• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Use Saddle as harness for steep slope

Epic_of_Gilgamesh

I'm entertaining a thought, though I understand the lack of it being practical.
There is some public land I've been hunting, about 100 acres, and it's more long (about a half mile) than wide, and valley continues to descend at least 100 ft with a very uncomfortable slope.
The deer are bedded in the valley, but it's very thick in the valley, and no way to get back there without making a whole lot of noise.
The slope can be climbed by hand, there are also deer trails coming up at an angle, say about 45 degree.
If I use a climbing rope and ascender/descender, could I rely on my saddle to climb up and down?

Ignoring everything else that is problematic with this thought experiment, I'm mostly interested to understand if the saddle could be reliable safety for climbing up and down the slope.

if i understand your goal, i dont see why not. essentially, thats what the equipment is used for...ascending and descending. just not as risky if something fails.

The terrain I’m hunting in this year has many steep slopes, bluffs, rock ledges or whatever you want to call them. In the off season when I was scouting alone I carried my 75’ or DRT rope and saddle with me just Incase I needed to get out of a bind.

separately I thought it would be cool to SRT/DRT up the side of one of the many drop offs to get to the higher hunting ground but I don’t have the nerve for those heights in the daylight much less in the dark.

depending on how far down you need to scale would be the only consideration. You may need to bring more rope then you’d want to bargain for. Generally speaking I agree with the others. We trust the saddles at hunting height what difference does the height and terrain make if the saddle still has to hold you.

Back