• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Using bolts for soft wood trees

Chrisparsons

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using bolts on soft wood like pines for pre sets. In the off season I was thinking about setting up trees using bolts. I haven’t used bolts before. Anyone’s experiences will be appreciated.

I found to put a little more up angle on the poplars and pines, besides that nothing different. And the pines sap SUCKS!!!! But I will continue to use line trees
I appreciate the info. What length bolts would you recommend?

Normal 6 inch, buried to the normal depth. I have bent less than grade 8 bolts with them being to long. The longer the bolt extends out the tree the more pressure you can put on the end. I wear size 14/15 boots and half a bolt is more than enough to climb on.

Last edited:
Normal 6 inch, buried to the normal depth. I have bent less than grade 8 bolts with them being to long. The longer the bolt extends out the tree the more pressure you can out on the end. I wear size 14/15 boots and half a bolt is more than enough to climb on.
Ok thanks for the help !

I found to put a little more up angle on the poplars and pines, besides that nothing different. And the pines sap SUCKS!!!! But I will continue to use line trees

This.

And definitely make sure you are climbing on grade 8 as previously mentioned. Grade 5 3/8"x6" bolts will send most folks for an unexpected ride when they bend under foot. If you are setting in the off season with a power drill and enough battery packs your best bet is grade 8 anything, but I have gotten away with all-thread that is cut to 6" and, I think, 7/16" diameter. I am about 210lbs. Your luck may vary. I did a video earlier this year talking about bolts and what not if interested. It is still my preferred method for preparing trees in the off season.

Definitely grade 8 bolts but I do differ a little in the fact that I use 7 inch bolts just because I like more area for my foot and as long as my 200lb butt has been using them, 3-4 years, I have never had any issues except the sap from pine trees it SUCKS!!!

Definitely grade 8 bolts but I do differ a little in the fact that I use 7 inch bolts just because I like more area for my foot and as long as my 200lb butt has been using them, 3-4 years, I have never had any issues except the sap from pine trees it SUCKS!!!
Just keep in mind that this is loading the bolts substantially more and increasing the chance that they fail. Not saying that it's an issue just pointing it out.

Just keep in mind that this is loading the bolts substantially more and increasing the chance that they fail. Not saying that it's an issue just pointing it out.
I have jumped up and down on the ends of the 7" ones and not had them bend in the slightest but thanks for looking out!

Back