbon. Grade 8 steel bolts have about 1.5” of threads that help hold them in the tree. Having said that, I don’t think anyone is having issues with carbon rods

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you can drill trees, I dont think you can beat treehopper for weight, bulk, and simplicity. Check out nutterbuster's YouTube channel...he has some good videos.

They just slide in the hole, but they wont come out on their own....esp once weighted.

Screw I'm steps are fine too. But probably more bulk and noise than treehopper.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don’t think anyone is having issues with carbon rods

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

People have broken them.

This is a great thread to read on the subject of carbon bolts:

As one of the guys who first started using them, I love them, but definitely don't want to give the impression that they are bulletproof. Ultralight materials come with caveats.

Just ordered this and was wanting to get some opinions/reviews. I am hoping to use screw in steps and a platform, just trying to keep it simple. They sell a screw in step pouch but looks like it goes on a belt loop and I'm sure with some mods it would fit my mantis. Haven't ordered it yet but wondering whats the best route to go for carrying just some ole screw in steps?

I don't see a tool...well unless I look in the mirror...but no tool on this thread.

I bought 42 ameristeps this February for 27.00. I have used them for presets on pines and the ultimate tree step tool worked well. I also have a hand drill that I use with grade 8 bolts for presets and titanium rods for mobile sets. It’s definitely easier to drill a tree than screw an ameristep into it. Both are useful and I’ll probably get some more ameristeps this year if they hit the same sale after this season.

I bought 42 ameristeps this February for 27.00. I have used them for presets on pines and the ultimate tree step tool worked well. I also have a hand drill that I use with grade 8 bolts for presets and titanium rods for mobile sets. It’s definitely easier to drill a tree than screw an ameristep into it. Both are useful and I’ll probably get some more ameristeps this year if they hit the same sale after this season.

Thats a dang good price on those steps. I just snag a few here and there when I go to wal mart. I was looking at carrying 8-10 screw in steps, ultimate tree step tool, and a platform and calling it good. I have sticks but don't really care to lug them into the woods on random walks where I am going in to find a new place to set up and hunt.

Thats a dang good price on those steps. I just snag a few here and there when I go to wal mart. I was looking at carrying 8-10 screw in steps, ultimate tree step tool, and a platform and calling it good. I have sticks but don't really care to lug them into the woods on random walks where I am going in to find a new place to set up and hunt.
Ten bolts and hand drill weigh less than half and take up probably a third of the space as screw in steps.

Ten bolts and hand drill weigh less than half and take up probably a third of the space as screw in steps.

I agree and I shouldn't knock it until I try it but something about sliding bolts into the tree vs screwing something into a tree just makes me feel safer? Idk I need to try it out just don't wanna spend the money on the drill now lol

I have the tree step tool and it makes putting in the ameri steps a lot easier to put in and take out. It takes me the same amount of time to use a hand drill and bolts. Both require more work than my lone wolf stick.

I guess there is the chance you could get your bow rope wrapped around a bolt and pull one out but that’s about it. Think of it like a receiver hitch on a pickup. If you pull the retaining pin it’ll slide in and out very easy. But if you press straight down on it with an excavator you will pick the front of the truck up without it budging. In some really soft wood I think @WHW drills at and angle because the holes elongate and you could possibly be pushing down and way from the tree. Even then the threads are gripping more than you think. It’s also super easy to pull the bolts out and make it less likely someone would find your tree.

I have the tree step tool and it makes putting in the ameri steps a lot easier to put in and take out. It takes me the same amount of time to use a hand drill and bolts. Both require more work than my lone wolf stick.

I have some LW sticks as well but they don't fit in my SYS hauler lol!

How do you go about carrying your sticks? Shoulder strap of some kind?

I use the carry shoulder strap lone wolf sales. I would like 2 kill 2 birds with 1 stone & use my tree rope.

I used to own Americrap steps and I hated them with a purple passion. I bought the step tool and they were better but still sucked compared to Cranford EZclmbs.
I still have the Cranfords but seldom use them since I switched to bolts.
Go cordless drill for presets and Treehopper hand drill for run and gun.
I love me some bolts.

You have to be practical. If you search "ultimate tree step tool" you will probably find many posts from me on it.

I have tons of trees prepped with the cheap ameristeps. For years I have preset trees with them using the ultimate tree step tool. I think it's amazing. Those steps suck to put in without the tool, the tool makes them very doable. I love the tool and I recommend it to anyone who is interested. It's not a mobile hunting method though. I average about 26 of those steps per tree when I do a preset. I use them to climb, for a ROS and then as a pack holder. I usually can get the steps on sale for around $1.50 a step. I love cranford steps, but I can't get them for anything close to that price, especially for steps I'm leaving in the woods and maybe not touching again for over a year.

You have to be practical. If you search "ultimate tree step tool" you will probably find many posts from me on it.

I have tons of trees prepped with the cheap ameristeps. For years I have preset trees with them using the ultimate tree step tool. I think it's amazing. Those steps suck to put in without the tool, the tool makes them very doable. I love the tool and I recommend it to anyone who is interested. It's not a mobile hunting method though. I average about 26 of those steps per tree when I do a preset. I use them to climb, for a ROS and then as a pack holder. I usually can get the steps on sale for around $1.50 a step. I love cranford steps, but I can't get them for anything close to that price, especially for steps I'm leaving in the woods and maybe not touching again for over a year.

Do you not think that with using a platform instead of a ROS and a small bow hanger you could do it with 10-12 steps? At 2’ increments it seems like it would get you plenty high. I’ve never really had a problem starting the screw in steps it’s getting enough torque on them to install them properly is the problem I run into.

Just curious why you think screw in steps aren’t a mobile hunting method? Or are you just saying the way you use them they aren’t?

Looking like I’m going to have to maybe try some bolts as well!

Back